3. Rahimi R, Nikfar S, Larijani B, Abdollahi M. A review on the role of antioxidants in the management of diabetes and its complication. Biomed Pharmacother 59: 365-373, 2005.
4. Dakhale GN, Cahudhari HV, Shrivastava M. Supplementation of vitaminC reduces blood glucose and improves Glycosylated haemoglobin in type 2 diabetes mellitus: A randomized, double blind study. Advances in Pharmacological Sciences Article ID 195271: 1-5, 2011.
5. Bhatt JK, Thomas S, Nanjan MJ. Effect of oral supplementation of
Patrick M. Honore, David De Bels, Luc Kugener, Sebastien Redant, Rachid Attou, Andrea Gallerani and Herbert D. Spapen
To the editor
Pharmacokinetic and dose-response data suggest a vitaminC (vit C) dose largely exceeding 3 g daily in critically ill patients. We recently proposed higher vit C dosing in cardiac arrest patients who require continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT).[ 1 ] In a reaction, Spoelstra-de Man et al . rebutted that increasing the vit C dose above 2 g/day during continuous veno-venous hemofiltration (CVVH) was unnecessary when normal plasma vit C concentrations are targeted. They based their standpoint on calculating less vit C removal during CVVH
1. Laires MJ, Monteiro CP, Bicho M . Role of cellular magnesium in health and human disease. Front Biosci 9: 262-276, 2004.
2. Houston DK, Johnson MA . Does vitaminC intake protect against lead toxicity? Nutr Rev 58(3 Pt 1): 73-75, 2000.
3. Van der Velden U, Kuzmanova D, Chapple IL . Micronutritional approaches to periodontal therapy. J Clin Periodontol 38: 142-158, 2011.
4. Pendyala G, Thomas B, Kumari S. The challenge of antioxidants to free radicals in periodontitis. J Indian Soc Periodontol 12: 79-83, 2008
Amal Saad-Hussein, Mohgah Sh. Abdalla, Wafaa Gh. Shousha, Gehan Moubarz and Aya H. Mohamed
. Res.Commun. 1972; 46: 849-54.
14. Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB. Glutathione S-transferases.The first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem. 1974; 249 (22):7130-9.
15. Satoh K. Serum lipid peroxide in cerebrovascular disorders determined by a new colorimetric method. Clin Chim Acta. 1978; 90(1):37-43.
16. Hayakawa R, and Jap J. Estimation of zinc. Toxicol Environ Health. 1961; 8: 14-8.
17. Harris LJ. Assessment of the level of nutrition: tests for vitaminC on groups of poorly fed
dangerous substance is acrolein, which is used as herbicide.
Acrolein could be responsible for COPD, asthma and lung cancer ( 9 ).
The list of effects is longer as a result of countless studies.
The impact of diet on smokers with different chronic respiratory diseases is also important. In managing COPD, many dietary options have been studied in order to find the best model. Higher intake of fruits and vegetables and vitaminC is associated with a slower forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV 1 ) decline rate ( 10 ). Better FEV 1 can be seen in an adequate
Nada Pop-Jordanova, Nevenka Slavevska and Stojka Fustic
Osteoskeletal Manifestation of Scurvy in a Male Infant (Case Report)
Scurvy, a disease of dietary deficiency of vitamin C, was uncommon in the last century due to improved nutrition and health care. However, in the last decade it was increasingly reported in adult population. In a period of infancy, scurvy appears after the age of five months and is related mainly to malnutrition. The main symptoms are vascular purpura, bleeding and gum abnormalities, but musculoskeletal manifestations could also be prominent. Children experience severe lower limb pain related to subperiosteal bleeding. The misdiagnosis with rickets and arthritis is common. We present a case of scurvy in 8 month boy with osteoskeletal manifestation, very rare seen in contemporary European pediatrics. The diagnosis of our patient is made by clinical presentation (such as haematuria, edema of lower extremities as well as swollen right leg), some biochemical parameters and radiological finding. The therapeutically outcome and follow-up of the boy confirmed the diagnosis and etiology.
Morrow JD, Roberts LJ. The isoprostanes: unique bioactive products of lipid peroxidation. Prog Lipid Res. 1997;36: 1-21.
Rokach J, Khanapure SP, Hwang SW et al. The isoprostanes: a perspective. Prostaglandins. 1997;54:823-51.
National Research Council, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary reference intakes for vitaminC, vitamin E, selenium and carotenoids. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2000.
Maxwell SR. Prospects for the use of anti-oxidant therapies. Drugs. 1995
syndrome without an established genetic background. It is well known that malignant neoplasms occur in some families more often than it would be expected by chance and reasons for this phenomenon have mostly remained unknown.
In addition, it is possible that findings about suppressive activities of vitaminC in carcinogenesis might mainly reflect the restrictive effects of this natural compound on the activity and expression of MMPs, thereby suppressing invasion, migration and metastasis, as it is well known that vitaminC is a strong inhibitor for both MMP-2 and MMP-9
Zakaria El-Khayat, Ahmed Ezzat, Mahmoud Arbid, Wafaa Rasheed and Tahany Elias
Sun F, Hayami S, Haruna S et al. Vivo antioxidative activity of propolis evaluated by the interaction with vitaminsC and E and the level of lipid hydroperoxides in rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2000;48(5):1462-5. doi:10.1021/jf990594t PMID:10820043
Demopoulos HE. Control of free radicals in biologic systems. Fed Proc. 1973;32(8):1903-8. PMID:4718907
Hasinoff BB, Rahimtula AD, Omar RA. NADPH-cytochrome-P-450. Reductase promoted radical production by the iron (III)-ochratoxin A complex. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1990
Loredana Luca, Alexandru Florin Rogobete and Ovidiu Horea Bedreag
oxidative stress, apoptosis and cognitive dysfunctions in rats. Brain Res. 2012;1484:29–38.
63. Song L, Chen L, Zhang X, Li J, Le W. Resveratrol Ameliorates Motor Neuron Degeneration and Improves Survival in SOD1 G93A Mouse Model of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:483501.
64. Gao J, Koshio S, Ishikawa M, Yokoyama S, Mamauag REP. Interactive effects of vitaminC and E supplementation on growth performance, fatty acid composition and reduction of oxidative stress in juvenile Japanese flounder Paralichthys olivaceus fed dietary oxidized