Karina Tomaszewska, Joanna Kałużna-Czaplińska and Wojciech Jóźwiak
Thermal and thermo-catalytic degradation of polyolefins as a simple and efficient method of landfill clearing
Thermal degradation of the low density polyethylene (LDPE), polypropylene (PP) and the municipal waste plastics was investigated. The thermo-catalytic degradation of LDPE and PP was studied in the presence of the following catalysts: four different types of montmorillonite: K5, K10, K20, K30 and - for comparison - zeolites (natural - clinoptilolite, YNa+ and YH+). Thermal analyses TG-DTA-MS of polymers and polymer-catalyst mixtures were carried out in an argon flow atmosphere in isothermal and dynamic conditions. The following order was found: in lowering the reaction temperature for LDPE degradation YH+ > mK5 > mK20 = mK30 >mK10 > NZ > YNa+; for PP degradation: mK20 > mK5 = mK30 >mK10 > YH+ > NZ > YNa+. The activity tests were carried out in a stainless steel batch reactor under atmospheric pressure in a wide temperature range of up to 410°C, and using the atmosphere of argon flow. The liquid products were analysed by the GC-MS method. The hydrocarbons in the liquid products from thermal degradation of polymers were broadly distributed in the carbon fractions of C8 to C26 - for LDPE and C6 to C31 for PP.
Y.J. Aghazada, Vaqif M. Abbasov, Sanan E. Abdullayev, Elgun K. Hasanov and Sevinc S. Suleymanova
natural oils”. Ind. Lubr. Tribol. 54(4) 165–170. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00368790210431718
8. Zvirko, O.I., Mytsyk, A.B., Tsyrulnyk, O.T., Gabetta, G. & Nykyforchyn, H.M. (2017). Corrosion Degradation of Steel of an Elbow of Gas Pipeline with Large-Scale Delamination after Long-Term Operation. Mater. Sci. 52(6). 861–865 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11003-017-0032-8 .
9. Ghai, I., Wentz, J., DeVor, R.E., Kapoor, S.G. & Samuel, J. (2010). Droplet behavior on a rotating surface for atomization-based cutting fluid application in micromachining. J. Manuf. Sci
Technology, Kodansha Ltd., Tokyo, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, New York, 2002 .
Fernández A., Lassaletta G., Jiménez V. M., Justo A., González-Elipe A. R., Herrmann J. -M., Tahiri H., Ait-Ichou Y.: Preparation and characterization of TiO 2 photocatalysts supported on various rigid supports (glass, quartz and stainless steel). Comparative studies of photocatalytic activity in water purification, Appl. Catal. B: Environ. , 1995 , 7(1 - 2), 49 - 63.
Grzechulska J., Morawski A. W.: Photocatalytic labyrinth flow
. Photobiol. C: Photochem. Rev. 1(1), 1 - 21. DOI: 10.1016/S1389-5567(00)00002-2
Kaneko, M. & Okura, I. (2002). Photocatalysis. Sc ience and Technology. Kodansha Ltd., Tokyo, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, New York.
Fernández, A., Lassaletta, G., Jiménez, V.M., Justo, A., González-Elipe, A.R., Herrmann, J.-M., Tahiri, H. & Ait-Ichou, Y. (1995). Preparation and characterization of TiO 2 photocatalysts supported on various rigid supports (glass, quartz and stainless steel). Comparative studies of photocatalytic
electrooxidation of phenol, CN − , S 2− and NH 4 + in synthetic wastewater using boron doped diamond anode. J. Environ. Chem. Eng . 4, 2656–2664. DOI: 10.1016/j.jece.2016.04.011.
22. Piotrowska, G. & Pierozynski, B. (2017). Electrodegradation of phenol through continuous electrolysis of synthetic wastewater on platinized titanium and stainless steel anodes. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci . 12, 4444–4455. DOI: 10.20964/2017.05.74.
23. Pierozynski, B. & Mikolajczyk, T. (2012). Hydrogen evolution reaction at Ru-modified carbon fibre in 0.5 M H 2 SO 4 . Int. J
photocatalytic degradation of C.I. Acid Yellow 23 by ZnO photocatalyst. J. Hazard. Mater. B, 133(1-3), 226-232. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.10.022.
18. Ray, A. K. & Beenackers, A.A.C.M. (1997). Development of a new photocatalytic reactor for water purification. Catalysis Today, 40(1), 73-83. DOI: 10.1016/S0920-5861(97)00123-5.
19. Ray, A.K. & Beenackers, A.A.C.M. (1997). Novel swirl- -flow reactor for kinetic studies of semiconductor photocatalysis. A.I.Ch.E. Journal, 43(10), 2571-2578. DOI: 10.1002/ aic.690431018.
20. Chen, D