Shahinul Alam, SKM Nazmul Hasan, Golam Mustafa, Mahabubul Alam, Mohammad Kamal and Nooruddin Ahmad
therapeutic interventions to control concomitant disease, for example, hyperlipidemia, hypertension and type 2 DM. Pentoxifylline (PTX) is known to decrease oxidative stress.[ 10 ] PTX also has hydroxyl and peroxyl radical scavenging effects[ 11 ] and specifically inhibits lipid peroxidation.[ 12 ] Moreover, pentoxifylline has anti-inflammatory properties and it is also known to definitely suppress TNF- α gene transcription, preventing TNF- α synthesis.[ 13 ] Therefore, PTX plays an important role in the inhibition of second hit hypothesis required for pathogenesis of
Viera Kristová, Milan Kriška, Róbert Vojtko, Miriam Petrová, Silvia Líšková, Radoslav Villáris, Zoltán Varga and Martin Wawruch
, Djibril MN, Fačkovcová D, Kriška M, Kurtanský A. (2002). Comparison of vasoconstrictor responses to selected NSAIDs in rabbit renal and femoral arteries. Bratisl Lek Listy 103 : 50-53.
Kristová V, Kiss A, Pirnik Z, Kriška M, Ježová D. (2006). Effect of pentoxifylline on endothelaemia and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis activation in female rats under stress exposure. Gen Physiol Biophys 25 : 81-89.
Kristová V, Kriška M, Babál P, Djibril MN, Slámová J, Kurtanský A. (2000). Evaluation of endothelium
Claudia Floriana Suciu, Andreea Varga, Corneliu Florin Buicu and Ioan Tilea
pentoxifylline administration. Am J Nephrol. 2006;26(6):562–70.
4. Fogo AB. Mechanisms of progression of chronic kidney disease. Pediatr Nephrol. 2007;22(12):2011–22.
5. Snaedal S, Heimbürger O, Qureshi AR, et al. Comorbidity and acute clinical events as determinants of C-reactive protein variation in hemodialysis patients: implications for patient survival. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009;53(6):1024-33.
6. Turkmen K, Guney I, Yerlikaya FH, Tonbul HZ. The relationship between neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio and inflammation in end-stage renal disease patients. Ren Fail
Stoyanka Tancheva, Stefka V. Valcheva-Kuzmanova, Radko Zl. Radev, Miroslav D. Marinov, Borislav Boychev, Temenuga Stoeva, Svetlozara K. Boyadjieva and Kiril Sv. Nenov
1. Yagmurlu A, Boleken ME, Ertoy D, et al. Preventive effect of pentoxifylline on renal scarring in rat model of pyelonephritis. Urology 2003;61(5):1037-41.
2. Li ML, Liang B, Tang JW, et. al. Pharmacodynamic study of Relinqing granules on bacterial pyelonephritis model in rats. Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi 2006;31(2):153-5.
3. Emamghorashi F, Owji SM, Kohanteb J, et al. Every other day gentamicin injection in experimental pyelonephritis in rats: risk of scar formation. Iran J Med Sci 2007
Eliza Russu, Adrian Vasile Mureșan, Bogdan Andrei Cordoș, Constantin Copotoiu and Ovidiu Simion Cotoi
by different graft materials In Vitro are affected by pentoxifylline and iloprost. J Biomed Master Res. 1997;36:400.
7. Raiter A, Bechor Z, Kleiman M, et al. Angiogenic peptides improve blood flow and promote capillary growth in a diabetic and ischaemic mouse model. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2010;40(3):381-388.
8. Alobaid N, Salacinski HJ, Sales KM, et al. Nanocomposites containing bioactive peptides promote endothelialisation by circulating progenitor cells: An In Vitro evaluation. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2006
Raina G. Ardasheva, Mariana D. Argirova, Valentin I. Turiiski and Athanas D. Krustev
10. Eğin S, Açıksarı K, Ercan G, et al. Effects of pentoxifylline on oxidative stress in rats with abdominal compartment syndrome model. Int J Surg Open 2016;5:5-10.
11. Bloomfield GL, Ridings PC, Blocher CR, et al. A proposed relationship between increased intraabdominal, intrathoracic, and intracranial pressure. Crit Care Med 1997;25(3):496-503.
12. Kovacheva N, Ardasheva RG, Marchev V, et al. Experimental model of abdominal compartment syndrome. International Turkish Medical Student Congress (IMESCON), 6-8 May 2011, Samsun
Răzvan A. Ciocan, Sorana D. Bolboacă, Şerban Rădulescu, Bogdan Stancu, Andra Ciocan and Claudia D. Gherman
critical limb ischemia? J Vasc Surg 2003;37:704-8.
24. Norwegian Pentoxifyllin Multicenter Trial Group. Efficacy and clinical tolerance of parenteral pentoxifylline. Int Angiol 1996;15:75-80.
25. Brock FE, Abri O, Baitsch G, et al. [Iloprost in the treatment of ischemic tissue lesions in diabetics. Results of a placebo-controlled multicenter study with a stable prostacyclin derivative.] Schweiz Med Wochenschr 1990;120:1477-82 [German].
26. Brass EP, Anthony R, Dormandy J, et al. Parenteral therapy with lipo-ecraprost, a
Liliya V. Vasileva, Kremena Е. Saracheva, Mariya V. Ivanovska, Atanaska P. Petrova, Emir Sucouglu, Mariana A. Murdjeva and Damyanka P. Getova-Spasova
chronic mild stress protocol introduces a combined model of depression in rats: Reversibility by imipramine and pentoxifylline. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2014;126:152-62.
13. Konsman JP, Veeneman J, Combe C, et al. Central nervous action of interleukin-1 mediates activation of limbic structures and behavioural depression in response to peripheral administration of bacterial lipopolysaccharide. Eur J Neurosci 2008;28(12):2499-510.
14. Mattioli L, Funari C, Perfumi M. Effects of Rhodiola rosea L. extract on behavioural and physiological
Shahinul Alam, Mohammad Jahid Hasan, Md. Abdullah Saeed Khan, Mahabubul Alam and Nazmul Hasan
management of NASH. [ 22 ] Among different drugs tested, [ 23 ] vitamin E, [ 24 , 25 ] pioglitazone, [ 25 ] liraglutide, [ 26 ] telmisartan, [ 27 ] pentoxifylline [ 28 ] were found to improve histological activity and fibrosis in different degrees. But these must be balanced with their potential adverse effects. Therefore, diet and lifestyle modification, with weight reduction remains the mainstay of treatment in these patients. [ 16 , 22 ] Previous studies testing the effectiveness of lifestyle modification in NAFLD have found that 7 to 10% weight loss is