Mikołaj Bielański, Susanna Saari, Anna Wilkońska, Telle Tuominen, Inma Mora, Daniel Binder, Deborah Kendale, Harprit Thacker, Agata Pluszyńska and Paweł Adamski
Challenges for the European SPA Management. Results of the ILIS Project
Introduction. The spa industry has been rapidly growing throughout Europe in recent years, which has led to an associated increase in educational demand in spa management. The aim of the study was to identify the most important needs for training and the most significant skills among the spa managers and their personnel throughout Europe. Moreover, it was to research the background of spas were the study had taken place. Material and methods. 30 managers took part in semi structured interviews that used a pre-prepared questionnaire. The answers were analysed with Wilcoxon signed rank test and also the mean values were compared. Results. The needs for training and importance of skills vary from country to country but common areas of interest are: sales, marketing, quality and innovation management, legal regulations, operational and social skills. The complex character of answers to questionnaire was a result of different spa business models and differing domestic spa markets as well as variety of legal environments. Conclusions. Spa tourism creates a significant income among the other tourism disciplines since that further research is needed. Demands for the spa education differed accordingly to a stage of each country spa business development. Spa managers tend to express higher training needs for their employees than for themselves.
competitiveness of tourist services in spa towns . Kraków-Krynica: Instytut Turystyki w Krakowie Sp. z o.o., Stowa-rzyszenie Gmin Uzdrowiskowych R P. [in Polish]
11. Hadzik A., Kantyka J., Szromek A. (2009). Health tourism and wellness as modern forms of Spa tourism . In J. Bergier (Ed.), Wellness and success (pp. 97-112). Lublin: NeuroCentrum.
12. Górna J. (2011). Determinants and development trends of spa services in Poland, considering integration with the EuropeanUnion . Doctoral thesis. Politechnika Czêstochowska, Czê-stochowa. [in Polish]
. [in Polish]
4. The Minister of Science and Higher Education. (2011). The regulation on the National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education. Warsaw: Journal of Laws No. 253, item 1520. [in Polish]
5. Krasniewski A. (2011). Preparation of a curriculum in accordance with the requirements of the National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education. Warsaw: MNiSW. [in Polish]
6. The European Qualifications Framework for life-long learning (EQF). (2009). Luxembourg: The Publications Office of the EuropeanUnion
Andrzej Hadzik, Rajmund Tomik, Adam Ryszard Szromek and Marek Szczerbowski
. (2002). The opinion of citizens of six European countries on Physical activity. Project „Bridging East - West Health Onlooker”. Medycyna Sportowa 18(5), 169-174. [in Polish]
Martinez-Gonzalez, M., Martinez J.A., Hu F.B., Gibney M.J. & Kearney J. (1999). Physical inactivity, sedentary lifestyle and obesity in the EuropeanUnion. International Journal of Obesity 23, 1192-1201.
Mogila-Lisowska, J. (2010). Recreational physical activity of adult Poles - conditions and style of participation. Warszawa: AWF. [in Polish
Karolina Raczyńska, Grzegorz Żurek, Ryszard Barej, Oskar Pelzer and Siegfried Lehrl
1. Osiński W. (2013). Gerokinesiology – the science and practice of physical activity for the elderly . Warszawa: PZWL. [in Polish]
2. Szpringer M., Wybraniec-Lewicka B., Czerwiak B., Michalska M., Krawczyńska J. (2008). Falls and injuries in geriatic age. Studia Medyczne 9, 77-81. [in Polish]
3. Kryńska E., Szukalski P. (2013). Active ageing measures in EuropeanUnion countries. Final report . Łódź: Universytet Łódzki. [in Polish]
4. Department of Health and Social Services (2007) National Health Programme for the years
Krzysztof Sas-Nowosielski, Andrzej Hadzik, Joanna Górna and Małgorzata Grabara
., Damkjaer S., Engstron L.M. (1992). Stages of change towards physical activity in a nationally representative sample in the EuropeanUnion. Public Health Nutrition 2, 115-124.
17. Nishida Y., Suzuki H., Wang D.H., Kira S. (2003). Psychological determinants of physical activity in Japanese female employees. Journal of Occupational Health 45, 15-22.
18. Tai-Seale T. (2003). Stage of change specific triggers and barriers to moderate physical activity. American Journal of Health Behavior 2, 219-227.
19. Sas-Nowosielski K
Elżbieta Biernat, Małgorzata Tyburcy and Antoni Gajewski
Bottenburg, M. van, Rijnen B. & et al. (2005) Sports participation in the EuropeanUnion. Trends and differences. Arko Sports Media.
Krawczyk, Z. (2000). Sport in Changing Society. Warsaw: AWF Warszawa. [in Polish]
Mussino, A. (1999). Conceptual and operational problems in measuring participation in Sports, Bulletin 52 nd Session of the International Statistical Institute, Helsinki http://www.stat.fi/isi99/proceedings/arkisto/varasto/muss0846.pdf
Ewa Niedzielska, Monika Guszkowska, Ewa Kozdroń, Anna Leś, Bartłomiej Krynicki and Joanna Piotrowska
. Muszalik M., Kędziora-Kornatowska K. (2006). Quality of life in the chronically ill elderly. Gerontologia Polska 14, 185-189. [in Polish]
10. Bilotta C., Bowling A., Nicolini P. (2011). Older people’s quality of life (OPQOL) scores and adverse health outcomes at a one-year follow-up. A prospective cohort study on older outpatients living in the community in Italy. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 9, 72. DOI: 10.1186/1477-7525-9-72.
11. Miłkowska G. (2012). A sense of quality of life of seniors in selected EuropeanUnion member countries
. Krawczyk (Eds.), The values and patterns of youth's physical culture (pp. 12-25). Warszawa: AWF. [in Polish]
Żiżka-Salamon D., Winiarski R. (2002). The values of the body considered and implemented by the school children of Krakow. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport 46, 525-537.[in Polish]
Znaniecki F. (1973). Sociology of Education, vol. II, Personal development of juveniles. Warszawa: PWN. [in Polish]
Kluzowa K., Palus J., Wronicz J. (2011). Sexual education in Poland and in the EuropeanUnion. Wychowawca 2011(6), 24-27. [in
European Commission (2010) The citizens of the EuropeanUnion and Sport, Special Eurobarometer 213/62.0. http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_334_en.pdf
Gratton C. (ed.; 1999) COMPASS, UK Sports Council, British Sports Council, Italian National Olympic Committee, pp. 13-14.
Kraut A. S., S. Melamed, D. Gofer, P. Froom (2003) Effect of school age sports on leisure time physical activity in adults. The CORDIS Study. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 35