Irina Camelia Chis, Mihai Socaciu, Remus Moldovan and Simona Clichici
1. Sena CM, Pereira AM, Seica R. Endothelial dysfunction- A major mediator of diabetic vascular disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 Dec;1832(12):2216-31. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2013.08.006
2. Sundaram B, Singhal K, Sandhir R. Anti-atherogenic effect of chromium picolinate in streptozotocin-induced experimental diabetes. J Diabetes. 2013 Mar;5(1):43-50. DOI: 10.1111/j.1753-0407.2012.00211.x
3. Chis IC, Muresan A, Adrian O, Andras LN, Simona C. Protective effects of Quercetin and chronic moderate exercise (training) against oxidative
Maria Balcerzak, Anna Tyburska and Elżbieta Święcicka-Füchsel
. Hara and M. G. Simic, Reduction potentials of flavonoid and model phenoxyl radicals. Which ring in flavonoids is responsible for antioxidant activity? J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2 (1996) 2497-2504; DOI:10.1039/p29960002497.
M. Andersen and R. Markham, Flavonoids: Chemistry, Biochemistry and Applications , Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton 2006; DOI:10.1021/np068246q.
M. T. Golovkina, S. V. Karavan and M. V. Pokrovskaya, The interaction of quercetin with Fe(II) and Fe(III), Zh. Obshch. Khim. 44 (1974) 2569
Gongwen Liang, Na Li, Liping Ma, Zhonglian Qian, Yuwen Sun, Luwen Shi and Libo Zhao
. Kao, Y. K. Lin and H. O. Ho, A quantitative structure-activity relationship for the modulation effects of flavonoids on p-glycoprotein-mediated transport, Chem. Pharm. Bull. (Tokyo) 58 (2010) 1187–1194; DOI: 10.1248/cpb.58.1187.
17. P. Limtrakul, O. Khantamat and K. Pintha, Inhibition of P-glycoprotein function and expression by kaempferol and quercetin, J. Chemother. 17 (2005) 86–95; DOI: 10.1179/joc.2005.17.1.86.
18. D. Pal and A. K. Mitra, MDR- and CYP3A4-mediated drug-herbal interactions, Life Sci. 78 (2006) 2131–2145; DOI: 10.1016/j
Nouf M. Al-Rasheed, Laila Fadda, Hala A. Attia, Iman A. Sharaf, Azza M. Mohamed and Nawal M. Al-Rasheed
13. S. Chirumbolo, The role of quercetin, flavonols and flavones in modulating inflammatory cell function, Inflamm. Allergy Drug Targets 9 (2010) 263-285.
14. R. Huang, T. Zhong and H. Wu, Quercetin protects against lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in rats through suppression of inflammation and oxidative stress, Arch. Med. Sci. 11 (2015) 427-432; DOI: 10.5114/aoms.2015.50975.
15. C. R. Kjeldsberg, Principles of hematologic examination, in: G. R. Lee, T. C. Bittell, J. Foerster, J. W. Athens and J. N
1. McConnachie LA, Mohar I, Hudson FN, Ware CB, Ladiges WC, Fernandez C et.al. Glutamate cysteine ligase modifier subunit deficiency and gender as determinants of acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Toxicol Sci. 2007;99(2):628-36.
2. Jaeschke H, Knight TR, Bajt ML. The role of oxidant stress and reactive nitrogen species in acetaminophen hepatotoxicity. Toxicol Lett. 2003;144(3):279-88.
3. Yousef MI, Omar SA, El-Guendi MI, Abdelmegid LA. Potential protective effects of quercetin and curcumin on paracetamol
Farid Berroukeche, Nassima Mokhtari-Soulimane, Asmahan Imessaoudene, Ahmed Sabri Cherrak, Pascale Ronot, Anne Boos, Amina Belhandouz, Hafida Merzouk and Mourad Elhabiri
diet/streptozotocin-induced diabetes in mice. Exp Toxicol Pathol 64: 651-658, 2012.
7. Najera MO, Tinajero IS, Paez LIR et al . Quercetin improves antioxidant response in diabetes through maintenance of reduced glutathione levels in blood. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 7: 2531-2539, 2013.
8. Liu Q, Sun L, Tan Y et al . Role of iron deficiency and overload in the pathogenesis of diabetes and diabetic complications. Curr Med Chem 16: 113-129, 2009.
9. van Acker SA, van Balen GP, van den Berg DJ et al . Influence of iron chelation on the antioxidant
Nada Oršolić, Željko Jeleč, Johann Nemrava, Vedran Balta, Gordana Gregorović and Dražen Jeleč
.S., Chang A.B., Bisphosphonates for osteoporosis in people with cystic fi brosis. Cochrane Database. Syst. Rev., 2012, doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002010.pub3.
6. Coskun O., Kanter M., Korkmaz A., Oter S., Quercetin, a flavonoid antioxidant, prevents and protects streptozotocin-induced oxidative stress and beta-cell damage in rat pancreas. Pharmacol. Res., 2005, 51, 117-123.
7. Coxam V., Phyto-oestrogens and bone health. Proc. Nutr. Soc., 2008, 67, 184-95.
8. Fahmy S.R., Soliman A.M., Oxidative stress as a risk factor of
interpretation. Conn. Vigne Vin, 1984, 18, 253–271 (in French).
15. Hollman P.C.H., van Trijp J.M.P., Buysman M.N.C.P., van der Gaag M.S., Mengelers M.J.B., de Vries J.H.M., Katan M.B., Relative bioavailability of the antioxidant quercetin from various foods in man. FEBS Let., 1997, 418, 152–156.
16. Huerta M.D., Salinas M.R., Masoud T., Alonso G.L., Wine differentiation according to color using conventional parameters and volatile components. J. Food Comp. Anal., 1998, 11, 363–374.
17. International Conference on Harmonization, ICH harmonized tripartite
Martina Danihelová, Miroslav Veverka and Ernest Šturdík
Novel quercetin derivatives were prepared to change its physicochemical properties and effects on activity of proteolytic enzymes. For them preparation, the selective protection procedures some of the quercetin hydroxyl groups and acylation of the others with acylchlorides were used. The ability of these compounds to inhibit the activity of serine proteases e.g. trypsin, thrombin, urokinase and elastase was studied. In micromolar range, tested derivatives were the most potent inhibitors of thrombin. There was estimated better inhibition of thrombin for prenylated, acetylated, feruloyl and caffeoyl quercetin esters. Slight inhibitory effect of all quercetin derivatives on elastase was found. Among tested derivatives only diquercetin displayed better inhibiton. Trypsin and urokinase were inhibited by quercetin at comparable level. Slight improvement in inhibitory effect of trypsin and urokinase was seen for chloronaphtoquinone quercetin that revealed enhanced inhibiton of thrombin, too. However, no influence on elastase activity was determined for this compound. Obtained results indicate that certain modifications of quercetin structure could improve its biological properties.
Dorota Bądziul, Barbara Januszanis, Joanna Jakubowicz-Gil, Ewa Langner, Tomasz Piersiak, Wojciech Rzeski and Antoni Gawron
flavonoids. Brazilian J. Med. Biol. Res. 36, 1613-1620.
Du G., Lin H., Wang M., Zhang S., Wu X., Lu L., Ji L., Yu L., 2010. Quercetin greatly improved therapeutic index of doxorubicin against 4T1 breast cancer by its opposing effects on HIF-1α in tumor and normal cells. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 65 (2), 277-287.
Friedman H. S., Kerby T., Calvert H., 2000. Temozolomide and treatment of malignant glioma. Clin. Cancer Res. 6, 2585-2597.
Garrido C., Schmitt E., Candé C., Vahsen N., Parcellier A