In urban ecosystems, typically created by humans, it is very difficult to balance the needs of all its inhabitants. Significance of nature in the cities has been perceived since the ancient times. In the city there are many problems associated with the lack or sometimes excess of water, as well as poor quality. In times of water resources decline and their progressive degradation, each aquatic ecosystem should be investigated because of its values. Among the aquatic ecosystems occurring in the cities, there are: river valleys, natural lakes, water reservoirs, as well as small bodies of water. The aim of this study is to raise public awareness about the role of aquatic ecosystems in cities with different sizes and with a varying number of inhabitants. All respondents in each type of city felt the need of water presence in their surroundings and treated it as a necessary part of the proper functioning, as well as a place for rest and recreation. However, lack of management and a poor ecological status of them were noticed
1. Barthel S., Sorlin S. and Ljungkvist J., 2010 ‒ Innovative memory and resilient cities echoes from ancient Constantinopole, in Sinclair et al. (eds), The urban mind, cultural and environmental dynamics, Uppsala University Press, 391-405.
2. Celiński F., Czylok A. and Kubajak A., 2001 ‒ The nature guide to Dąbrowa Górnicza, Wyd. Kubajak, Krzeszowice, 1-72. (in Polish)
3. Chełmicki W., 2012 ‒ Water, resources, degradation, conservation, Wyd. Nauk, PWN, 1-305. (in Polish)
4. Damurski Ł., 2012 ‒ Polish planners’ attitudes towards citizen participation, Problemy Ekorozwoju - Problems of sustainable development, 7, 2, 87-96.
5. Januchta-Szostak A., 2011 ‒ Water in urban public space, Model forms of management of rainwater and surface Walters, Wyd. Politechnika Poznańska, 91-110. (in Polish)
6. Januchta-Szostak A., 2013 ‒ Water ecosystems service in urban areas, in Bergier J. and Kronenberg J., (eds), Sustainable development - applications, Wyd Fund, Sendzimira Kraków, 3, 89-110. (in Polish)
7. Kuczyńska-Kippen N., Nowosad P. and Grzegorz G., 2004 ‒ The assessment of water quality of lakes in the Wielkopolski National Park and recreational reservoirs in Poznan city in spring, in Roczniki Akademii Rolniczej w Poznaniu, CCCLXIII, 193-200. (in Polish)
8. Kułak A. and Chmielewski T. J., 2010 ‒ The expectation social relating qualities farm implementing waterside recreational areas: examples from Poland, Germany and Turkey, Problemy Ekologii Krajobrazu, 27, 253-258. (in Polish)
9. Mioduszewski W., 1999 ‒ Protection and formation of water supplies in agricultural landscape, in Wyd. IMUZ, Falenty. (in Polish)
10. Mioduszewski W., 2006 ‒ Influence of small water reservoirs on groundwater level, Teka Komisji Ochrony i Kształtowania Środowiska Przyrodniczego PAN Lublin, III, 136-140. (in Polish)
11. Pawłowska K., 2012 ‒ Public participation in decision making process aboute nature in the city, in Bergier J. and Kronenberg J., (eds), Sustainable development - applications, Wydawnictwo Fundacja Sendzimira, Kraków, 3, 49-68. (in Polish)
12. Radwan S. and Sender J., 2008 ‒ Freshwater ecosystems - types, concepts of functioning and principles of protection, in Gliński J. and Michalczyk Z., (eds.), Chosen problems of water retention, UMCS Lublin, PAN O/LUBLIN, 83-93. (in Polish)
13. Sender J. and Kułak A., 2010 ‒ Significance and development of small water body in the immediate vicinity of Zemborzycki water reservoir in Lublin, Teka Komisji Ochrony i Kształtowania Środowiska Przyrodniczego PAN Lublin, 7, 365-373.