Barbara Woźniak, Iwona Matraszek-Żuchowska, Sebastian Witek and Andrzej Posyniak
1. Angeletti R., Contiero L., Gallina G., Montesissa C.: The urinary ratio of testosterone to epitetosterone: a good marker of illegal treatment also in cattle? Vet Res Comm 2006, 30, 127–131.
2. Antignac J.P., De Wasch K., Monteau F., De Brabander H., Andre F., Le Bizec B.: The ion suppression phenomenon in liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry and its consequences in the field of residue analysis. Anal Chim Acta 2005, 529, 129–136.
3. ARO SOP 475B, Method validation using ResVal®. Validation according to EC/2002/657. National
Barbara Woźniak, Sebastian Witek, Iwona Matraszek-Żuchowska, Alicja Kłopot and Andrzej Posyniak
1. Angeletti R., Contiero L., Gallina G., Montesissa C.: The urinary ratio of testosterone to epitetosterone: a good marker of illegal treatment also in cattle? Vet Res Comm 2006, 30, 127-131.
2. Chen Y., Yazdanpanah M., Hoffman B.R., Diamandis E.P., Wong P-Y.: Rapid determination of serum testosterone by liquid chromatography-isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometry and a split sample comparison with three automated immunoassays. Clin Biochem 2009, 42, 484-490.
3. Council Directive 88/146/EEC. 1988
Iwona Matraszek-Żuchowska, Barbara Woźniak, Katarzyna Sielska and Andrzej Posyniak
testosterone propionate), Deca-Durabolin (with nandrolone decanoate), Durabolin (with nandrolone phenylpropionate), Boldane, Equipoise, Parenabol, and Vebonol (all with boldenone undecylenate), as well as a wide range of other products.
The hormones present in animal tissues may be of endogeneous origin or may have been illegally administered. The concentration of hormones occurring naturally in living organisms differs from animal to animal depending on the species, sex, age, normality of physiological and individual development, and the state of health and acquired
Florina Ligia Popa, Mihaela Stanciu, Adrian Bighea, Mihai Berteanu, Ioan Gheorghe Totoianu and Maria Rotaru
BMD - bone mineral density
E 2 - estradiol
DXA - Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry
BMI - body mass index
WHO - World Health Organization
Tt - total testosterone
Tf - free testosterone
ECLIA - Electrochemiluminescence immunoassay
ELISA - Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay
IBM-SPSS - International Business Machines-Statistical Package for Social Sciences
SHBG – sex hormone binding globulin
1. Rao SS, Budhwar N. Ashfaque A. Osteoporosis in men. Am Fam Physician. 2010 Sep 1;82(5):503-508.
2. Herrera A
Cigdem Cebi Sen, Nihat Yumusak, Hasan Ikbal Atilgan, Murat Sadic, Gokhan Koca and Meliha Korkmaz
ablation of post surgical thyroid remnants in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. J Nucl Med 1999, 40, 1716–1721.
3. Celik K.O., Aras A., Tugan D., Hekimgil M., Yalman D., Esassolak M., Haydaroglu A.: The relationship between radiation-induced apoptosis in rat germ cells and amifostine. T Klin J Med Sci 2004, 24, 142–146.
4. Clouthier D.E., Averbock M.R., Maika S.D., Hammer R.E., Brinster R.L.: Rat spermatogenesis in mouse testis. Nature 1996, doi:10.1038/381418a0.
5. Clyde H.R., Walsh P.C., English R.W.: Elevated plasma testosterone and
JeongWoo Kang, Md Akil Hossain, Byungkook Choi, Joon-Hyoung Cho, Seok-Jin Kang, Hyun-Ok Ku, Sang-Hee Jeong and Hwan-Goo Kang
, immunoglobulins, and cytokines
Total thyroxine (tT4), free thyroxine (fT4), total triiodothyronine (tT3), free triiodothyronine (fT3), oestradiol, and testosterone were determined using commercially available DELFIA kits (PerkinElmer, USA) according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Luteinising hormone (LH), thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) were measured by radioimmunoassay (RIA) using Amersham RIA kits (GE healthcare, UK) according to the manufacturer’s protocols. Hormone concentrations were measured using a Packard D5005 Cobra II
Maria Minta, Lidia Radko, Sylwia Stypuła-Trębas, Barbara Woźniak and Jan Żmudzki
To select appropriate diet for hamsters used in the uterotrophic and Hershberger assays two rodent diets were compared: Murigran (Agropol, Poland) and Altromin 7010 (Altromin Spezialfutter GmbH&Co., Germany). The contents of bioactive compounds in feeds were evaluated by liquid chromatography, and their oestrogenic activity by yeast enhanced green fluorescent protein assay. In opposition to Altromin, Murigran contained high amounts (μg/kg) of genistein (765 600) and daidzein (132 000), and the oestrogenic activity of these compounds, expressed as 17β-oestradiol equivalent concentration (EEQ), was found to be 9.54 μg EEQ/kg. In in vivo study, Murigran induced a high degree of oestrogenisation in immature hamsters, and females failed to exhibit a normal uterine response to recommended dose of a model oestrogen agonist 17α-ethinyloestradiol. There was no influence of the diet on the weight of five accessory sex organs (ASO): ventral prostate, seminal vesicles with coagulating glands, levator ani bulbocavernosus muscles, Cowper`s glands, and glans penis of control males. However, the impact on ASO response to model androgen agonist, testosterone propionate was observed. The obtained results provide the evidence that phytooestrogen-rich feed modulates the oestrogenic and androgenic response to chemicals.
Marcin Gołyński, Michał Metyk, Piotr Szkodziak, Krzysztof Lutnicki, Grzegorz Kalisz, Marcin Szczepanik, Piotr Wilkołek and Piotr Dobrowolski
Introduction: Thyroid hormones play a major role in the regulation of testicular maturation and growth and in the control of Sertoli and Leydig cell functions in adulthood. When naturally occurring, hypothyroidism causes male hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and Sertoli cell function disorders, but when iatrogenic and methimazole-induced its influence on the pituitary-testicular axis function with respect to Sertoli cells is poorly known.
Material and Methods: Male adult Wistar rats (n = 14) were divided into two groups: E – taking methimazole orally for 60 days, and C – control animals. After 60 d, the concentrations in serum of testosterone, follicle-stimulating and luteinising hormones, and inhibins A and B were measured. Testicles were examined morphologically: the apoptotic Sertoli cell percentage (ASC%) and number of these cells functional per tubular mm2 (FSCN/Tmm2) were calculated.
Results: In group E, inhibin A was higher while inhibin B was lower than in group C. ASC% was higher and FSCN/Tmm2 lower in group E than in group C.
Conclusion: A specific modulation of Sertoli cell function in the course of methimazole-induced hypothyroidism leads to a simultaneous concentration increase in inhibin A and decrease in B. Inhibin A might share responsibility for pituitary-testicular axis dysfunction and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in this model of hypothyroidism.