, many biochemical parameters, for instance, liver enzymes, platelets, albumin, and scoring systems based on aforementioned markers, have been used to investigate NAFLD ( 14 , 15 , 16 ).
Pentoxifylline (PTX), a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, although commonly used for peripheral vascular disease, is one of the antioxidants considered for NASH treatment. Besides its antioxidant activity and inhibition of proinflammatory cytokine production (tumor necrosis factor alpha – TNF-α), it exerts pleiotropic pharmacological effects ( 17 ). Additionally, it has been implied
Marek Lecewicz, Rafał Strzeżek, Anna M. Majewska, Piotr S. Purpurowicz and Władysław Kordan
-Hani S.A. (2011). Semen quality and chemical oxidative stress; quantification and remediation. ETD Archive, 24, https://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/etdarchive/24 .
Banihani S.A., Abu-Alhayjaa R.F. (2016). The activity of seminal creatine kinase is increased in the presence of pentoxifylline. Andrologia, 48: 603–604.
Barakat I.A., Danfour M.A., Galewan F.A., Dkhil M.A. (2015). Effect of various concentrations of caffeine, pentoxifylline, and kallikrein on hyperactivation of frozen bovine semen. Biomed. Res. Int., 2015: 1–7.
Belala R., Fatmi S
Roland Kaufmann, Franziska Mußbach, Annett Urbanek, Utz Settmacher and Ferdinand von Eggeling
17. Gluck N, Schwob O, Krimsky M, Yedgar S. Activation of cytosolic phospholipase A2 and fatty acid transacylase is essential but not sufficient for thrombin-induced smooth muscle cell proliferation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 2008; 294: C1597-603.
18. Leslie CC. Properties and regulation of cytosolic phospholipase A2. J Biol Chem 1997; 272: 16709-12.
19. Cardoso CC, Paviani ER, Cruz LA, Guma FC, Borojevic R, Guaragna RM. Effect of pentoxifylline on arachidonic acid metabolism, neutral lipid synthesis and accumulation during induction of the lipocyte phenotype
disease. Atherosclerosis 239: 192-202, 2015.
28. Ma YY, Li L, Yu CH, Shen Z, Chen LH, Li YM. Effects of probiotics on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 19: 6911-6918, 2013.
29. Dyson JK, Anstee QM, McPherson S. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a practical approach to treatment. Postgrad Med J 91: 92–101, 2015.
30. Li W, Zheng L, Sheng C, Cheng X, Qing L, Qu S. Systematic review on the treatment of pentoxifylline in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Lipids Health Dis 10: 49, 2011
Anna Domosławska, Sławomir Zduńczyk, Wojciech Niżański and Tomasz Janowski
2005, 61 , 1250-1255.
10. Linde-Forsberg C.: Achieving canine pregnancy using frozen and chilled extended semen. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2001, 21 , 467-485.
11. Mickelsen W.D., Memon M.A., Anderson B.P., Freeman D.A.: The relationship of semen quality to pregnancy rate and litter size following artificial insemination in the bitch. Theriogenology 1993, 39 , 553-560.
12. Milani C., Fontbonne A., Sellem E., Steletta C., Gerard O., Romagnoli S.: Effect of post-thaw dilution with caffeine, pentoxifylline, 2
Ali Hajimohammadi, Khalil Badiei, Parviz Kheibari, Meherdad Pourjafar and Aliasghar Chalmeh
the capacity to bind with high affinity to this active portion of LPS and neutralise its biological activity, which leads to restriction of the pro-inflammatory cytokine cascade ( 14 , 19 ). Treatment with polymyxin B to attenuate clinical endotoxaemia is frequently used in adult horses for conditions such as strangulating intestinal lesions, pleuropneumonia, and postpartum metritis, with beneficial effects ( 34 ). The effects of intravenous applications of pentoxifylline and polymyxin B on the acute-phase-response to Escherichia coli endotoxin in dwarf goats
inhibition attenuates organ dysfunction and elevated endothelin levels in LPS-induced DIC model rats. J Thromb Haemost 2005, 3 , 1050-1055.
4. Col R., Keskin E., Atalay B.: Effect of pentoxifylline on endotoxin-induced haemostatic disturbances in rabbits. Acta Vet Hung 2005, 53 , 325-335.
5. Delgado M., Martinez C., Pozo D., Calvo J.R., Leceta J., Ganea D., Gomariz R.P.: Vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) and pituitary adenylate cyclase-activation polypeptide (PACAP) protect mice from lethal endotoxemia through the inhibition of TNF-a and
Michał Dzięcioł, Agnieszka Noszczyk-Nowak, Katarzyna Michlik, Wojciech Niżański and Grzegorz Dejneka
, Marfil G, Jauregui J, Lagioia E., Luther M.: Transrectal Doppler sonography for evaluation of uterine blood flow throughout pregnancy in 13 cows. Theriogenology 2006, 66, 2113-2119.
28. Paulus W.E, Strehler E, Zhang M, Jelinkova L, El-Danasouri I.: Benefit of vaginal sildenafil citrate in assisted reproduction therapy. Fertil Steril 2002, 77, 846-847.
29. Pozor M, Muehlhaus J, King A, Macpherson M.L, Troedsson M.H, Bailey C.S.: Effect of pentoxifylline treatment on testicular perfusion and semen quality in Miniature horse stallions. Theriogenology 2011, 76, 1027
Hieronim Borowicz, Krzysztof Kubiak, Goran Nikolovski and Artur Niedźwiedź
Sephadex-induced airway inflammation. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 95, 43-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7843.2004.pto950109.x PMid:15245576
46. Hay, D.W., Goldie, R.G. (1998). Potential pathophysiological role of endothelin-1 in asthma. Drug News Perspect 11, 411-418. http://dx.doi.org/10.1358/dnp.19126.96.36.1990500 PMid:15616682
47. Leguillette, R., Desevaux, C., Lavoie, J. (2002). Effects of pentoxifylline on pulmonary function and results of cytological examination of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in horses with recurrent airway obstruction. Am J