1. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5; Washington, DC: 2013.
2. Andrade CP, Sesso RC. Depression in Chronic Kidney Disease and Hemodialysis Patients. Psychology 2012; 3, (11): 974-978.
3. Bautovich A, Katz I, Smith M, et al. Depression and chronic kidney disease: A review for clinicians. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2014; 48(6): 530-541.
4. Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, et al. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry
identification and management, recommended care processes can be translated into measurable statements and it is possible to articulate and measure the desired outcomes of treatment. [ 20 ] The care of these patients accounts for 17% of the available reward for general practices in the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) for England. [ 21 ] At present, five indicators are included (see Table 2 ), which focus upon hypertension as a discrete condition, six on the management of blood pressure in patients with other conditions such as diabetes, two upon modifiable risk
Juan José Marín-Peñalver, Iciar Martín-Timón and Francisco Javier del Cañizo-Gómez
transition out of hospital so as to prevent readmission.
Here, we review the management of T2DM patients who are admitted to the general medical wards of the hospital for a procedure of intercurrent illness. The treatment of hyperglycemia in patients with artificial nutrition and with corticosteroid therapies, and the perioperative management of T2DM are also discussed.
Considerations on Admission
We must measure glucose level in all patients admitted to the hospital as is advised in clinical guidelines. [ 2 , 4 ] Those with hyperglycemia, defined as blood
Petar Kes, Vesna Furic-Curko and Nikolina Basic-Jukic
, Beck M, Eyskens F, et al. Fabry disease: a review of current management strategies. QJM 2010; 103(9): 641-659.
6. Breunig F, Wanner C. Update on Fabry disease: kidney involvement, renal progression and enzyme replacement therapy. J Nephrol 2008; 21(1): 32-37.
7. Wilcox WR, Oliveira JP, Hopkin RJ, et al. Females with Fabry disease frequently have major organ involvement: lessons from the Fabry Registry. Mol Genet Metab 2008; 93(2): 112-128.
8. MacDermot KD, Holmes A, Miners AH. Anderson-Fabry disease: clinical manifestations and impact of disease in a
Ana Belazelkovska, Mirjana Popovska, Goce Spasovski, Jelka Masin-Spasovska, Svetlana Cekovska, Aneta Atanasovska-Stojanovska, Kristina Mitic and Vera Radojkova-Nikolovska
1. Hamid MJAA, Dummer CD, Pinto LS. Systemic conditions, oral findings and dental management of chronic renal failure patients: General considerations and case report. Braz Dent J 2006; 17: 166-170.
2. Rossi SS, Glick M. Dental considerations for the patients with renal disease and renal disease receiving haemodyalisis. J Amer Dent Assoc 1996; 19: 127-211.
3. Mosannen Mozaffari P, Amirchaghmaghi M, Mortazavi H. Oral Manifestations of Renal Patients Before and After Transplantation: A Review of Literature. DJH 2006; 1(1): 1
The use of antiplatelets is an important approach toward the management of cardiovascular diseases and prevention of thrombotic events. Responses to antiplatelet therapy may vary among individuals, referred to as the antiplatelet therapy response variability. Even with aspirin, a conventional antiplatelet, the treatment can sometimes appear ineffective. Alongside the continuous advances in interventional therapy and development of new antiplatelet agents, resistance to aspirin has attracted more and more clinical attention. This article reviews
Steroids are widely used in oncology, from cancer curative treatment to supportive care. They have a demonstrated anticancer effect (i.e., leukemia or lymphoma management) or antiswelling effect (i.e., brain tumor or brain metastases) and are considered to improve refractory symptoms such as dyspnea or gastrointestinal (GI) obstruction. Although this could contribute to the assertion that they are always useful, there is little evidence for the effectiveness and toxicity of corticosteroids in cancer. Some uncontrolled studies reported benefits
Suli Wang, Chun Qiao, Yu Zhu, Wenyi Shen, Guangsheng He and Jianyong Li
. Although the T315A/F359I/M244V mutations were still positive, the quantity of BCR-ABL (P210) fusion gene was 8.98%, and the bone marrow cell chromosome was 46, XX .
Under the tyrosine kinase inhibitions (TKIs) therapy, there are still a number of patients with CML who progress to BC. How this leukemia transforms from a relatively indolent CP to an aggressive BC is still unclear. [ 2 ] Once BC happens, the management depends on the type of leukemia (myeloid or lymphoid) and if they successfully achieve CR or not. [ 3 ] Allogeneic stem cell
Ding Zhu, Chao Zhang, Huahao Shen and Songmin Ying
contribute to the low control rates, such as less responsiveness to pharmacologic therapy, complications of other diseases, incorrect use of inhaler devices, poor medication compliance, and smoking.[ 5 , 6 ] In recent years, a lot of researchers have focused on making new exploratory interventions to improve asthma management and control.
Bronchial thermoplasty (BT) is one of such interventions. According to the stepwise approach to asthma control recommended by Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) guidelines in 2014 and 2015, BT can be applied in the fifth
Muhammad Osama Butt, Nasir Hassan Luck, Syed Mujahid Hassan, Zaigham Abbas and Muhammed Mubarak
Peliosis hepatis (PH) is a rare, benign condition characterized by the presence of blood-filled lacunar spaces in the liver. It usually has a chronic presentation and is a rare cause of portal hypertension reported in adult patients. There are diverse etiologies of this condition; however, the cause remains unclear in 25–50% of patients. [ 1 - 5 ] The pathogenesis and management are still controversial. Prognosis is largely determined by the underlying cause and is generally guarded. [ 6 - 10 ]
Herein, we present a case of a young female