, Eber O, Ott W, Peter F, Podoba J, Simescu M, Szybinski Z, Vertongen F, Vitti P, Wiersinga W, Zamrazil V. Thyroid volume and urinary iodine in European schoolchildren: standardization of values for assessment of iodinedeficiency. Eur. J. Endocrinol 136, 180–187, 1997.
Ermans AM. Etiopathogenesis of Endemic Goiter. In: Endemic Goiter and Endemic Cretinism (Eds: Stanbury JB, Hetzel BS), pp 287–301, J Wiley, New York, 1980.
Hynes KL, Otahal P, Hay I, Burgess JR. Mild IodineDeficiency During Pregnancy Is Associated With Reduced Educational Outcomes in the
1. Zaletel K, Gaberšček S. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: from genes to the disease. Curr Genomics 2011;12:576-88. doi: 10.2174/138920211798120763
2. Laurberg P, Cerqueira C, Ovesen L, Rasmussen LB, Perrild H, Andersen S, Pedersen IB, Carlé A. Iodine intake as a determinant of thyroid disorders in populations. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010;24:13-27. doi: 10.1016/j.beem.2009.08.013
3. Zimmermann MB. Iodine requirements and the risks and benefits of correcting iodinedeficiency in populations. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2008
1. Disorders ICfCoID, UNICEF, Organization WH. Assessment of iodinedeficiency disorders and monitoring their elimination: a guide for programme managers. 3rd ed: World Health Organization; 2007.
2. Zoeller RT. Transplacental thyroxine and fetal brain development. J Clin Invest. 2003;111:954.
3. DeMaeyer E, Lowenstein FW, Thilly C, Organization WH. The control of endemic goitre: World Health Organization; 1979.
4. Sullivan KM, May W, Nordenberg D, Houston R, Maberly GF. Use of thyroid
,000 neonates. Horm Res. 2004; 62(1): 79-83.
18. Karanfilski B, Bogdanova V, Vaskova O, Loparska S, Miceva S, Sestakov G, et al. Correction of iodinedeficiency in Macedonia. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 16(7):1041-1045.
19. Dunn J. Macedonia is declared Iodine Sufficient. IDD Newslett. 2004; 20: 16-17.
20. Delange F. Neonatal screening for congenital hypothyroidism: results and perspectives. Horm Res. 1997; 48(2): 51-61.
21. Delange F. Neonatal thyroid screening as a monitoring tool for the control of
1 Gabriel EM, Bergert ER, Grant CS, Van Heerden JA, Thompson GB, Morris JC. Germline polymorphism of codon 727 of human thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor is associated with toxic multinodular goiter. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84(9): 3328-3335.
2. Derwahl M, Studer H. Nodular goiter and goiter nodules: where iodinedeficiency falls short of explaining the facts. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2001; 109(5): 250-260.
3. Paschke R. Molecular pathogenesis of nodular goiter. Langenbecks Arch
residing in high altitude areas. Iodinedeficiency during pregnancy can lead to increased miscarriages and stillbirths, and other severe pregnancy and fetal outcomes. Likewise, the mortality rate for those <5 years old was 104 per 1,000 live births, while infant mortality rate was 86 per 1,000 births, which is the highest rate in Pakistan. These health issues have been further augmented by poor literacy, lack of proper health-safety measures, and malnutrition during pregnancy. Thus, this entire scenario may explain the high prevalence of sporadic, and not necessarily
Hakki Yilmaz, M. Cakmak, B. Ceydilek, C. Demir and A. Aktas
cellular compartments correlates with opposite phenotypic manifestations of autoimmune thyroid disease. Thyroid 11, 233-244, 2001.
Gutekunst R, Smolarek H, Hasenpusch U, et al. Goiter epidemiology: thyroid volume, iodine excretion, thyroglobulin and thyrotropin in Germany and Sweden. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 112, 494-501, 1986.
Gutekunst R, Martin-Teichert H. Requirements for goiter surveys and the determination of thyroid size. In: IodineDeficiency in Europe. A Continuing Concern. Delange F, Dunn JT, Glinoer D. Eds. New York: Plenum