opposition was elected president of the country in March 2016.
Despite political liberalisation and the acceleration of reforms (2011–2015), Myanmar’s authorities chose to use the East Asian development model in their economic policies and systemic reformulation, characterised by an authoritarian political system, limited economic liberalisation and limited economic deregulation, and a broad state control over the national economy. The following article examines how the East Asian development model, in its post-socialist version, was adopted in Myanmar. In the scholarly
Lukas Schrott, Martin Gächter and Engelbert Theurl
Alkire, S. and Santos, E. (2010). Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries, University of Oxford, OPHI Working Paper No. 38.
Bahattacharya, N. and Mahalanobis, B. (1967). Regional Disparities in Household Income in India. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 62, 143-161.
Bagolin, I. (2004). Human Development Index (HDI) - A poor representation to Human Development Approach. University of Rio Grande do Sul, PUCRS, Brazil.
Becker, G. S. et al
Bâc, P.D. (2008). A history of the concept of sustainable development: literature review. Annals of the University of Oradea, Economic Science Series, 17(2), 576-580. Retrieved November 20, 2015, from http://www.cfr.washington.edu/classes.esrm.458/Paul.%202008.pdf.
Baird Callicot, J., Frodeman, B. (2009). Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy. Detroit, New York, San Francisco, Gane Cengage Learning. Retrieved May 5, 2018, from http
—accounted for in policymaking.
Externalities can be positive or negative. Accordingly, externalities arising from emigration can be good or bad for the development of home countries. Some well-known arguments for the negative externalities of emigration include that emigrants can fuel civil conflicts, or that remittances can act as a driver of “Dutch Disease”; that is, the inflow of foreign currency (through remittances), similarly to the discovery of a natural resource, can lead to a real exchange rate appreciation of the local currency, thus weakening the local economy as
1. Bryden, J., Section 3, Rural Development, In Landsis: Proposal on Agri-Environmental Indisator PAIS, Luxenbourg, 2001.
2. John Kenneth Galbraith, The Affluent Society/The Humane Agenda, PS Grmeč-Privredni pregled (eng.: Economic Review), Belgrade, 2001
3. Jovanović N. Miroslav, Evropska ekonomska integracija (eng.: European Economic Integration), CID, Faculty of Economics, Belgrade, 2006.
4. Popović Goran, Ekonomija Evropske unije (eng.: Economics of the European Union), Faculty of Economics, Banja Luka, 2009.
John Kwaku Amoh, Abdul-Mumuni Abdallah and Richard Amankwa Fosu
1. Adam, A. M. and Tweneboah, G. (2009), “foreign direct investment and stock market development: Ghana’s Evidence”, International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, Vol. 26 No. 1, pp. 178-185.
2. Adeniyi, O., Omisakin, O, Egwaikhide, F.O., and Oyinlola, A. (2012), “Foreign direct investment, economic growth and financial sector development in small open developing economies”, Economic Analysis & Policy, Vol. 42 No.1, pp. 105 – 127.
3. Al Nasser, O. M. and Soydemir, G (2010), “Domestic and international determinants of
1. Barbier, Edward B. 2005. “The Concept of Sustainable economic Development”. Environmental Conservation, Vol 14(02), pp: 101-110.
2. Florczak, Waldemar 2009. “Concepts of endogenous growth and of knowledge-based economies in the economics”. Lodz Scientific Society, Vol.80, pp. 215-239.
3. Jelonek, Adam.W. and, Tyszka, Krzysztof. 2001. “Concepts of social development”. Warsaw: Scholar Scientific Publisher.
4. Kronenberg, Jakub. and Bergier, Tomasz. 2010. “ Relations of economy
Policy online, 1994. Creative nation: Commonwealth cultural policy. from http://apo.org.au/research/creative-nation-commonwealth-cultural-policy-october-1994
Power, D., and Nielsen, T., 2010. Priority Sector Report: Creative and Cultural Industries Retrieved from http://www.clusterobservatory.eu/common/galleries/downloads/CreativeAndCulturalIndustries.pdf
Schumpeter, J. A., 1911. The Theory of Economic Development: An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest and the Business Cycle (Redvers Opie, Trans
Bander, W. 1959. “Impact of Agricultural Adjustment on Community Structure”. Rural Socionogy in a Changing Economy. Urban.
Bartik, T. 2003. “Local Economic Development Policies”. Upjohn Institute Working Paper No. 03-91.
Batley, R. and Stoker, G. 1991. Local Government in Europe – Trends and Developments. London: Macmillan.
Begović, B. and Vacić, Z. and Matković, G. 2006. Lokalni ekonomski razvoj. Beograd: Centar za liberalno-demokratske studije.
Bennet, R. 1990. Decentralization, Local Government and Markets. Oxford
Askarov, Zohid and Doucouliagos, Hristos (2015). Development Aid and Growth in Transition Countries. World Development 66, 383-399.
Belloc, Filippo (2011). International Economic Assistance and Migration: The Case of Sub-Saharian Countries. International Migrations 53(1), 187-201.
Berthélemy, Jean-Claude, Beuran Monica and Maurel Mathilde (2009). Aid and Migrations: Substitutes or Compliments. World Development 37(10), 1589-1599.
Bearce, David H. and Tirone, Daniel C. (2010). Foreign