dairy intakes of adolescents are associated with their home environment, taste preferences, personal health beliefs, and meal patterns. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106:1816-24.
5. Pon LW, Noor-Aini MY, Ong FB, Frcog AN, Mog SS, Shamsuddin K, et al. Diet, nutritional knowledge and health status of urban middle-aged Malaysian women. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2006; 15:388-99.
6. Pongchaiyakul C, Charoenkiatkul S, Kosulwat V, Rojroongwasinkul N, Rajatanavin R. Dietary calcium intake among rural Thais in Northeastern Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai. 2008
Chajchawan Nakhakes, Somluk Jaruluxananan, Yuthana Saengsuda and Sureerat Saengsuda
geographic area, dietary calcium intake, and ethnicity, we cannot assume the same prevalence in Thailand as in Mediterranean Europe and the Middle East. The objective of this study was to measure the prevalence of osteoporosis in patients with nonmajor thalassemia in Thailand.
Osteoporosis is a prominent cause of morbidity in children and adults of both sexes with thalassemia [ 4 - 6 ]. Pathogenesis of thalassemia-induced osteoporosis (TIO) involves ineffective erythropoiesis and bone marrow expansion, endocrine complications, iron overload and iron chelation therapy
Juraiporn Somboonwong, Khunkhong Huchaiyaphum, Onanong Kulaputana and Phisit Prapunwattana
. 1986 250 R1003 6
27 Palmquist DL. The role of dietary fats in efficiency of ruminants. J Nutr. 1994; 124:1377S-82S. Palmquist DL. The role of dietary fats in efficiency of ruminants J Nutr. 1994 124 1377S 82S
28 Choi BR, Palmquist DL. High fat diets increase plasma cholecystokinin and pancreatic polypeptide, and decrease plasma insulin and feed intake in lactating cows. J Nutr. 1996; 126:2913-9. Choi BR Palmquist DL. High fat diets increase plasma cholecystokinin and pancreatic polypeptide, and decrease plasma insulin and feed intake in
Thanyaphon Khammeree, Ratana Vichiansiri, Kittisak Sawanyawisuth and Nuttaset Manimmanakorn
, thyroid hormone, or vitamin D. Eligible patients provided written informed consent before participating. The anonymity of the data received was assured.
All patients who met the study criteria were interviewed and checked for vitamin D levels. One of the authors (TK) interviewed all patients regarding baseline characteristics including SCI data, history of dietaryintake, history of sunlight exposure, and history of sunscreen use. Sources and frequency of vitamin D and calcium dietary consumption were evaluated for the previous six months. These were classified as
Adawan Permpanich, Vithaya Kulsomboon and Kamol Udol
populations, baseline consumption of fish, doses and duration of n-3 PUFAs treatment [ 11 - 16 ]. Dose response and time course of n-3 PUFAs intake contribute to the physiologic effects which are most likely to account for CV risk reduction [ 17 ]. As such, a meta-analysis of studies using high concentration of n-3 PUFAs for at least 1-year, which would be long enough for n-3 PUFAs to demonstrate efficacy, would be a suitable evidence of the effectiveness of n-3 PUFAs in specific groups of patients.
Due to the development of medications and technologies, people tend to
Bisphenol A (BPA), a xenoestrogenic monomer, is a common industrial chemical and is used to synthesize polycarbonate plastic polymers, which are applied to manufacture of various products such as compact discs, automobile parts, plastic water and baby bottles, plastic dinnerware, eyeglass lenses, toys, and thermal paper, and epoxy resin linings in cans for food products [ 1 ]. Over 3 thousand million kilograms of BPA are produced each year. Recent studies have shown that dietary ingestion is a major route (99%) of human exposure to BPA contamination, especially
Nongluk Phetkrajaysang, Nakarin Sansanayudh, Supakit Wongwiwatthananukit and Sarinee Krittiyanunt
vitamin D for bone health and prevention of autoimmune diseases, cancers, and cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 80: 1678s-88s.
6. Mathieu C, Gysemans C, Giulietti A, Bouillon R. Vitamin D and diabetes. Diabetologia. 2005; 48: 1247-57.
7. Pittas AG, Dawson-Hughes B, Li T, Van Dam RM, Willett WC, Manson JE, et al. Vitamin D and calcium intake in relation to type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetes care. 2006; 29:650-6.
8. Grandi NC, Breitling LP, Brenner H. Vitamin D and cardiovascular disease: systematic review and
Wilma Delphine C. R. Silvia and Bharat P. V. Kumar
by glucose or insulin: a double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover clamp study. Diabetes. 2003; 52:16-20.
29. Lee HM, Wang G, Englander EW, Kojima M, Greeley Jr GH. Ghrelin, a new gastrointestinal endocrine peptide that stimulates insulin secretion: enteric distribution, ontogeny, influence of endocrine, and dietary manipulations. Endocrinology. 2002; 143: 185-90.
30. Dixit VD, Schaffer EM, Pyle RS, Collins GD, Sakthivel SK, Palaniappan R, et al. Ghrelin inhibits leptin- and activation induced proinflammatory cytokine expression by
Khunton Wichajarn, Somporn Liammongkolkul, Nithiwat Vatanavicharn and Duangrurdee Wattanasirichaigoon
fasting, high protein intake, injury or surgery can also provoke a catabolic crisis. Each catabolic crisis results in a worsening of psychomotor development; therefore, close monitoring of growth, nutritional and metabolic status is highly recommended to prevent decompensated catabolic crisis and psychomotor deterioration. Close monitoring of plasma amino acids is very necessary in long-term dietary management because the patients have higher risk of essential amino acid deficiency. In this study, one patient with MMA was deficient in several amino acids after excessive