. Cleveland Clinic. Diabetes Mellitus: An Overview: Management and Treatment. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/7104-diabetes-mellitus-an-overview/management-and-treatment
19. Sjöström L, Peltonen M, Jacobson P, et al. Association of bariatric surgery with long-term remission of type 2 diabetes and with microvascular and macrovascular complications. JAMA . 2014;311:2297-2304.
20. Thaler JP, Cummings DE. Hormonal and metabolic mechanisms of diabetes remission after gastrointestinal surgery. Endocrinology . 2009;150:2518-2525.
21. Keidar A
Victoria Bîrluţiu, Ofelia Criştiu, Marius Baicu and Rareş Mircea Bîrluţiu
1. Silversides JA, Lappin E, Ferguson AJ. Staphylococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome: Mechanisms and Management. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2010;12:392-400.
2. Amagai M, Yamaguchi T, Hanakawa Y, Nishifuji K, Sugai M, Stanley JR. Staphylococcal exfoliative toxin B specifically cleaves desmoglein. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;118:845-50.
3. Hanakawa Y, Stanley JR. Mechanisms of blister formation by staphylococcal toxins. J Biochem. 2004;136:747-50.
4. Ladhani S. Understanding the mechanism of action of the exfoliative toxins of Staphylococcus
Laura Mihaela Suciu, Manuela Cucerea, Marta Simon, Andreea Avasiloaiei, Olimpia Petrescu and Suciu Bogdan Andrei
. JAMA. 2008;300:60-70.
8. Gallo AM. The fifth vital sign: implementation of the Neonatal Infant Pain Scale. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2003;32:199-206.
9. Bellu R, de Waal KA, Zanini R. Opioids for neonates receiving mechanical ventilation. Cochrane Database Sys Rev 2008;(1):CD004212.
10. Carbajal R, Gall O, Annequin D. Pain management in neonates. Expert Rev Neurother. 2004;4:491-505.
11. Polkki T, Korhonen A, Laukkala H, Saarela T, Vehvilainen-Julkunen K, Pietila AM. Nurses’ attitudes and perceptions of pain assessment in neonatal
Alexander A. Vitin, Leonard Azamfirei, Dana Tomescu and John D. Lang
septic shock. Crit Care Med 1991;19:1395-1400.
40. Pascoe PJ, Ilkiw JE, Pypendop BH. Effects of increasing infusion rates of dopamine, dobutamine, epinephrine, and phenylephrine in healthy anesthetized cats. Am J Vet Res. 2006;67:1491-9.
41. Mandell MS, Katz JJ, Wachs M, et al. Circulatory pathophysiology and options in hemodynamic management during adult liver transplantation. Liver Transpl Surg 1997;3: 379-387.
42. Vitin AA, Martay K, Vater Y, et al. Effects of Vasoactive Agents on Blood Loss and Transfusion
Teodora Sorana Truta, Cristian Marius Boeriu, Marc Lazarovici, Irina Ban, Marius Petrişor and Sanda-Maria Copotoiu
1. Rovamo L, Nurmi E, Mattila MM, et al. Effect of a simulation-based workshop on the multidisciplinary teamwork of newborn emergencies: an interventional study. BMC Res Notes. 2015;8:671.
2. Hicks MC, Kiss A, Bandiera WG, et al. Crisis Resources for Emergency Workers (CREW II): results of a pilot study and simulation-based crisis resource management course for emergency medicine residents. CJEM. 2012;14(6):354-62.
3. Petrosoniak A, Hicks CM. Beyond crisis resource management: new frontiers in human factors training for acute care
Annamária Pakucs, Erzsébet Lázár, Judit Beáta Köpeczi, Enikő Kakucs, István Benedek, Marius Găzdac, Eszter Mild, Cezara Tudor and István Benedek
Introduction: Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (ASCT) represents a standard therapy in the management of hematologic malignancies such as malignant lymphomas and has used for approximately three decades. The aim of this study was to determine the occurring post-ASCT complications and their impact on the patients’ recovery for a better management.
Material and methods: An observational retrospective study was performed during a five-year period between 2012 and 2017, involving 58 classical Hodgkin lymphoma and 36 non-Hodgkin lymphoma patients, who underwent ASCT in the Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit of Tîrgu Mureş. The main analyzed complications were: infections, bleeding, hydroelectrolytic disorders, and hypoalbuminemia.
Results: After data analysis we found that 17 patients (18%) presented microbiologically confirmed infection, 10 patients (11%) presented clinically non-significant bleeding, 39 patients (42%) presented electrolyte disorders, and 33 patients (36%) presented hypoalbuminemia, obtaining a positive correlation between the rate of adverse events after ASCT with age (r = 0.9914, p = 0.0009) and the average hospitalization period (r = 1, p <0.00001).
Conclusions: The identification of adverse events and their correlation with the patients’ clinical outcome can lead to better patient management and a faster recovery after ASCT.
Christopher William Maxwell, Joshua Carson, Michael R. Kaufmann and Brenda G. Fahy
1. Bonawitz SC. Management of exposure of cardiac pacemaker systems. Ann Plast Surg 2012; 69: 292-295. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0b013e31822350cc
2. Zhan C, Baine WB, Sedrakyan A, Steiner C. Cardiac device implantation in the United States from 1997 to 2004: a population-based analysis. J Gen Intern Med 2008; 23 Suppl 1: 13-19. doi: 10.1007/s11606-007-0392-0
3. Greenspon AJ, Patel JD, Lau E, Ochoa JA, Frisch DR, Ho RT, et al. Trends in permanent pacemaker implantation in the United States from 1993 to 2009: increasing complexity of patients
Ana Uzunov, Dan Popescu, Oana Bodean, Octavian Munteanu, Diana Voicu, Luciana Arsene, Florina Pauleţ, Monica Cîrstoiu and Cătălin Cîrstoiu
fracture. Orthop Clin North Am. 2012; 43:521-7.
17. Rhee PC, Dennison DG, Kakar S. Avoiding and treating perioperative complications of distal radius fractures. Hand Clin. 2012; 28:185-98.
18. Mehta SS, Rees K, Cutler L, Mangwani J. Understanding risks and complications in the management of ankle fractures. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2014; 48(5):445–452.
19. Patil S, Gandhi J, Curzon I, Hui AC. Incidence of deep-vein thrombosis in patients with fractures of the ankle treated in a plaster cast. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2007; 89:1340–3.
Chryssoula Staikou, Mattheos Stamelos and Eftyhios Stavroulakis
management of the preexcitation syndromes. Curr Probl Cardiol 1988; 13: 225-310. doi: 10.1016/0146-2806(88)90025-4
5. Öhnell RF. Pre-excitation, cardiac abnormality, pathophysiological, patho-anatomical and clinical studies of excitatory spread phenomenon bearing upon the problem of the WPW (Wolff, Parkinson, and White) electrocardiogram and paroxysmal tachycardia. Acta Med Scand 1944; 152: 1-167
6. Mark DG, Brady WJ, Pines JM. Preexcitation syndromes: diagnostic consideration in the ED. Am J Emerg Med 2009; 27: 878-888. doi: 10.1016/j
Violeta Melinte, Oana Musteata and Codrut Sarafoleanu
1. Daudia A, Jaiswal V, Jones NS. Guidelines for the management of idiopathic epistaxis in adults: how we do it. Clinical Otolaryngol. 2008;33(6):618–20. DOI:10.1111/j.1749-4486.2008.01795.x.
2. Paul J, Kanotra SP, Kanotra S. Endoscopic Management of Posterior Epistaxis. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011;63(2):141-4. DOI: 10.1007/s12070-010-0054-0.
3. Pond F, Sizeland A. Epistaxis strategies for management. Australian Family Physician. 2000;29(10):933-8.
4. Beran M, Petruson B. Occurrence of epistaxis in habitual nose