on mercury chloride induced changes on the spleen of adult wistar rats. J Exp Clin Anatomy 13 : 60–65.
Jacob S, Thangarajan S. (2017). Effect of gestational intake of fisetin (3,3’,4’,7-Tetrahydroxyflavone) on developmental methyl mercury neurotoxicity in F1 generation rats. Biol Trace Elem Res 177 : 297–315.
Jagadeesan G, Kavitha AV, Subashini J. (2005). FT-IR Study of the influence of Tribulus terrestris on mercury intoxicated mice, Mus musculus liver. Trop Biomed 22 : 15–22.
Jagadeesan G, Kavitha AV. (2006). Recovery of phosphatase
Hajnal Kelemen, Gabriel Hancu, Serban Andrei Gâz-Florea, Eniko Nemes-Nagy, Lajos Attila Papp and Eleonora Mircia
Macrocycl Chem. 2016;84(3-4):189-196.
20. Wang JH, Cai Z – Investigation of inclusion complex of miconazole nitrate with β-cyclodextrin. Carbohydrate polymers. 2008;72(2): 255-260.
21. Gupta HKK – Solid state compatibility studies of miconazole using thermal and spectroscopic methods. Adv Anal Chem. 2015;5(3):51-55.
22. Barillaro V, Dive G, Ziémons et al. – Theoretical and experimental vibrational study of miconazole and its dimers with organic acids: Application to the IR characterization of its inclusion complexes with cyclodextrins. . Int J Pharm
Gordana D. Radosavljevic, Jelena Pantic, Ivan Jovanovic, Miodrag L. Lukic and Nebojsa Arsenijevic
1. Liu FT, Rabinovich GA. (2005). Galectins as modulators of tumour progression. Nat Rev Cancer, 5(1), 29-41.
2. Radosavljevic G, Volarevic V, Jovanovic I, Milovanovic M, Pejnovic N, Arsenijevic N, et al. (2012). The roles of Galectin-3 in autoimmunity and tumor progression. Immunol Res, 52,100–110.
3. Moutsatsos IK, Wade M, Schindler M, Wang JL. (1987). Endogenous lectins from cultured cells: nuclear localization of carbohydrate binding protein 35 in proliferating 3T3 fibroblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 84, 6452–6456.
4. Yu F
Slavoljub C. Živanović, Ružica S. Nikolić and Goran M. Nikolić
21. Erdogan G, Karadg R. Quercetin (3,3’,4’,5,7- pentahydroxyflavone) complexes with calcium(II) and magnesium(II), its potentiometric and spectrophotometric studies. Rev Anal Chem 2005; 24: 9-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/REVAC.2005.24.1.9
22. Paczkowska M, Lewandowska K, Bednarski W et al. Application of spectroscopic methods for the identification (FT-IR, Raman spectroscopy) and determination (UV, EPR) of quercetin-3-Orutinoside. Experimental and DFT based approach. Spectrochim Acta A 2015; 140
Marin Prpic, Ivan Kruljac, Davor Kust, Petar Suton, Neva Purgar, Lora Kirigin Bilos, Marin Gregov, Iva Mrcela, Maja Franceschi, Nikola Djakovic and Ana Frobe
study. Thyroid function was assessed during the pre-treatment diagnostic workup in all patients by evaluating the presence of thyroid-related symptoms and checking medical history, to identify possible pre-existing thyroid dysfunction. In patients with suspected HT, additional blood tests including thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), free thyroxine (fT4) / thyroxine (T4), and free triiodothyronine (fT3) / triiodothyronine (T3) were performed. Exclusion criteria were total thyroidectomy prior to the start of radiotherapy, patients who had irradiation to the head and
Jozo Grgic, Filip Sabol, Sandro Venier, Jason Tallis, Brad J. Schoenfeld, Juan Del Coso and Pavle Mikulic
optimal for everyone? Inter-individual variation in caffeine ergogenicity, and a move towards personalised sports nutrition Sports Med 2018 48 1 7 16
Pickering C, Kiely J. What should we do about habitual caffeine use in athletes? Sports Med , 2019; 49(6): 833– 42 30173351 10.1007/s40279-018-0980-7
Pickering C Kiely J What should we do about habitual caffeine use in athletes? Sports Med 2019 49 6 833 42
Pickering C. Caffeine, CYP1A2 genotype, and sports performance: is timing important? Ir J Med Sci , 2019; 188(1): 349–50 29633162
Introduction: The nutritive value and terapeuthic activity of watermelon seeds is known, but up to day no studies on isolation and characterisation of their melanin were conducted.
Objective: The aim of the study was to evaluate the antioxidant, antibacterial and light barrier properties of raw and purified melanins isolated from watermelon seeds.
Methods: Native melanin was isolated from seeds by alkaline extraction. Obtained pigment was purified by acid hydrolysis. Chemical tests and FT-IR analysis were conducted to determine the melanin nature of the isolated pigments. UV-Vis, transmittance and colour properties were evaluated spectrophotometrically. Antioxidant activity was determined using ABTS and antibacterial activity through a well diffusion method.
Results: The results of the study demonstrated that melanins isolated from watermelon seeds had antioxidant, light barrier and antibacterial properties. A purified form of melanin had higher antioxidant activity and light barrier properties than the raw form. Both melanins inhibited the growth of Enterococcus faecalis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Conclusions: Watermelon seeds may be considered as a promising source of natural melanin which possess remarkable therapeutic action that can support the traditional use of this plant in the ethnomedicine.
Alexandra Kalogeraki, Georgios Z. Papadakis, Dimitrios Tamiolakis, Iliana Karvela-Kalogeraki, Mihailos Karvelas-Kalogerakis, John Segredakis and Eleni Moustou
1. HYTIROGLOU P, PARK YN, KRINSKY G, THEISE ND. Hepatic precancerous lesions and small hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenteroly Clinics of North America. 2007; 36 (4):867-87.
2. KOJIRO M, WANLESS IR, ALVES V, et al. Pathologic diagnosis of early hepatocellular carcinoma: a report of the international consensus group for hepatocellular neoplasia . Hepatology 2009; 49 (2):658-64.
3. BRUIX J, SHERMAN M, LLOVET JM, et al. Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Conclusions of the Barcelona-2000 EASL conference . European
Duy Toan Pham, Thi My Huong Vo, Phuong Truong, Phuoc Tinh Ho and Manh Quan Nguyen
conducting other experiments. The mobile phase conditions were developed by our group based on the retardation factor (R f ) values of investigated compounds. The 4 systems were chosen because of their diverse polarity, and hence, gave R f s ranging from 0.2 to 0.8, which were suitable for early screening of compounds’ purities.
The melting points (mps) were measured using an open capillary method with Stuart SMP3 apparatus (Barloworld Scientific, UK). Infrared (IR) spectra were obtained on an FTIR Bruker Alpha T spectrophotometer (Bruker, USA
Małgorzata Michalczyk, Adam Zajac, Kazimierz Mikolajec, Grzegorz Zydek and Józef Langfort
( Simopoulos, 2008 ). Additionally, they reduce the concentration of LDL-cholesterol.
The current study evaluated the effects of a well-controlled 4-week low carbohydrate diet (LCD) followed by a 7-day carbohydrate loading protocol (Carbo-L) on the blood concentration of lipoproteins, glucose, insulin and the HOMA-IR index in competitive basketball players. Changes in body mass and body composition were also assessed.
Eleven male basketball players (age 24.27 ± 2.6 y; body mass (BM) 91.41 ± 5.17 kg; body height 192.8 ± 3.6 cm; fat free mass (FFM) 48.62 ± 6