established as the gold standard for diagnosis of hepatic steatosis ( 4 ). However, due to its invasive diagnostic nature it is not suitable procedure in routine everyday praxis. Therefore, it has been replaced with abdominal ultrasonography, as the commonest technique for NAFLD assessment in clinical trials. In line with this, Bedogni et al. ( 5 ) derived fatty liver index (FLI), an algorithm based on body mass index (BMI), waist circumference (WC), triglycerides (TG) and gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT), as a simple and accurate predictor of NAFLD. An FLI score ≥60 has
Emina Čolak, Dragana Pap, Nada Majkić-Singh and Ivana Obradović
10. Chan DF, Li AM, Chu WC, Chan MH, Wong EM, Liu EK, et al. Hepatic steatosis in obese Chinese children. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004; 28: 1257-63.
11. Roberts EA. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in children. Front Biosci 2005; 10: 2306-18.
12. Franzese A, Vajro P Argenziano A, Puzziello A, Iannucci MP Saviano MC, et al. Liver involvement in obese children. Ultrasonography and liver enzyme levels at diagnosis and during follow-up in an Italian population. Dig Dis Sci 1997; 42: 1428-32.
13. Oliveira AC
, Li AM, Chu WC, et al. Hepatic steatosis in obese Chinese children. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004; 28: 1257-63.
22. Tazawa Y, Noguchi H, Nishinomiya F, Takada G. Serum alanine aminotransferase activity in obese children. Acta Pediatr 1997; 86: 238-41.
23. Monteiro PA, Mota J, Silveria LS, Cayre SU, de Moura M Antunes B, Araujo Fernandes R, Freitas jr IF. Morpho - logical and metabolic determinants of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in obese youth: A pilot study. BMC res Notes 2013; 6: 89-84.
24. Utzschneider KM
Iva Perovic Blagojevic, Tatjana Eror, Jovana Pelivanovic, Svetlana Jelic, Jelena Kotur-Stevuljevic and Svetlana Ignjatovic
Hepatology 2007; 47: 412–7.
9. Xiang S, Hua F, Chen L, Tang Y, Jiang X, Liu Z. Lipid Accumulation Product is Related to Metabolic Syndrome in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Exp Clin End Diab 2013; 121: 115–8.
10. Sert A, Pirgon O, Aypar E, Yilmaz H, Dündar B. Relationship between aspartate aminotransferase-to-platelet ratio index and carotid intima-media thickness in obese adolescents with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J Clin Res Ped End 2013; 5: 182–8.
11. Lee JH, Kim D, Kim HJ, Lee CH, Yang JI, Kim W, et al. Hepatic steatosis index: A simple
Fereshteh Aliasghari, Azimeh Izadi, Masoumeh Jabbari, Bahareh Imani, Bahram Pourghassem Gargari, Foad Asjodi and Sara Ebrahimi
. Inflammation as a potential link between nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and insulin resistance. Journal of Endocrinology 2013; 218(3): R25–R36.
18. Al Rifai M, Silverman MG, Nasir K, Budoff MJ, Blankstein R, Szklo M, et al. The association of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity, and metabolic syndrome, with systemic inflammation and subclinical atherosclerosis: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis 2015; 239(2): 629–33.
19. Ramadan RA. Serum vaspin and insulin resistance: predictors of steatosis and fibrosis in Egyptian
Publishers, Inc., 10, 4, 251—266.
14. Donohue Jr., T. M., 2007: Alcohol-induced steatosis in liver cells. World Journal of Gastroenterology , 13, 37, 4974—4978. DOI: 10.3748/wjg.v13.i37.4974.
15. Dosumu, O. O., Osinubi, A. A. A., Duru, F. I. O., 2014: Alcohol induced testicular damage: Can abstinence equal recovery ? Middle East Fertility Society Journal , 19, 3, 221—228. DOI: 10.1016/j.mefs.2014.01.003.
16. Dupont, I., Bodenez, P., Berthou, F., Simon, B., Bardou, L. G., Lucas, D., 2000: Cytochrome P-450 2E1 activity and oxidative stress in alcoholic
Aleksandra Klisic, Gordana Kocic, Nebojsa Kavaric, Radmila Pavlovic, Ivan Soldatovic and Ana Ninic
without MetS (n=58) and a group with MetS (n=51).
Exclusion criteria for all potential participants were: hsCRP >10 mg/L, acute inflammatory disease, diabetes mellitus, liver diseases other than steatosis, kidney diseases, malignant diseases, gout, ethanol consumption >20 g/day, pregnancy, as well as unwillingness to participate in the study.
The Ethical Committee of the Primary Health Care Center in Podgorica, Montenegro approved the study protocol. All the volunteers provided signed informed consent, and the research was carried out in compliance with the
Aliyeh Salehi, Sina Fallah, Reinhard W. Neugschwandtner, Bano Mehdi and Hans-Peter Kaul
. 2010 Improving nitrogen fertilization in rice by site-specific N management A review. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 30 649 – 656
Petropoulos, A. (Ed.) (2002): Fenugreek: The genus Trigonella Taylor & Francis, London and New York, 200 pp.
Petropoulos A. 2002 Fenugreek: The genus Trigonella Taylor & Francis London and New York 200
Raju, J. and R.P. Bird (2006): Alleviation of hepatic steatosis accompanied by modulation of plasma and liver TNF-alpha levels by Trigonella foenum graecum (fenugreek) seeds in Zucker obese (fa/fa) rats
Sahar Y. Al-Okbi, Doha A. Mohamed, Thanaa E. Hamed and Reham S.H. Esmail
protective and immunomodulatory effects of purslane, pumpkin and flax seeds on hypercholesterolemic rats. N. Am. J. Med. Sci., 2011, 3, 411-417.
12. Barbuio R., Milanski M., Bertolo M.B., Saad M.J., Vellosa L.A., Infl iximab reverses steatosis and improves insulin signal transduction in liver of rats fed a high-fat diet. J. Endocrinol., 2007, 194, 539-550.
13. Basciano H., Federico L., Adeli K., Fructose, insulin resistance, and metabolic dyslipidemia. Nutr. Metab. (Lond.), 2005, 2, 5-19.
14. Bray G.A., Fructose and risk of
Hana Bártíková, Iva Boušová, Petra Matoušková, Barbora Szotáková and Lenka Skálová
., 2011, 3, 17–22.
31. Olney J.W., Brain lesions, obesity, and other disturbances in mice treated with monosodium glutamate. Science, 1969, 164, 719–721.
32. Osei-Hyiaman D., Liu J., Zhou L., Godlewski G., Harvey-White J., Jeong W.I., Batkai S., Marsicano G., Lutz B., Buettner C., Kunos G., Hepatic CB(1) receptor is required for development of diet-induced steatosis, dyslipidemia, and insulin and leptin resistance in mice. J. Clin. Invest., 2008, 118, 3160–3169.
33. Park H.J., DiNatale D.A., C hung M.Y., Park Y.K., Lee J.Y., Koo S.I., O’Connor M