Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1), a cell surface glycoprotein, has been found to be associated with immunopathological processes within the eye. Expression of ICAM-1 is upregulated during inflammatory diseases and its soluble form (sICAM-1) was shown to be elevated in patients with ocular inflammatory and infectious disorders.
The purpose of the present study was to analyse sICAM-1 level after human corneal cells (10.014 pRSV-T cell line) in vitro with ethanol, ethyl acetate and heptane extracts of three herbs (Lamium album , Euphrasia officinalis and Aloe vera ). Ethanol and ethyl acetate extracts altered sICAM-1 level depending on herb, solvent and extract concentration applied. Heptane extract of each plant caused only concentration-dependent decrease of sICAM-1 level when added to the corneal cell culture.
Concluding, the analysed plant extracts, after further tests, could be considered as supplementary compounds of eye drops, in order to attain reduction of inflammatory responses during ocular diseases.
1. Chan S. C. H., Shum D. K. Y., Tipoe G. L., Mak J. C. W., Leung E. T. M., Ip M. S. M. 2008. Upregulation of ICAM-1 expression in bronchial epithelial cells by airway secretions in bronchiectasis. Respir. Med. 102, 287-298.
2. Gao J., Morgan G., Tieu D., Schwalb T. A., Luo J. Y., Wheeler L. A., Stern M. E. 2004. ICAM-1 expression predisposes ocular tissues to immune-based inflammation in dry eye patients and Sjögrens syndrome-like MRL/1pr mice. Exp. Eye Res. 78, 823-835.
3. Huang Q., Shao L., He M., Chen H., Liu D., Luo Y., Dai Y. 2005. Inhibitory effect of sasanquasaponin on over-expression of ICAM-1 and on enhancement of capillary permeability induced by burns in rats. Burns 31, 637-642.
4. Mo S.-J., Son E.-W., Lee S.-R., Lee S.-M., Shin D.-H., Pyo S. 2007. CML-1 inhibits TNF-α induced NF-κB activation and adhesion molecule expression in endothelial cells through inhibition of IκBα kinase. J. Ethnopharmacol. 109, 78-86.
5. Nagineni Ch. N., Kutty R. K., Detrick B., Hooks J. J. 1996. Inflammatory cytokines induce intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) mRNA synthesis and protein secretion by human retinal pigment epithelial cell cultures. Cytokine 8, 622-630.
6. Struckmann J., Manthorpe R., Bendixen G. 1981. Anti-ENA antibody in serum determined by ELISA-technique. Description of method and recommended procedure. Allergy. Eur. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 36, 397-403.
7. Yannariello-Brown J., Hallberg C. K., Häberle H., Brysk M. M., Jiang Z., Patel J. A., Ernst P. B., Trocme S. D. 1998. Cytokine modulation of human corneal epithelial cell ICAM-1 (CD54) expression. Exp. Eye Res. 67, 383-393.