Nourkhoda Sadeghifard, Reza Ranjbar, Javad Zaeimi, Mohammad Yousef Alikhani, Sobhan Ghafouryan, Mohammad Raftari, Ahmed Sahib Abdulamir, Ali Delpisheh, Reza Mohebi and Fatimah Abu Bakar
Background: Multiple-drug resistant Acinetobacter have widely spread in the last decades imposing a serious nosocomial source of infection. Nevertheless, little knowledge was gaimed on tracing the development of antibiotic resistance in Acinetobacter species. Objectives: Explore Acinetobacter spp. via antimicrobial susceptibility, plasmid profiles, and random amplified polymorphism DNA polymerase chain reaction (RAPD-PCR) typing. Methods: One hundred twelve Acinetobacter isolates (including 66 A. baumannii and 46 non-Acinetobacter baumannii strains) were obtained from three university hospitals. The source of infection of these isolates included blood, urine, wound, and respiratory tract. Their susceptibilities to 17 antibiotics were tested and then all Acinetobacter isolates were typed by plasmid analysis and RAPD-PCR method. Results: A. baumannii isolates revealed nine different patterns of antibiotic resistance. Of those, non- A. baumannii, were associated with plasmid and RAPD-PCR typings (p <0.05). A. baumannii was more resistant to multiple antibiotics than non-A. baumannii (p <0.05). Seven different plasmid profiles were observed among 112 Acinetobacter isolates. Plasmids were found in 107 (95.5%) of the 112 isolates. Unlike in RAPD-PCR typing, there was no difference between the type of Acinetobacter, A. or non-A. baumannii strains and plasmid profiles (p >0.05). By RAPD-PCR, six profiles were found for each A. and non-A. baumannii strains. The pattern 6 was the most common pattern among the isolates. Both plasmid and RAPD-PCR typing showed no association between plasmid profiling and site of infection (p >0.05). Conclusion: There is a wide spread of multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter spp., particularly A. baumannii, in the Middle East region that can be traced efficiently by plasmid and genotyping typing of Acinetobacter. More care should be taken for tracing the development of antimicrobial resistance of Acinetobacter using precise molecular typing techniques.
polymorphism.Vet Rec. 1993; 132:325-6.
11. Natarajaseenivasan K, Prabhu N, Selvanayaki K, Raja SS, Ratnam S. Human leptospirosis in Erode, South India: serology, isolation, and characterization of the isolates by randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) fingerprinting. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2004; 7: 193-7.
12. Perolat P, Grimont F, Regnault B, Grimont PA, Fournie E, Thevenet H, et al. rRNA gene restriction patterns of Leptospira: a moleculartyping system. Res Microbiol. 1990; 141:159-71.
13. Kositanont U, Chotinantakul K
susceptibilities and moleculartyping of sequentially isolated clinical Cryptococcus neoformans strains from Croatia. J Med Microbiol 2011;60:1487-95.
14. Murray PR, Rosenthal KS, Pfaller MA. Medical Microbiology. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby Elsevier; 2009.
15. de Hoog GS, Guarro J, Gene J, Figueras MJ. Atlas of Clinical Fungi. 4th ed. Utrecht: CBS; 2011.
16. Anaissie EJ, Stratton SL, Dignani CM, Summerbell RC, Rex JH, Monson TP, Spencer T, Kasai M, Francesconi A, Walsh TJ. Pathogenic Aspergillus species recovered from a
Gorica Popova, Dean Jankuloski, Benjamin Felix, Katerina Boskovska, Biljana Stojanovska-Dimzovska, Velibor Tasic and Katerina Blagoevska
20. Caprioli, A., Maugliani, A., Michelacci, V., Morabito, S. (2014). Moleculartyping of Verocytotoxin -producing E. coli (VTEC) strains isolated from food, feed and animals : state of play and standard operating procedures for pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) typing, profiles interpretation and curation. EFSA journal EN704, 55.
21. Barrett, T.J., Gerner-Smidt, P., Swaminathan, B. (2006). Interpretation of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis patterns in foodborne disease investigations and surveillance. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 3(1): 20
11. Hamnes, I. S, Gjerde, B. K., Robertson, L. J. (2007b). A longitudinal study on the occurrence of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in dogs during their first year of life. Acta Vet Scand. 49, 22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-49-22 PMid:17848186; PMCid:PMC2040143
12. Beck, R., Sprong, H., Bata, I., Lucinger, S., Pozio, E., Cacció, S. M. (2011b). Prevalence and moleculartyping of Giardia spp. in captive mammals at the ZOO of Zagreb, Croatia. Vet Parasitol. 175, 40-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2010.09.026 PMid
Reservoirs of drug resistant bacterial genomes and extrachromosomal DNA segments are a growing problem and cause emergence of new multidrug resistant (MDR) strains [ 1 ]. Antibiotic resistance of Klebsiella infections are causing increasing morbidity and mortality, and an increase in health care costs worldwide.
In epidemiological research, not only phenotypical analysis, but also genotypical analysis is conducted by using various moleculartyping methods such as plasmid profiling, ribotyping, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to find genetic
Iskra Cvetkovikj, Slavcho Mrenoshki, Kiril Krstevski, Igor Djadjovski, Branko Angjelovski, Zagorka Popova, Aleksandar Janevski, Aleksandar Dodovski and Aleksandar Cvetkovikj
.B., Goria, M., Loda, D., Garrone, A., Benedetto, A., Mondo, A., Tisato, E., Zanoni, M., Zoppi, S., Dondo, A., Tagliabue, S., Bonora, S., Zanardi, G., Pacciarini, M.L. (2009). Moleculartyping of Mycobacterium bovis strains isolated in Italy from 2000 to 2006 and evaluation of variablenumber- tandem-repeats for a geographic optimized genotyping. J Clin Microbiol. 47 (3): 636-644. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.01192-08 PMid:19144792 PMCid:PMC2650904
44. Prodinger, W.M., Brandstätter, A., Naumann, L., Pacciarini, M., Kubica, T., Boschiroli, M.L., Aranaz, A
Kiril Krstevski, Ivancho Naletoski, Dine Mitrov, Slavcho Mrenoshki, Iskra Cvetkovikj, Aleksandar Janevski, Aleksandar Dodovski and Igor Djadjovski
18. Bricker, B.J., Halling, S.M. (1995). Enhancement of the Brucella AMOS-PCR assay for differentiation of Brucella abortus vaccine strains S19 and RB51. J. Clin. Microbiol., 33, 1640-1642. PMid:7650203 PMCid:PMC228233
19. Lopez-Goni, I., Garcia-Yoldi, D., Marin, C.M., de Miguel, M.J., Muñoz, P.M., Blasco, J.M., Jacques, I., Grayon, M., Cloeckaert, A., Ferreira, A.C., Cardoso, R., Corrêa de Sá, M.I., Walravens, K., Albert, D., Garin-Bastuji, B. (2008). Evaluation of a multiplex PCR assay (bruce-ladder) for molecular