For centuries, man, as an important part of nature, has caused irreparable damage to its equilibrium. After the Second World War, it became clear that this process had led to the extinction of several species of animals. In spite of the importance of biodiversity, it only became an international, political concept after the Earth Summit in 1992. This was held in Rio de Janeiro, where the Agreement on Biodiversity was signed by many countries. Since then, biodiversity as a term has been widely used by politicians, the media, social organisations and others.
The European Union intends to validate strict requirements and provisions concerning animal protection. Most of these provisions have been legally validated in Hungary, but the country still lags behind in some respects. Further problems accrue as legal regulations concerning protected animals have been very hard to enforce in practice.
Overall, we can conclude that, in order to successfully protect animals, society should improve its way of looking at animals as a living part of nature. Without such an attitude, even the most perfect statutes cannot effectively ensure the protection of animals.
Michał Gesek, Joanna Welenc, Zofia Tylicka, Iwona Otrocka-Domagała, Katarzyna Paździor and Agnieszka Rotkiewicz
1. AnimalProtectionAct of 21 August 1997 (Journal of Laws, 1997, No. 111, item 724).
2. Bashtar A., Abdel-Ghaffar F., Al-Rasheid K., Mehlhorn H., Al Nasr I.: Light microscopic study on Eimeria species infecting Japanese quails reared in Saudi Arabian farms. Parasitol Res 2010, 107, 409-416.
3. Mohammad N.H.: A study on the pathological and diagnosis of Eimeria species infection in Japanese quail. Bas J Vet Res 2012, 11, 318-333.
4. Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003 of the European
species for which protection standards have been laid down in European Union legislation (Journal of Laws [Dz. U.], 2010, no. 116 pos. 778).
AnimalProtectionAct (Journal of Laws [Dz. U.] of 30 July 2013, pos. 856).
I. Šulla, V. Balik, J. Petrovičová, V. Almášiová, K. Holovská and Z. Oroszová
1. AnimalProtectionAct of the Slovak Republic No. 15/1995, part 39 (In Slovak), 1250-1255.
2. Basso, M. D., Beattie, M. S., Bresnahan, J. C., 1995: A sensitive and reliable locomotor rating scale for open field testing rats. J. Neurotrauma, 12, 1-21.
3. Beneš, V., 1987: Spinal Cord Injuries (In Czech), 3rd edn., Avicenum, Prague, 189 pp.
4. Dolan, I., Šrámková, T., 2013: Spinal cord injuries, incidence in Slovakia and prevention. Via Pract., 10, 203-205.
5. Dryden, D
Ewa Tomaszewska, Piotr Dobrowolski, Krzysztof Kostro, Andrzej Jakubczak, Iwona Taszkun, Jadwiga Jaworska-Adamu, Andrzej Żmuda, Karol Rycerz and Siemowit Muszyński
1. AnimalProtectionAct of 21 August 1997. Act number 12. paragraph 2.
2. Boucher J.L., Cynober L.A.: Ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate: The puzzle. Nutrition 1998, 14, 870-873.
3. Bowman B.M., Miller S.C.: Skeletal adaptations during mammalian reproduction. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2001, 1, 347-355.
4. Dobrowolski P., Piersiak T., Surve V.V., Kruszewska D., Gawron A., Pacuka P. Gawron A., Håkanson R., Pierzynowski S.G.: Dietary a-ketoglutarate reduces gastrectomy-evoked loss of
Ewa Tomaszewska, Siemowit Muszyński, Piotr Dobrowolski, Krzysztof Kostro, Iwona Taszkun, Andrzej Żmuda, Tomasz Blicharski and Paweł Kędzia
1. AnimalProtectionAct. Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland No. 111, Item 724.
2. Belmadani A., Tramu G.: Regional selectivity to ochratoxin A, distribution and cytotoxicity in rat brain. Arch Toxicol 1998, 72, 656–662.
3. Blank R., Rolfs J.P., Südekum K.H., Frochlich A.A., Marquardt R.R., Wolfram S.: Effects of chronic ingestion of ochratoxin A on blood vessels and excretion of the mycotoxin in sheep. J Agricult Food Chem 2003, 51, 6899–6905.
4. Bryden W.L.: Mycotoxin contamination of the feed supply chain: implications
1. AnimalProtectionAct of Slovakia No. 15/1995, part 39 (In Slovak), 1250—1255.
2. Caplan, A. I., Dennis, J. E., 2006: Mesenchymal stem cells as trophic mediators. J. Cell. Biochem. , 98, 1076—1084.
3. Chesier, S. H., Kalani, M. Y. S., Lim, M., Ailles, L., Huhn, S. L., Weissman, I. L., 2009: A neurosurgeon’s guide to stem cells, cancer stem cells, and brain tumor stem cells. Neurosurgery , 65, 237—250.
4. Čížková, D., Rosocha, J., Vanický, I., Jergová, S., Čížek, M., 2006: Transplants of human mesenchymal stem cells
Gordana Brozović, Nada Oršolić, Ružica Rozgaj, Fabijan Knežević, Anica Horvat Knežević, Martina Maričić, Dajana Krsnik and Vesna Benković
. Chromosome aberrations in operating room personnel. Am J Ind Med 1999;35:642-6. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0274(199906)35:6<642::AIDAJIM11>3.0.CO;2-N
12. Rozgaj R, Kašuba V, Brozović G, Jazbec A. Genotoxic effects of anaesthetics in operating theatre personnel evaluated by the comet assay and micronucleus test. Int J Hyg Environ Health 2009;212:11-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2007.09.001
13. Zakon o zaštiti životinja [Animalprotectionact, in Croatian]. Narodne novine 135/2006.
14. Pravilnik o zaštiti životinja koje se koriste u