Tomasz Próchniak, Iwona Rozempolska-Rucińska, Grzegorz Zięba and Marek Łukaszewicz
Ducro B.J., Koenen E.P.C., Van Tartwijk J.M.F.M., Bovenhuis H. (2007). Genetic relations of movement and free-jumping traits with dressage and show-jumping performance in competition of Dutch Warmblood horses. Livest. Sci., 107: 227-234.
Górecka- Bruzda A., Chruszczewski M.H., Jezierski T., Murphy J. (2011). Behaviour- related traits of Polish sport horse stallions participating in 100-day performance tests. Livest. Sci., 136: 207-215.
Koenen E.P.C., Aldridge L.I. (2002). Testing and genetic
Severe spinal cord injuries (SCI), causing physical handicaps and accompanied by many serious complications, remains one of the most challenging problems in both, human and veterinary health care practices. The central nervous system in mammals does not regenerate, so the neurological deficits in a dog following SCI persists for the rest of its life and the affected animals display an image of permanent suffering. Diagnostics are based on: neurological examination, plain x-rays of vertebral column, x-rays of the vertebral column following intrathecal administration of a water-soluble contrast medium (myelography), x-rays of the vertebral column following epidural administration of a contrast medium (epidurography), computed tomography (CT) and/or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Currently, only limited therapeutic measures are available for the dogs with SCIs. They include: the administration of methylprednisolone sodium succinate (MPSS) during the acute stage; early spinal cord decompression; stabilisation of vertebral fractures or luxations; prevention and treatment of complications, and expert rehabilitation. Together with the progress in the understanding of pathophysiologic events occurring after SCI, different therapeutic strategies have been instituted, including the local delivery of MPSS, the utilisation of novel pharmacological agents, hypothermia, and stem/precursor cell transplantation have all been tested in the experimental models and preclinical trials with promising results. The aim of this review is the presentation of the generally accepted methods of diagnostics and management of dogs with SCIs, as well as to discuss new therapeutic modalities. The research strategy involved a PubMed, Medline (Ovid), Embase (Ovid) and ISI Web of Science literature search from January 2001 to December 2017 using the term “spinal cord injury”, in the English language literature; also references from selected papers were scanned and relevant articles included.
Marcin Barszcz, Anna Tuśnio, Marcin Taciak, Jolanta Paradziej-Łukowicz, Marek Molenda and Andrzej Morawski
in commercial chow: implications for pathways influenced by hormones. Lab. Invest., 81: 735-747.
Fell J.T., Newton J.M. (1970). Determination of tablet strength by the diametral-compression test. J. Pharm. Sci., 59: 688-691.
Ford D.J. (1976). The effect of methods of sterilization on the nutritive value of protein inacommercial rat diet. Brit. J. Nutr., 35: 267-276.
Nicklas W., Baneux P., Boot R., Decelle T., Deeny A.A., Fumanelli M., Illgen - - Wilcke B. (2002). Recommendations for the health monitoring of rodent and
Ewa Łukaszewicz, Paulina Bagińska and Martyna Lasoń
a). Potential relationships between physical traits and male broiler breeder fertility. Poult. Sci., 82: 328-337.
Mc Gary S., Estevez I., Russek - Cohen E. (2003b). Reproductive and aggressive behavior in male broiler breeders with varying fertility levels. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci., 82: 29-44.
Møller A.P. (1990). Fluctuating asymmetry in male sexual ornaments may reliably reveal male quality. Anim. Behav., 40: 1185-1187.
Møller A.P. (1994). Directional selection on directional asymmetry: testes size and secondary
Bogdan Janicki, Anna Kochowicz, Mateusz Buzała and Wiesław Krumrych
.: Laboratory indicators of blood horses - reference values and interpretation. Edited by PIWet 2003, Pulawy, Poland.
17. Muñoz A., Castejõn F.M., Rubio D.M., Vivo R., Agüera E.I., Escribano B.M., Santisteban R.: How erythrocyte and plasma lactate concentrations are related in Andalusian horses during an exercise test and recuperation. J Equine Sci 1996, 7 , 35-42.
18. Muñoz A., Cuesta I., Riber C., Gata J., Trigo P., Castejõn F.M.: Trot asymmetry in relation to physical performance and metabolism in equine endurance rides. Equine Vet J 2006
Özgür Aksoy, Başak Kurt, Celal Şahin Ermutlu, Kürşat Çeçen, Sadık Yayla, Metin Ekinci, İsa Özaydin and Süleyman Erdinç Ünlüer
1. Amarpal K.P., Aithal H.P., Pawde A.M., Paratap K., Gugjoo M.B.: A retrospective study on the prevalence of obstructive urolithiasis in domestic animals during a period of ten years. Adv Anim Vet Sci 2013, 1, 88–92.
2. Bearelly S., Rao S., Fekrat S.: Anaphylaxis following intravenous fluorescein angiography in a vitreoretinal clinic: report of 4 cases. Can J Ophthalmol 2009, 44, 444–445.
3. Cipolla A.F., Khedroo L.G., Casella P. A.: Fluorescein test for rupture of urinary bladder. Surgery 1953, 33, 102–106.
4. Connell R
Agata Marzec, Monika Michalczuk, Krzysztof Damaziak, Arleta Mieszkowska, Andrzej Lenart and Jan Niemiec
Berardinelli A., Ragni L., Giunchi A., Gradari P., Guarnieri A. (2008). Physical-mechanical modifications of eggs for food-processing during storage. Poultry Sci., 87: 2117–2125.
Cantani A. (2008). Pediatric Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Berlin, Springer, pp. 710–713.
Caudill A.B., Curtis P.A., Anderson K.E., Kerth L.K., Oyarazabal O., Jones D.R., Musgrove M.T. (2010). The effects of commercial cool water washing of shell eggs on Haugh unit vitelline membrane strength, aerobic microorganisms, and fungi. Poultry Sci., 89: 160
Krzysztof Wojtas, Przemysław Cwynar and Roman Kołacz
of heat tolerance by physical fitness. J Appl Physiol 1998, 84, 207-214.
13. Schmidt Nielsen K.: Animal Physiology. Adaptation and environment. Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, U.K., 1997.
14. Silanikove N.: Effects of heat stress on the welfare of extensively managed domestic ruminants. Livestock Prod Sci, 2000, 67, 1-18.
15. Singh M., Rai A.K., More T., Dhaliwal J.S.: Note on comparative physiological response of sheep and goats to high ambient temperature. Indian J Anim Sci 1980, 50, 202
Małgorzata Tabaszewska, Tadeusz Grega, Dorota Najgebauer-Lejko and Grażyna Jaworska
Jędrzejkiewicz K., Florowska A. (2007). Stability and quality of non-cholesterol, low-fat mayonnaise emulsions with inulin (in Polish). Zywn.-Nauk. Technol. Ja., 5: 346-359.
Kiokias S., Dimakou C., Oreopoulou V. (2007). Effect of heat treatment and droplet size on the oxidative stability of whey protein emulsions. Food Chem., 105: 94-100.
Korhonen H., Pihlanto A. (2006). Bioactive peptides: production and functionality. Review. Int. Dairy J., 16: 945-960.
Kryża K., Stodolnik L. (2007). The change of oxidative and physical