Maria Trepa, Samuel Bastos, Marta Fontes-Oliveira, Ricardo Costa, André Dias-Frias, André Luz, Vasco Dias, Mário Santos and Severo Torres
Out-of-HospitalCardiacArrest (OHCA) remains one of the most challenging health care problems, despite recent efforts to improve cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) with the development of evidence-based guidelines and care-bundle systems. The number of patients who achieve return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC) and survive to hospital discharge varies from 7 to 40% depending on the clinical setting [ 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 ]. The bulk of the available data reporting survival predictors, comes from studies addressing the overall OHCA
Andreea Bărcan, Monica Chițu, Edvin Benedek, Nora Rat, Szilamer Korodi, Mirabela Morariu and Istvan Kovacs
cardiacarrest in patients with cardiogenic shock and acute myocardial infarction. Resuscitation. 2015;87:57-62.
13. Aissaoui N, Puymirat E, Simon T, et al. Long-term outcome in early survivors of cardiogenic shock at the acute stage of myocardial infarction: a landmark analysis from the French registry of Acute ST-elevation and non-ST-elevation Myocardial Infarction(FAST-MI) Registry. Crit Care. 2014;18:516.
14. Demirel F, Rasoul S, Elvan A, et al. Impact of out-of-hospitalcardiacarrest due to ventricular fibrillation in patients with
1. Kern KB. Optimal Treatment of Patients Surviving Out-of- HospitalCardiacArrest. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2012;5:597-605.
2. Steg G, James SK, Atar D, et al. ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation The Task Force on the management of ST-segment elevation acute myocardial infarction of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J. 2012;33:2569-619.
3. Bernard SA, Gray TW, Buist MD, et al. Treatment of comatose survivors of
Ankit Agrawal, Maria Cardinale, Douglas Frenia and Aveek Mukherjee
Intracranial haemorrhage (ICH) is a known, but a rare cause of outofhospitalcardiacarrest (OHCA) leading to the development of non-shockable rhythms such as asystole or pulseless electrical activity (PEA). The incidence of ICH causing OHCA is unclear but 4-18% of OHCA are caused by subarachnoid haemorrhage (SAH) [ 1 ]. Fatal cerebellar haemorrhage leading to a cardiac arrest is very rare compared to SAH.
A 77-years old Caucasian male with a history of coronary artery triple bypass surgery, atrial fibrillation and aortic
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Statespecific mortality from sudden cardiac death - United States, 1999, MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 2002;51:123-6.
2. Myerburg RJ, Castellanos A. Cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death. Braunwald E, ed. Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: WB Saunders; 1997:742-779.
3. de Vreede-Swagemakers JJ, Gorgels AP, Dubois-Arbouw WI, et al. Out-of-hospitalcardiacarrest in the 1990’s: a populationbased study in the
Theodora Benedek, Monica Marton Popovici and Dietmar Glogar
, et al. Favourable survival of in-hospital compared to out-of-hospital refractory cardiac arrest patients treated with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: an Italian tertiary care centre experience. Resuscitation. 2012;83:579-83. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2011.10.013.
6. Dworschak M. Is extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for out-of-hospitalcardiacarrest superior compared with conventional resuscitation? Crit Care Med. 2013;41:1365-6. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31828044c0.
7. Le Guen M, Nicolas-Robin A, Carreira S, et al. Extracorporeal life
, trends, and outcome of out-of-hospitalcardiacarrest of non-cardiac origin. Resuscitation. 2007;72(2):200-6. 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2006.06.040
Hess EP Campbell RL White RD Epidemiology, trends, and outcome of out-of-hospitalcardiacarrest of non-cardiac origin Resuscitation 2007 72 2 200 6
12 Horwich A, Shipley J, Huddart R. Testicular germ-cell cancer. The Lancet. 2006;367(9512):754-65. 10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68305-0
Horwich A Shipley J Huddart R Testicular germ-cell cancer The Lancet 2006 367 9512 754 65
13 Hussain SA
Raluca M. Tat, Adela Golea, Ştefan C. Vesa and Daniela Ionescu
and S100b measured the day following admission for severe accidental hypothermia have high predictive values for poor outcome Resuscitation 2017 121 49 – 53
7 Einav S, Kaufman N, Algur N, Kark JD. Modeling serum biomarkers S100 beta and neuron-specific enolase as predictors of outcome after out-of-hospitalcardiacarrest: an aid to clinical decision making. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;60(4):304-11. 10.1016/j.jacc.2012.04.020 22813607
Einav S Kaufman N Algur N Kark JD Modeling serum biomarkers S100 beta and neuron-specific enolase as predictors of