Zahra Abrishami, Mitra Mahdavi-Mazdeh, Farzanehsadat Minoo and Monireh Amerian
Introduction. Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) is the main tool to assess kidney function. Some experts suggest cystatin C as a more precise and accurate indicator than creatinine to calculate GFR. This study is designed to assess if cystatin C is more helpful in early diagnosis and better follow-up of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) patients who may benefit more from appropriate and timely management.
Methods. We studied 312 patients in different stages of CKD and normal kidney function as control. GFR based on creatinine (Jaffe and enzymatic) and cystatin C were calculated and compared.
Results. A total of 146(46.8%) patients were male with a mean age of 53±17.5 years. The patients were divided into 3 groups based on GFR (>60 cc/min/1.73m
2, 30< GFR<60cc/min/1.73m
2). No significant differences in GFR estimation based on creatinine and cystatin C were found.
Conclusions. There were no significant differences between serum cystatin C-based formula and creatinine-based formula for GFR calculation. Therefore, they can be used interchangeably.
20. Kimmel PL. Depression in patients with chronic renal disease: What we know and what we need to know. J Psychom Res 2002; 53 : 951-956.
21. Kimmel PL, Peterson RA: Depression in end stage renal disease patients: Tools, correlates, outcomes and needs. Semin Dial 2005; 18: 91-97.
22. Kimmel P, Peterson, R. Depression in End-Stage Renal Disease Patients Treated With Hemodialysis: Tools, Correlates, Outcomes, and Needs. Seminars in Dialysis 2005; 18(2): 91-97.
23. Knight EL, Ofsthun N, Teng M, et al. The association
Harun Akar, Emin Taskiran, Dilek Taskiran and Oytun Erbas
Health 2015; 15: 647.
6. Franz MJ, Boucher JL, Rutten-Ramos S, VanWormer JJ. Lifestyle weight-loss intervention outcomes in overweight and obese adults with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Acad Nutr Diet 2015; 115(9): 1447-1463.
7. Miranda-Massari JR, Gonzalez MJ, Fernando AS, et al. Metabolic Correction as a tool to improve diabetes type 2 management. Bol Asoc Med Puerto Rico 2015; 107(2): 54-59.
8. Pryor R, Cabreiro F. Repurposing metformin: an old drug with new
Lidija Orlic, Ivana Mikolasevic, Martina Pavletic-Persic, Ita Jelic, Sanja Raspor-Flajsman and Sanjin Racki
transplantation: a series of 20 patients and review of the literature. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 2: 1014-1023.
40. Terrier B, Delmas Y, Hummel A, et al . Post-allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation membranous nephropathy: clinical presentation, outcome and pathogenic aspects. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2007; 22: 1369-1376.
41. Romagnani P, Lazzeri E, Mazzinghi B, et al . Nephrotic syndrome and renal failure after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: novel molecular diagnostic tools for a challenging differential diagnosis. Am J Kidney Dis 2005