Ioana-Aurița Albu-Stan, Daniel-Emil Albu, Diana Cerghizan, Lia Yero Eremie, Kinga Jánosi, Monica Baloș and Constantin Copotoiu
, Gleason DM, Murray R, et al. Long-term efficacy of zoledronic acid for the prevention of skeletal complications in patients with metastatic hormone-refractory prostatecancer. J Natl Cancer Inst . 2004;96:879-882.
7. Berenson JR, Hillner BE, Kyle RA, et al. American society of clinical oncology clinical practice guidelines: The role of bisphosphonates in multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol . 2002;20:3719-3736.
8. Delmas PD. The use of bisphosphonates in the treatment of osteoporosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol . 2005;17:462-466.
9. Medical economics. Physicians
R. Marinescu, D. Lăptoiu, I. Botezatu, S. Ciumeica, A. Bunea and G. Ştefan
Introduction. GCT resembles an aggressive benign tumor of bone and its evolution based on the histological features is unpredictable. About 50% of the cases are located around the knee (proximal femur and distal tibia), with the proximal humerus and distal radius representing the third and fourth most common sites. Femoral neck location is unusual. We report a case of GCT located at the femoral neck level, in a 19-year-old female. Case presentation. Onset was hidden by pathologic femoral neck fracture and, due to insidious symptoms, proper diagnosis and treatment were neglected for almost six months. After 6 months, the case was referred to our clinic and re-evaluated with complete examination and biopsy. Wide resection and tumoral arthroplasty of the hip was performed. Postoperative complete recovery was achieved and the patient returned to previous activities. After 2 years of normal clinical evolution, a neurological severe issue appeared; at this time, a cerebral metastasis was diagnosed. Once the positive diagnosis was achieved, 120 mg Denosumab treatment was initiated monthly. At 16 months follow-up, the patient was symptom free and continued Denosumab treatment. Discussion. Denosumab is a human monoclonal IGG2 antibody inhibiting osteoclast differentiation, activation, and survival with applicable suppression of bone turnover in patients with multiple myeloma, osteolytic bone disease, and bone metastases from breast and prostate cancer. It is also a useful drug for managing the GCT of bone and one excellent option in metastatic GCT. The long time safety and complications, especially in young female patients, are to be proven. Conclusions. Early diagnosis and accurate management of GCT are mandatory in order to achieve good long-term clinical results. Denosumab treatment may be necessary in order to avoid secondary metastasis or local recurrence.
1. Hatano K, Fujita S, Tsujimoto Y, et al. Rare case of the hyaline vascular type of Castlemans’s disease of the kidney. International Journal of Urology . 2007;14:1098-1100.
2. Castleman B, Iverson L, Menendez VP. Localized mediastinal lymph-node hyperplasia resembling thymoma. Cancer . 1956;9:822-830.
3. Guthrie PJ, Thomas JV, Peker D, Turkbey B, Rais-Bahrami S. Perivesical unicentric Castleman disease initially suspected to be metastatic prostatecancer. Urol Ann . 2016;8:245-248.
4. Vassos N, Raptis D, Lell M, et al
Ioana-Aurița Albu-Stan, Cecilia Petrovan, Diana Cerghizan, Lia Yero Eremie, Adriana Elena Crăciun and Constantin Copotoiu
-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw in prostatecancer patients with advanced disease treated with zoledronate. European Urology . 2008;54:1066-1072.
13. Badros A, Weikel D, Salama A, et al. Osteonecrosis of the jaw in multiple myeloma patients: Clinical features and risk factors. J Clin Oncol . 2006;24:945.
14. Ruggiero SL, Dodson TB, Fantasia J, et al. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons position paper on medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw – 2014 update. J Oral Maxillofac Surg . 2014;72:1938-1956.
15. Albu IA, Petrovan C, Păcurar M, et
András Mester, Balázs Oltean-Péter, Ioana Rodean, Diana Opincariu, Alexandra Stănescu, Erzsébet Lázár, István Benedek, Imre Benedek and István Benedek
superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPIOs) in a CT1258 based in vivo model of prostatecancer. BMC Cancer . 2012;12:284.
32. Guenoun J, Koning GA, Doeswijk G, et al. Cationic Gd-DTPA liposomes for highly efficient labeling of mesenchymal stem cells and cell tracking with MRI. Cell Transplant . 2012;21:191-205.
33. Mamani JB, Pavon LF, Miyaki LA, et al. Intracellular labeling and quantification process by magnetic resonance imaging using iron oxide magnetic nanoparticles in rat C6 glioma cell line. Einstein . 2012;10:216-221.
34. Vuong QL, Van
Raluca Dumache, Alexandru Florin Rogobete, Dorel Sandesc, Ovidiu Horea Bedreag, Veronica Ciocan, Camelia Muresan, Adrian Tudor Stan, Mihai Sandesc, Anca Dinu, Sonia Elena Popovici and Alexandra Enache
, Uchimoto ML, Coult N, World D, Beasley E, Avenell P. Characterisation of body fluid specific microRNA markers by capillary electrophoresis. Forensic Sci Int Genet Suppl Ser . 2013;4:e274-e275.
26. Kuner R, Brase JC, Sültmann H, Wuttig D: microRNA biomarkers in body fluids of prostatecancer patients. Methods . 2013;59:132-137.
27. Gilad S, Meiri E, Yogev Y, et al. Serum microRNAs are promising novel biomarkers. PLoS One . 2008;3:1-7.
28. Roth C, Rack B, Müller V, Janni W, Pantel K, Schwarzenbach H. Circulating microRNAs as blood-based markers for