Mariola Galbas, Kamila Borys, Anna Woźniak and Marek Selwet
Impact of Globulins Derived from Genetically Modified and Conventional Soybean on Swine Lymphocyte Proliferation in in vitro Cultures
The majority of the global feed market is dominated by the Roundup Ready 40-3-2 transgenic soybean varieties developed and marketed by Monsanto Company, which are characterized by tolerance to glyphosate, the active ingredient of the Roundup herbicide. It should be remembered, however, that soybean is one of the major allergens which may affect animal health. The aim of the study was to compare allergenic properties of globulins derived from genetically modified (GM) soybean imported from the USA and conventional soybean developed in Poland. Analyses were performed by measuring porcine lymphocyte proliferation in in vitro cultures. It turned out that both genetically modified and conventional soybean proteins caused immune response at the level of negative control. A slight increase in relation to the negative control was observed in the case of 7S and 11S fractions derived from the GM meal and 7S fraction isolated from Nawiko meal.
Piotr Micek, Zygmunt M. Kowalski, Bogdan Kulig and Jarosław Kański
Grassland Association, Helsinki, pp. 438-441.
Vindis P., Mursec B., Janzekovic M., C u s F. (2007). Processing of soybean meal into concentrates and testing for genetically modified organism (GMO). J. Achiev. Mater. Manuf. Eng., 20: 507-510.
Beata Szymczyk, Witold Szczurek, Sylwester Świątkiewicz, Krzysztof Kwiatek, Zbigniew Sieradzki, Małgorzata Mazur, Dariusz Bednarek and Michał Reichert
blood lymphocyte subpopulations. J Anim Feed Sci 2015, 24, 134–143.
6. El-Shamei Z.S., Gab-Alla A.A., Shatta A.A., Moussa E.A. Rayan A.M.: Histopathological changes in some organs of male rats fed on genetically modified corn (Ajeeb YG). J Am Sci 2012, 8, 684–696.
7. Flachowsky G., Chesson A., Aulrich K.: Animal nutrition with feeds from genetically modified plants. Arch Anim Nutr 2005, 59, 1, 1–40.
8. Halle I., Aulrich K., Flachowsky G.: Four generations of feeding of GMO-corn to breeder quail. (Fütterung von gentechnisch verändertem Mais an
Michał Reichert, Wojciech Kozaczyński, Teresa Agnieszka Karpińska, Łukasz Bocian, Agnieszka Jasik, Anna Kycko, Małgorzata Świątkiewicz, Sylwester Świątkiewicz, Iwona Furgał-Dierżuk, Anna Arczewska-Włosek, Juliusz Strzetelski and Krzysztof Kwiatek
plants. Environ Int 2011, 37 , 734-742.
4. EFSA 2008. Report of the EFSA GMO Panel Working Group on Animal Feeding Trials. Safety and nutritional assessment of GM plants and derived food and feed: the role of animal feeding trials. Sci Direct, 46, S2-S70.
5. Flachowsky G., Aulrich K., Böhme H., Halle I.: Studies on feed from genetically modified plants (GMP) - contributions to nutritional and safety assessment. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2007, 133 , 2-30.
6. He X.Y., Tang M.Z., Luo Y.B., Li X., Cao S.Sh., Yu J.J., Delaney B
Małgorzata Świątkiewicz, Dariusz Bednarek, Jan Markowski, Ewa Hanczakowska and Krzysztof Kwiate
proliferation in in vitro cultures. Ann Anim Sci 2011, 11 , 497 - 505.
8. James C.: Global status of commercicalized biotech/GM crops: 2011. ISAAA Brief 2011 no. 43. Ithaca, NY: ISAAA.
9. Khumnirdpetch V., Intarachote U., Treemanee S., Tragoonroong S., Thummabood S.: Detection of GMOs in the broilers that utilized genetically modified soybean meals as a feed ingredient. Plant and Animal Genome, IX Conf., 2001, San Diego, USA, Abstr. 585.
10. Kilic A., Akay M.T.: A three generation study with genetically modified Bt corn in
, KNEŽEVIĆ D, PETROVIĆ S, ZEČEVIĆ V: Variability and stability of harvest index in wheat. Kragujevac J. Sci., 91-96, 2002.
DIMITRIJEVIĆ, M., PETROVIĆ S: GMO - products of novel technology questions and dilemmas. ESNA European society for new methods in agricultural research, Novi Sad, 29. 08. – 2. 09. 2004. Proceedings 29 – 36, 2004.
DIMITRIJEVIĆ M, PETROVIĆ S: GMO - Evolution Under Control or Frankengene Technology. Contemporary Agriculture, 1-2, 287-291, 2005.
DIMITRIJEVIĆ, M. and PETROVIĆ S: Genetic modification in function of ecologically justified