Elizabeta Trajkovska, Vesna Janevska, Liljana Spasevska, Vlado Janevski, Julija Zhivadinovik, Gordana Petrushevska and Blagica Dukova
1. Hsiao H. H, Sheau-Fang Yang S. F, Liu Y. C, Yang M. J, Lin S. F. Synchronous gastrointestinalstromaltumor and adenocarcinoma at the gastroesophageal junction. Med Sci. 2009; 25(6): 338-41.
2. Nakamura S, Aoyagi K, Iwanaga S, et al. Synchronous and metachronous primary gastric lymphoma and adenocarcinoma: a clinicopathological study of 12 patients. Cancer. 1997; 79(6): 1077-85.
3. Liu S. W, Chen G. H, Hsieh P. P. Collision tumor of the stomach. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002; 35(4): 332
1. Demetri GD, von Mehren M, Blanke CD, Van den Abbeele AD, Eisenberg B, Roberts PJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of imatinib mesylate in advanced gastrointestinalstromaltumors. N Engl J Med. 2002; 347:472-80.
2. Schwetz BA. New Treatment for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. JAMA. 2001; 286:35.
3. Cohen MH, Williams G, Johnson JR, Duan J, Gobburu J, Rahman A, et al. Approval summary for imatinib mesylate capsules in the treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2002; 8: 935
Soft tissue sarcoma (STS) is a biologically heterogeneous malignancy with over 50 subtypes. This solid tumor is one of the most challenging diseases to treat for the medical oncologist. STS often forms in the body’s muscles, joints, fat, nerves, deep skin tissues, and blood vessels. The natural history of high-grade STS is characterized by a strong tendency toward local recurrence and metastatic spreading, despite optimal initial strategies. The lung is the most common site of metastases, with poor prognosis. We present the current international guidelines for the adjuvant treatment and systemic treatment for advanced STS and the new discoveries. Many new molecular targeting drugs have been tried in the last ten years, and some were approved for soft tissue sarcoma. The first approved was Imatinib, as a treatment for gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs). Following Imatinib, other tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs) received the approval for GISTs such as Sunitinib and Regorafenib, and Pazopanib for non-GIST soft tissue sarcomas. In 2016, FDA approved the first monoclonal antibody that targets platelet-derived growth factor receptor (PDGFR)-α, Olaratumab. The new treatment demonstrates an overall survival advantage. In this review, we aimed to summarize the results from the most recent studies on adjuvant treatment for high-grade STS and systemic strategies for advanced STS.
39. Chen Y, Tzengb C, Lioub C, Changb M, Lib C, Linb C. Biological significance of chromosomal imbalance aberrations in gastrointestinalstromaltumors. J Biomed Sci. 2004; 11:65-71.
40. Rossner P, Boffetta P, Capp M, Bonassi S, Smerhovsky Z, Landa K, et al. Chromosomal aberrations in lymphocytes of healthy subjects and risk of cancer. Environ Hlth Persp 2005; 113:517-20.
41. El-Zein R, Gu Y, Sierra MS, Spitz MR, Strom SS. Chromosomal instability in peripheral blood lymphocytes and risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers
Sofija Pejkova, Gjorgje Dzokic, Smilja Tudzarova-Gjorgova and Sasho Panov
; 33(1): 33–7.
55. Willmore-Payne C, Layfield LJ, Holden JA. c-KIT mutation analysis for diagnosis of gastrointestinalstromaltumors in fine needle aspiration specimens. Cancer. 2005; 105(3): 165–70.
56. Fukuda R, Hamamoto N, Uchida Y et al. Gastrointestinalstromaltumor with a novel mutation of KIT proto-oncogene. Intern Med. 2001; 40(4): 301–3.
57. Curtin JA, Busam K, Pinkel D et al. Somatic activation of KIT in distinct subtypes of melanoma. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24(26): 4340–6.
58. Cachia AR, Indsto JO, McLaren KM et al. CDKN2A mutation
-assisted closure (VAC) have been proposed; however, there is no single universal technique that can be applied to every EAF because each fistula is different [ 3 ]. Hence, the wound care of EAF should be individualized for each patient. We report a novel VAC technique used to contain the fistula effluent and protect skin in a patient with a complex EAF.
A 53-year-old male patient presented with abdominal pain and mass. A diagnosis of a malignant gastrointestinalstromaltumor of the stomach with peritoneal seeding was made, and the patient underwent exploratory
Sakolwan Suchartlikitwong, Kamolyut Lapumnuaypol, Rungsun Rerknimitr and Duangporn Werawatganon
. These cancers are presented in ( Table 2 ) .
Type of malignancy that caused upper gastrointestinal bleeding with proved tissue-pathology
Type of cancer
Number of patients
Gastric cancer (adenocarcinoma)
Other cancers metastasis
Esophageal cancer (squamous cell carcinoma)
Ampullary cancer (adenocarcinoma)
Duodenal cancer (adenocarcinoma)