Nematullah Shomoossi, Mostafa Rad and Mohammad Hasan Rakhshani
Nurses among other medical professions are expected and need to communicate in English. The present study will report the views of nurses and students of nursing on the efficacy of English programs at Iranian medical universities in three major areas: general usage, medical usage, and research usage.
This descriptive study included 130 students of nursing and 167 nurses selected through randomized clustering sampling. It was conducted in Sabzevar, Iran. They were asked to fill out a questionnaire including demographic information and 31 Likert questions on the effectiveness of ELT programs in medical universities.
The participants judged the efficacy of EFL instruction in the General English section to be 25.7306±8.29288 (out of 50), the Medical English to be 21.1434± 7.40024 (out of 45), and the Research usage to be 24.6496±11.56735 (out of 60), showing a wide gap. However, the effectiveness of the current ELT programs was not so differently judged by male and female participants. Males considered the Research usage to be more affected by the current programs but females did not think so; however, the difference of views was not statistically significant (P=0.019).
In general, the results indicated a wide gap between the judgment of nurses and students of nursing about the efficacy of the ELT programs in Iranian medical universities. Therefore, a change is needed to cater for the expectations from the nursing job as far as the English language is concerned as a means of communication in the world today.
Nasrin Baghdari, Mostafa Rad and Marzie Torkmannejad Sabzevari
. Teaching How to Break Bad News: Comparing Role-Play and Group Discussion on Practice of Medical Interns in Jahrom Medical School. Iranian J Med Educ 2012; 11 (7) :789-97
12. Ba-ados, Emerita. A blended-learning pedagogical model for teaching and learning EFL successfully through an online interactive multimedia environment. CALICO Journal. 2013;23(3): 533-50.
13. Wang P-W, Chen R-C, Chang S-Y. Assessment of Hospital Staff Satisfaction and Training Outcome Receiving Medical Ethics Education on Disclosure Using Multimedia Case Teaching Video.2012
Mohsen Koushan, Akbar Pejhan, Nematullah Shomoossi and Azam Shomoossi
1. Sadeghi K. Metric Yardstick: The status of EFL research evaluation in Iran. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher 2010, 19:475-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.3860/taper.v19i3.1855
2. Habibzadeh F. A bird’s eye view of science publishing and editing in Iran. Eur Sci Edit 2006;32:98-100.
3. Shomoossi N, Kooshan M.Success in Getting Articles Published by Iranian Medical Researchers:The Role of English Language. MidEast J SciRes 2011;7:689-94.
4. Rosenberg W, Donald A. Evidence-based medicine: an approach to clinical problem-solving. BMJ 1995; 310
Hossein Ranjbar, Seyed Hossein Khademi and Hossein Namdar Areshtanab
36. Berenji S. The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and StudentsAcademic Achievements in General EFL Classes. The Journal of Applied Linguistics. 2010;3:53-68.
37. Hasan Tehrani T, Karami Kabir N, Sheraghi F. The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence, Mental Health and Academic Achievement in Neyshabour Nursing Students. Scientific Journal of Hamadan Nursing & Midwifery Faculty. 2012;20:35-45. (In persian)
38. Yeganeh T, Soltani shal R, Kafee M, Hosseinkhanzadeh AA. The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence, Time
Emotional, Social, Cultural, Spiritual Intelligence and EFL Teachers’ Teaching Effectiveness. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 8(1), 138-148.
Organ, D.W. (1988). Organization Citizenship Behavior: The Good Soldier Syndrome, Lexington. MA: Lexington Books.
Pillai, K.G., Hodgkinson, G.P., Kalyanaram, G. & Nair, S.R. (2017). The Negative Effects of Social Capital in Organizations: A Review and Extension. International Journal of Management Reviews, 19, 97-124.
Silvera, D.H., Martinussen, M. & Dahl, T.I. (2001). The
of learner autonomy on teacher autonomy [Internet] System 1995 23 2 175 – 81 Available from http://eprints.teachingandlearning.ie/2753/1/Little%201995.pdf
23 Cakici D. An Investigation of Learner Autonomy in Turkish EFL Context. International Journal of Higher Education. 2017;6(2):89–99. https://doi.org/10.5430/ijhe.v6n2p89 10.5430/ijhe.v6n2p89 Cakici D. An Investigation of Learner Autonomy in Turkish EFL Context International Journal of Higher Education 2017 6 2 89 – 99 https://doi.org/10.5430/ijhe.v6n2p89
24 Gavrilyuk OA. Autonomy as a