1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Statespecific mortality from sudden cardiac death - United States, 1999, MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 2002;51:123-6.
2. Myerburg RJ, Castellanos A. Cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death. Braunwald E, ed. Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: WB Saunders; 1997:742-779.
3. de Vreede-Swagemakers JJ, Gorgels AP, Dubois-Arbouw WI, et al. Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in the 1990’s: a populationbased study in the
1. Go AS, Mozaffarian D, Roger VL, et al. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics—2014 Update. Circulation. 2014;129:e28-e292. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000441139.02102.80
2. Berdowski J, Berg RA, Tijssen JG, Koster RW. Global incidences of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and survival rates: Systematic review of 67 prospective studies. Resuscitation. 2010;81:1479-1487. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.08.006.
3. Fukuda T, Ohashi-Fukuda N, Kondo Y, Sera T, Doi K, Yahagi N. Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Outcomes of Out
Theodora Benedek, Monica Marton Popovici and Dietmar Glogar
, et al. Favourable survival of in-hospital compared to out-of-hospital refractory cardiac arrest patients treated with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: an Italian tertiary care centre experience. Resuscitation. 2012;83:579-83. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2011.10.013.
6. Dworschak M. Is extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest superior compared with conventional resuscitation? Crit Care Med. 2013;41:1365-6. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31828044c0.
7. Le Guen M, Nicolas-Robin A, Carreira S, et al. Extracorporeal life
arteriovenous fistula can be attempted [ 1 ]. Adjunctive measures include placement of an inferior vena cava (IVC) filter, and fasciotomy [ 8 ]. Given the high incidence of PE with PCD, IVC filter placement is an important measure to prevent further PE that may be a complication of treatment.
A previously healthy 46-year-old male, on no medications, presented following a pulseless electrical activity (PEA) arrest after collapsing at home. He was resuscitated and had the return of spontaneous circulation before arriving at the nearby tertiary care hospital
Evelin Szabó, Diana Opincariu, Zsolt Parajkó, Noémi Mitra, Theodora Benedek and Imre Benedek
, Agewall S, et al. 2017 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation. Eur Heart J . 2018;39:119-177.
5. Khera S, Kolte D, Gupta T, et al. Temporal Trends and Sex Differences in Revascularization and Outcomes of ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction in Younger Adults in the United States. J Am Coll Cardiol . 2015;66:1961-1972.
6. Atwood C, Eisenberg MS, Herlitz J, Rea TD. Incidence of EMS-treated out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Europe. Resuscitation . 2005;67:75-80.
7. Dumas F
developmental arrest. Hum Reprod 1993; 8(5): 744-751.
Lechniak D, Pers-Kamczyc E, Pawlak P. Timing of the first zygotic cleavage as a marker of developmental potential of mammalian embryos. Reprod Biol 2008; 8(1): 23-42.
Rosenbusch B, Glaeser B, Brucker C, Schneider M. Endoreduplication of the hyperhaploid maternal complement and abnormal pronuclear formation in a human zygote obtained after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Ann Genet 2002; 45(3): 157-159.
Rosenbusch B, Schneider M, Gläser B
Andreea Bărcan, Monica Chițu, Edvin Benedek, Nora Rat, Szilamer Korodi, Mirabela Morariu and Istvan Kovacs
10. Park JS, Cha KS, Lee DS, et al. Culprit or multivessel revascularisation in ST-elevation myocardial infarction with cardiogenic shock. Heart. 2015;101:1225-32.
11. Mylotte D, Morice MC, Eltchaninoff H, et al. Primary percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with acute myocardial infarction, resuscitated cardiac arrest, and cardiogenic shock: the role of primary multivessel revascularization. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013;6:115-25.
12. Ostenfeld S, Lindholm MG, Kjaergaard J, et al. Prognostic implication of out
Raluca M. Tat, Adela Golea, Ştefan C. Vesa and Daniela Ionescu
Despite fifty years of research, cardiac arrest (CA) and complications resulting from hypoxic organ injury, remains one of the most significant challenges faced by physicians, knowing that the vast majority of patients with CA have an unfavourable prognosis with a higher chance of death and severe neurological disabilities [ 1 , 2 , 3 ]. In the last few years, efforts have been focused on the best way to detect those patients who have a chance to survive and to recover.
In an attempt to identify patients who survived after resuscitated CA
Sebastian Adeberg, Denise Bernhardt, Semi B. Harrabi, Nils H. Nicolay, Juliane Hörner-Rieber, Laila König, Michael Repka, Angela Mohr, Amir Abdollahi, Klaus-Josef Weber, Juergen Debus and Stefan Rieken
ATP production, induction of cell cycle arrest, autophagy, and apoptotic processes through activation of adenosine-5’-monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK) 5 and inhibition of the mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin) pathway in glioblastoma cells. 6 , 7
AMPK is a serine/threonine kinase that functions as a cellular energy sensor. AMPK is an obligate heterotrimer, consisting of one catalytic subunit (α) and two regulatory subunits (β and γ). 8 Under cellular stress conditions, AMPK is activated by increased AMP-to-ATP ratios to promote catabolism and