Gergana N. Sandeva, Rositsa P. Deliradeva and Pavlina L. Gidikova
Institution, National Public Health Institute, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health; 2008.
4. Ebener M, Freude G, Hasselhorn H. Why WAI? Der Work Ability Index im Einsatz für Arbeitsfähigkeit und Prävention Erfahrungsberichte aus der Praxis. Dortmund: Bundesanstalt für Arbeitsschutz und Arbeitsmedizin; 2013. German.
5. Ilmarinen J. The Work Ability Index (WAI). Occup Med. 2007;57:160.
6. Bethge M, Radoschewski FM, Gutenbrunner C. The Work Ability Index as a screening tool to identify the need for rehabilitation: longitudinal findings from the second
The purpose of the study was to present the ability of Drusen analysis software tool to measure drusen area and volume in patients with dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Eleven patients with confirmed dry AMD aged 59-74 years were scanned with 3D OCT-2000 Topcon 3D Macula scanning protocol by a single operator. All subjects underwent a complete ophthalmologic examination including best corrected visual acuity, indirect biomicroscopy, tonometry, fluorescein angiography and OCT. Drusen analysis was performed on the macula with 6.0 × 6.0 mm volume cube scans and 512×128 pixels scan resolution. The results were presented along with calculated values in two clearly arranged reports. Mean follow-up period was 19 months (6-40). Count, area occupation, volume of the drusen and 3D retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) elevation map were presented in a Macula drusen analysis report. Drusen count and volume in 6 patients were increased at the end of follow-up period. There were 5 patients with regression in drusen count and area and volume of the drusen in 3 of them were higher than on previous examination. Another 2 were with regression not only in drusen count but also in their area and volume. With this software tool the status of RPE can be objectively and automatically examined in detail and can be followed up over time. OCT allows for precise quantitative evaluation and study of microstructural changes in patients with dry AMD and provides three-dimensional information of macular pathology in situ and in real time. This could be useful for determining stages and monitoring the progression of AMD.
Rumyana N. Kuzmanova, Irina Z. Stefanova, Irena V. Velcheva and Katerina I. Stambolieva
The aim of the study is the translation, adaptation and validation of Side effects of antiepileptic drugs questionnaire in Bulgarian language (SIDAED-BG) in order to use it for objective monitoring of patients with epilepsy. One hundred and thirty one patients (mean age 40.13±13.37 years) took part in the investigation. The internal consistency and test-retest reliability were tested by Cronbach's α and ICC estimations. The convergent construct validity was evaluated by estimating the correlation of SIDAED-BG with the QOLIE-89 and the discriminant validity - by evaluation of the difference between SIDAED-BG scores and clinical parameters such as type of epilepsy using Kruskal-Wallis ANOVA. The Cronbach's α of the total scale was 0.93. The test-retest reliability was higher and determined the strong positive correlations between the first and second examination. The SIDAED-BG questionnaire showed good internal consistency (Cronbach's alpha ranged from 0.37 to 0.86) and the scores significantly correlated with other questionnaires such as QOLIE-89 and showed a good discriminative validity between groups with different levels of self-assessed adverse effects of antiepileptic drugs. The Bulgarian version of SIDAED is a reliable and valid tool in assessing the patient-reported adverse effects of antiepileptic drugs and their impact on the patient's outcome.
Katia S. Kovacheva, Zornica B. Kamburova, Savelina L. Popovska, Ivan N. Ivanov, Maria N. Simeonova and Petia N. Angelova
Genetic testing for BRCA 1/2 mutation is a well recognized medical management tool. Identification of healthy carriers of such mutations allows effective risk reduction procedures to be performed. There is no data reported on the founder mutations in the Bulgarian population. To evaluate the contribution of genetic factors to breast cancer (BC), we investigated the carrier state of Bulgarian women with BC for five common (according to BIC database) deleterious BRCA1/2 mutations. The list of patients diagnosed with BC between January 2011 and April 2012 was obtained from the Cancer Registry of University Hospital, Pleven. Eighty-two women with BC were interviewed and a pedigree was constructed of each of them. The patients were classified into seven categories, according to personal, disease and family history. Based on the preliminary prepared selection criteria and the personal family history, we defined a target group of 33 Bulgarian women with BC. They were screened for five deleterious mutations: 5382insC in BRCA1 and 6174delT, 6079del4, 8138del5, 5946delCT in BRCA2, by DNA sequencing. The genetic analysis detected none of the tested mutations. Two polymorphic variants were found in BRCA2 gene: c.5744C>T (rs4987117, SNP database) in exonl 1E in one patient and c.7806-14T>C (rs9534262, SNP database) in exonl7 in 22 patients. In conclusion, without basic information on the founder mutations in the population, the genetic screening for the specific mutations in a small group of tested patients is ineffective.
1. Watson PH, Wilson-McManus JE, Barnes RO, Giesz SC, Png A, Hegele RG, et al. Evolutionary concepts in biobanking - the BC BioLibrary. J Transl Med. 2009; 7:95.
2. Harris JR, Burton P, Knoppers BM, Lindpaintner K, Bledsoe M, Brookes AJ, et al. Toward a roadmap in global biobanking for health. Eur J Hum Genet. 2012;20( 11): 1105-11.
3. Bravo E, Napolitano M, Santoro F, Belardelli F, Federic A. The Ital ian 1 lub of Population Biobanks as a potential tool for improving public health stewardship
Rumyana N. Kuzmanova, Irina Ts. Stefanova and Katerina I. Stambolieva
-related semantic networks in problem gamblers. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2004;29(1):195-207.
26. Weintraub D, Stewart S, Shea JA, Lyons K, Pahwa R, Driver-Dunckley E, et al. Validation of the questionnaire for impulsive-compulsive disorders in Parkinson’s disease (QUIP). Mov Disord. 2009;24(10):1461-7.
27. Cabrini S, Baratti M, Bonfa F, Cabri G, Uber E, Avanzi M. Preliminary evaluation of the DDS-PC inventory: a new tool to assess impulsive-compulsive behaviours associated to dopamine replacement therapy in Parkinson’s disease. Neurol Sci. 2009;30(4):307-13.
Nina P. Ayvazova, Violeta S. Rilcheva, Emiliana I. Konova, Roumen G. Roussev and Pavel I. Rashev
cytometric measurement of sperm nuclear DNAfragmentation in infertile men with normal standard sperm parameters. J Mens Health. 2009;6(1):50-5.
13. Bungum M. Sperm DNAintegrity assessment:anew tool in diagnosis and treatment of fertility. Obstet Gynecol Int. 2012;2012:1-6.
14. Nikolettos N, Kupker W, Demirel C, Schopper B, Blasig C, Sturm R, et al. Fertilization potential of spermatozoa with abnormal morphology. Hum Reprod. 1999;14(1):47-70.
15. Saengsoi W, Shia WY, Shyu C L,Wu JT,Warinrak C, Lee WM, et al. Detection of
Violeta S. Rilcheva, Nina P. Ayvazova, Lyubomira O. Ilieva, Svetlana P. Ivanova and Emiliana I. Konova
sperm chromatin structure assay as a diagnostic tool in the human fertility clinic. Hum Reprod. 1999;14:1039-49.
11. Larson KL, DeJonge CJ, Barnes AM, Jost LK, Evenson DP. Relationship of assisted reproductive technique (ART) outcomes with sperm chromatin integrity and maturity as measures by the sperm chromatin structure assay (SCSA). Hum Reprod. 2000;15:1717-22.
12. Morris ID, Ilott S, Dixon L, Brison DR. The spectrum of DNA damage in human sperm assessed by single cell electrophoresis (COMETassay) and its relationship to
Regina Komsa-Penkova, Svetla J. Todinova, Tonya D. Andreeva, Sashka B. Krumova, Stefka G. Taneva, Georgi M. Golemanov, Galia A. Georgieva, Nikolina M. Mihaylova, Andrey I. Tchorbanov and Pencho T. Tonchev
thromboembolism and their adult family members. Genet Med. 2011 ;13(l):67-76. doi: 10.1097/GIM.0b013e3181 fbe46f. PubMed PMID:21150787.
12. Franz CM, Puech P-H. Atomic Force Microscopy: A versatile tool for studying cell morphology, adhesion and mechanics. Cell Mol Bioeng. 2008;l(4):289-300. doi: 10.1007/s 12195-008-0037-3.
13. Lee IS, Marchant RE. Force measurements on platelet surfaces with high spatial resolution under physiological conditions. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2000;19(4):357-65.
14. Ortega JE, Barron