The landscape of Nowy Wiśnicz is a unique example of the preservation of Baroque cultural landscape. Changes in the manner in which the castle surroundings are used and a lack of care resulted in overgrown greenery which then began to interfere with precious spatial relations. The landscape currently requires intervention. Conservation has been protecting the site against investment plans. However, it must be integrated with active protection in the form of caring for the vast area in order to preserve the spatial meaning of the entire complex. A study of the exposure of the castle hill indicated further actions that are required for the landscape framework. With use of contemporary methods of a visual analysis, the main exposure links were identified. Two options of specific guidelines for land cover were then defined. These were considered with regard to the current state and then against the future state in the case of no intervention. These guidelines constitute the basis for further steps for the development and management of the surroundings of the castle hill.
Many studies have observed that the mechanical properties of concrete made of recycled aggregate are worse than for concrete made of natural aggregate; this is mainly due to the mortar that is attached to the recycled aggregate. In literature, an equivalent mortar volume method in the manufacturing of recycled aggregate concrete has been proposed. This method treats the attached mortar as new mortar. The application of this method can reduce the use of natural materials while maintaining mechanical properties and eliminate the additional processes required for the production of recycled aggregates. The aim of this paper is to briefly describe the recent application of this method, present gaps in current research and anticipated directions for further research.
This article discusses the history of the spatial development of the town of Jordanów, as well as the cultural heritage sites located inside the territory of this urban centre. Jordanów, currently located within the administrative area of the Lesser Poland Voivodship, in the district of Sucha, was founded as a private town in 1564 and issued a charter by the Krakow Voivod Spytek Jordan of Zakliczyn. The urban centre is an example of a town which was founded in cruda radice–i.e. on previously undepeveloped land–during the early modern period but whose model bears a similarity to traditional urban forms used in previous centuries.
Performing arts halls are increasingly becoming multi-purpose halls. Purpose-built venues that serve purely as concert halls or opera houses are rather rare today. Multi-purpose halls, conversely, can be used for different types of stage presentations inside a single building, under one roof with proportionally lower costs; furthermore, they can also be used for activities which are not related to the performing arts. The paper discusses functional and spatial adaptability and flexibility in multiple-use halls, and presents possible forms and arrangements of the stage and the auditorium as well as their spatial interrelations. Attention is focused upon acoustics and their impact on the functioning of multi-purpose performance spaces. The paper also presents multi-use and multi-format facilities. The author attempts to determine the best possible conditions for various types of theatre arrangement.
The oxidation kinetics of depleted uranium and its low-alloy molybdenum alloys (U-2wt.%Mo, U-5wt.%Mo) were measured in a moist air (75% relative humidity) at 60 and 75 ° C. Coefficients of reaction rate equations were determined for linear oxidation kinetics. In the oxidation of depleted uranium at 75 ° C, a change in reaction kinetics from linear to exponential behaviour was observed after about 2500 hours.
This article presents the problem of the maintenance and adaptation of a historic shooting pavilion for new premises of the Museum of Photography in Krakow. The wooden pavilion used to be a part of the military shooting range development in Wola Justowska, established for the Austrian army in the 1880s. The adaptation of the pavilion for new functions has primarily enabled the protection of this historic and derelict building, which was entered into the Register of Historical Monuments in 1993. Conservation works have restored the shooting pavilion to it former splendour; there is also an effective display of preserved architectual elements, although these vary in their technical condition.
Biodegradable metallic implants are materials that serve as a temporary implants and scaffolds. They degrade directly in vivo and therefore eliminate need for secondary surgical intervention. They are often made of metals such as magnesium, iron, zinc and can be modified by coating with the inorganic or polymeric layer. In this work iron-based biomaterial was prepared and modified with polymeric (polyethyleneimine, PEI) layer. Its degradation behavior was studied under conditions of simulated body fluids at 37 ± 0.2 °C in the form of static immersion tests. It has been shown that the surface modification caused an acceleration of degradation of the material and also had an influence on the corrosion mechanism.
The beginning of the use of polyester resins for artistic work date back to the late 1950s. Initially, resins were supposed to temporarily replace and imitate traditional but more expensive sculptural materials (stone, bronze). Later, original, especially fiberglass works were created, where the laminate formed a shell connected to the internal supporting steel structure. Until now, only part of the exterior works of art made of polyester resins have been survived. Although polyester resins are considered to have good weather resistance, most exterior sculptures exhibit more or less severe defects, often resulting from neglected maintenance. The main types of defects occurring in polyester fiberglass works are presented. The most serious damage is cracks in the entire thickness of the shell, because water can easily penetrate to the internal steel structure. In the case of prolonged water penetration, the statue may collapse due to corrosion. The article presents the procedure of exploring the fiberglass sculpture from the 1950s with the introduction of suitable methods for the documentation of the state of the work. Finally, suitable restoration interventions to maximize the life of the statues are discussed.
The paper presents the results of research work that has been performed on the von Wentzky family’s palace at Rychnów. Firstly, the architecture of the palace is discussed and written sources concerning the village and the von Wentzky family are reviewed. Based on the architectural studies and the analysis of the details, the most important phases of the place’s transformation were defined. The recognition of the wall construction chronology contributed to the identification of two construction and transformation stages. The original Baroque palace, with its modest architecture was erected on a classic three crosswise-section plan by Ernst Fryderyk von Wenzky in 1781. The building had survived without major changes up until the beginning of the twentieth century, when it was transformed in the years 1906–1907. An extension was added to the west elevation as were a loggia and a porch on the avant-corpses. The research work enabled the author to identify the reach of the palace’s Baroque foundations, and it formed the grounds for generating recommendations to conservators concerning repairs and restoration work.
In 2016, on the sesquicentennial anniversary of the death of Peter Joseph Lenné, an exhibition, entitled “Mistrzowskie jak rzadko które…”. Ogrody Petera Josepha Lenné w Polsce, was presented. It constituted the conclusion of a joint Polish and German academic project. As a part of the research project, a comprehensive review of garden and park layouts was performed and the degree to which Lenné himself and his associates had been involved in the design of the gardens was verified. It was also determined whether the projects had been carried out in accordance with the original assumptions of their authors. The projects were assessed on the basis of surviving garden plans and drawings from the collection of the Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten (SPSG), as well as data obtained during a query of archival materials and field studies carried out in the years 2014–2015.