Maya P. Danovska, Margarita L. Alexandrova and Irena I. Gencheva
Individuals with hypertension and diabetes mellitus are at high risk of cerebrovascular and cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Recent advances in the multifactorial pathophysiology of atherogenesis provide important information about the complex interrelations between traditional risk factors, inflammation and oxidative stress in mediating all stages of atherosclerosis. The objective of the study was to determine if some inflammatory and oxidative stress markers in patients with arterial hypertension and diabetes mellitus differ from those in healthy age-matched controls. Our results revealed a significant difference in blood pro/antioxidant activities in hypertensive diabetics and the controls. The investigation of inflammatory and oxidative stress markers along with traditional risk factors proves useful in complex assessment of vascular risk and primary prophylaxis of cerebrovascular and cardiovascular events.
Pavlina L. Gidikova, Gergana N. Sandeva, Kamelia H. Haracherova and Rositsa V. Sandeva
4. Kotchen TA. Obesity-Related Hypertension: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, and Clinical Management. Am J Hypertens. 2010;23(11):1170-78.
5. Global Burden of Metabolic Risk Factors for Chronic Diseases Collaboration (BMI Mediated Effects), Lu Y, Hajifathalian K, Ezzati M, Woodward M, Rimm EB, Danaei G. Metabolic mediators of the effects of body-mass index, overweight, and obesity on coronary heart disease and stroke: a pooled analysis of 97 prospective cohorts with 1.8 million participants. Lancet. 2014;383(9921):970-83.
6. Van Gaal LF, Mertens IL, De
Rositsa V. Sandeva, Stanislava M. Mihaylova and Gergana N. Sandeva
, Shioda S. Neuronal circuits involving ghrelin in the hypothalamus-mediated regulation of feeding. Neuropeptides. 2010;44(2):133-8.
14. Kamegai J, Tamura H, Shimizu T, Ishii S, Sugihara H, Wakabayashi I. Chronic central infusion of ghrelin increases hypothalamic neuropeptide Y and Agouti-related protein mRNA levels and body weight in rats. Diabetes. 2001;50(11):2438-43.
15. Tartaglia LA, Dembski M, Weng X, Deng N, Culpepper J, Devos R et al. Identification and expression cloning of a leptin receptor, OB-R. Cell. 1995;83(7):1263-71.
16. Münzberg H
Valentina P. Popova, Mariya P. Sredkova, Hristina H. Hitkova, Kaloyan T. Ivanov and Vladimir G. Popov
other antibiotics. J Infect Chcmothcr. 2011; 17(4):575-8.
28. Salem-Bekhit MM, Moussa L Muharram MM, Alanazy FK, Hefiti HM. Prevalence and antimiaobial resistance pattern of multidrug-rcsistant cntrcrococci isolated from clinical specimens. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2012;30( I );44-51.
29. Frazzon A, Gama BA, Hames V, Bierhals CG, Pereira RL Gucdcs AG ct al. Prevalence of antimicrobial resistance and molecular characterization of tetracycline resistance mediated by ref (M) and let (L) genes in Enterococcus spp. isolated from food in
Nina P. Ayvazova, Violeta S. Rilcheva, Emiliana I. Konova, Roumen G. Roussev and Pavel I. Rashev
1. Larsen M, Artym V, Green JA, Yamada KM. The matrix reorganized: extracellular matrix remodeling and integrin signaling. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2006;18(5):463-71.
2. Hulboy DL, Rudolph LA, Matrisian LM. Matrix metalloproteinases as mediators of reproductive function.Mol Hum Reprod.1997;3(1):27-45.
3. Smith MF, Ricke W, Bakke LJ, Dow MPD, Smith GW. Ovarian tissue remodeling: role of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors. Mol Cel Endocrinol. 2002;191(1):45-56.
4. Baumgart E
Regina Komsa-Penkova, Svetla J. Todinova, Tonya D. Andreeva, Sashka B. Krumova, Stefka G. Taneva, Georgi M. Golemanov, Galia A. Georgieva, Nikolina M. Mihaylova, Andrey I. Tchorbanov and Pencho T. Tonchev
1. Hartwig J. Mechanism of actin rearrangements mediating platelet activation. J Cell Biol. 1992;118:1421-42.
2. Rheinlaender J, Vogel S, Seifert J, Schachtele M, Borst O, Lang F, et al. Imaging the elastic modulus of human platelets during thrombininduced activation using scanning ion conductance microscopy. J Thromb Haemost. 2015; 113(2):305-11.
3. Parise LV, Smyth SS, Coller BS. Platelet morphology, biochemistry, and function. In: Lichtman MA, Beutler E, Kaushansky K, Kipps TJ, Seligsohn U, Prchal
Regina S. Komsa-Penkova, Georgi M. Golemanov, Zdravka V. Radionova, Pencho T. Tonchev, Sergej D. Iliev and Veselin V. Penkov
vascular smooth muscle cells undergo vesicle-mediated calcification in response to changes in extracellular calcium and phosphate concentrations: a potential mechanism for accelerated vascular calcification in ESRD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:2857-67.
37. Westenfeld R, Schäfer C, Krüger T, Haarmann C, Schurgers LJ, Reutelingsperger C, et al. Fetuin-A protects against atherosclerotic calcification in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:1264-74.
38. Triffitt JT, Owen ME, Ashton BA, Wilson JM. Plasma disappearance of rabbit alpha2HS- glycoprotein and its uptake by
Andrey V. Grek, Lyudmyla N. Prystupa and Tatiana V. Sytnik
maintenance of leucocite−endothelial cell rolling interactions in inflammed arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293(5):H2786-98.
9. Pereira IA, Borba EF. The role of inflammation, humoral and cell mediated autoimmunity in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Swiss Med Wkly. 2008;138(37-38):534-9.
10. Stancu CS, Toma L, Sima AV. Dual role of lipoproteins in endothelial cell dysfunction in atherosclerosis. Cell Tissue Res. 2012;349(2):433-46.
11. Lusis AJ. Atherosclerosis. Nature. 2000;407:233-41.
12. Etsuo N. Do free radicals play causal
Tsvetelina V. Petkova-Marinova, Boryana K. Ruseva and Bisera D. Atanasova
AL, Rocha JB. Diphenyl diselenide and diphenyl ditelluride differentially affect delta-aminolevulinate dehydratase from liver, kidney, and brain of mice. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2000;14(6):310-9.
39. Zhang J, Johnston G, Stebler B, Keller ET. Hydrogen peroxide activates NFkappaB and the interleukin-6 promoter through NFkappaB-inducing kinase. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2001;3(3):493-504.
40. Nemeth E, Valore EV, Territo M, Schiller G, Lichtenstein A, Ganz T. Hepcidin, a putative mediator of anemia of inflammation, is a type II acute-phase protein. Blood