Samia Abd El-Moneim Ebied, Nadia Aly Sadek, Nadia El-Sayed Zaki, Samir Ali Abd El- Kaream and Heba Khafagui Ahmed El Kashif
There is increasing evidence that angiotensin II (Ang II), a major regulator of blood pressure and cardiovascular homeostasis, is involved in the regulation of cell proliferation, angiogenesis, inflammation and tissue remodeling, which suggests that this peptide might also play a role in cancer [ 1 ]. The renin-angiotensin system (RAS) has been characterized extensively in hypertension and atherosclerosis, but recently its relevance to the fields of oncology and hematology are being studied [ 2 , 3 ].
The RAS pathway mediates its effect
Achard V, Boullu-Ciocca S, Desbriere R, Nguyen G, Grino M. Renin receptor expression in human adipose tissue. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292, R274–282, 2007.
Achard V, Tassistro V, Boullu-Ciocca S, Grino M. Expression and nutritional regulation of the (pro)renin receptor in rat visceral adipose tissue. J Endocrinol Invest 34, 840–846, 2011.
Albiston AL, McDowall SG, Matsacos D, Sim P, Clune E, Mustafa T, Lee J, Mendelsohn FA, Simpson RJ, Connolly LM, Chai SY. Evidence that the angiotensin IV (AT(4)) receptor is the enzyme
Algimantas Paulauskas, Asta Danileviciutė, Tadas Povilaitis and Jonas Poderis
., Carr, J. (2000). Angiotensin I-converting enzyme: Genotype and disease associations. J. Mol. Diag. , 2 (3), 105--115.
Folland, J., Leach, B., Little, T., Hawker, K., Myerson, S., Montgomery, H., Jones, D. (2000). Angiotensin-converting enzyme genotype affects the response of human skeletal muscle to functional overload. Exp. Physiol. , 85 , 575--579.
Gayagay, G., Yu, B., Hambly, B., Boston, T., Hahn, A., Celermajer, D.S., Trent, R.J. (1998). Elite endurance athletes and the ACE I allele: The role of genes in
Hamid Yaghooti, Mohsen Firoozrai, Soudabeh Fallah and Mohammad Reza Khorramizadeh
, Boysen PG, Cohen MV, Downey JM. Cardioprotection with adenosine A2 receptor activation at reperfusion. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2005; 46:794-802.
5. Sitkovsky MV. Use of the A2A adenosine receptor as a physiological immunosuppressor and to engineer inflammation in vivo. Biochem Pharmacol. 2003; 65: 493-501.
6. Mehta PK, Griendling KK. Angiotensin II cell signaling: physiological and pathological effects in the cardiovascular system. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007; 292: 82-97.
7. Grote K, Drexler H, Schieffer B. Renin-angiotensin
hypertension. Antihypertensive drugs such as thiazide diuretics and β-blockers adversely affect glucose metabolism and increase the risk of developing type-2 diabetes [ 3 - 6 ] , though this has been disputed [ 7 - 11 ] . On the other hand, drugs that interfere with the renin–angiotensin system (RAS) improve insulin sensitivity, produce a significant decline of albuminuria, induce a drop of the pathological glomerular hyperfiltration, and reduce the incidence of new-onset diabetes [ 12 - 17 ] . Therefore, the initial selection of antihypertensive therapy for obese
Zbigniew Heleniak, Zbigniew Zdrojewski, Piotr Wisniewski, Leszek Bieniaszewski, Boleslaw Rutkowski and Alicja Debska-Slizien
(ADMA): an endogenous inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase and a novel cardiovascular risk molecule. Med Sci Monit ., 15, RA91-101, 2009.
5. Deckert T., Feldt-Rasmussen B., Borch-Johnsen K. Albuminuria reflects widespread vascular damage. The Steno hypothesis. Diabetologia , 32, 219-226, 1989.
6. Fliser D. et al. Asymmetric dimethylarginine and progression of chronic kidney disease: the mild to moderate kidney disease study. J Am Soc Nephrol ., 16, 2456-2461, 2005.
7. Fujii H. et al. Renin-Angiotensin System Inhibitors Reduce Serum Asymmetric
duct obstruction triggers acute necrotizing pancreatitis in the opposum. Gastroenterology 1993; 104(3): 853-861.
Bhaskar S, Reddy DN, Mahurkar S, Rao GV, Singh L, Chandak GR. Lack of significant association of an insertion/deletion polymorphism in the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) gene with tropical calcific pancreatitis. BMC Gastroenterol 2006; 6:42-49.
Paul M, Mehr AP, Kreutz R. Physiology of local renin-angiotensin systems. Physiol Rev 2006; 86(3): 747-803.
Leung PS. The
Jintana Tanyong, Somchit Eiam-Ong, Pansiri Phansuwan and Somchai Eiam-Ong
1. Hennington BS, Zhang H, Miller MT, Granger JP, Reckelhoff JF. Angiotensin II stimulates synthesis of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Hypertension. 1998; 3:283-8.
2. Moreno C, Lopez A, Llinas MT, Rodriguez F, Lopez- Farre A, Nava E, et al. Changes in NOS activity and protein expression during acute and prolonged ANG II administration. Am J Physiol. 2002; 282:R31-7.
3. Kurtz A, Gotz K, Hamann M, Wagner C. Stimulation of renin secretion by NO doners is related to the cAMP pathway. Am J Physiol