Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation of the splenic red pulp has been described quite recently; many of the lesions previously diagnosed as splenic exuberant granulation tissue, multinodular hemangioma, and inflammatory pseudotumor could actually belong to this category. The lesion has been well reported intermittently in the past, but new cases with still newer associations keep appearing from time to time. There are no known risk factors and no inciting triggers have been proven. We report two such cases- one of which has extensive extramedullary haematopoiesis; a feature that has never been reported earlier. Clinico-morphological and radiological features along with pathogenesis are discussed in detail.
1. Abbott RM, Levy AD, Aguilera NS, Gorospe L, Thompson WM. From the archives of the AFIP: Primary vascular neoplasms of the spleen: Radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 2004; 24:1137-63.
2. Awamleh AA, Perez-Ordoñez B. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation of the spleen. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007;131: 974-8.
3. Krishnan J, Frizzera G. Two splenic lesions in need of clarification: Hamartoma and inflammatory pseudotumor. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2003;20:94-104.
4. Diebold J, Le Tourneau A, Marmey B, Prevot S, Muller-Hermelink HK, Sevestre H, Molina T, Billotet C, Gaulard P, Knopf JF, Bendjaballah S, Mangnan Marai A, Briere J, Fabiani B, Audouin J. Is sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation (SANT) of the splenic red pulp identical to inflammatory pseudotumour? Report of 16 cases. Histopathology. 2008;53:299-310.
5. Martel M, Cheuk W, Lombardi L, Lifschitz- Mercer B, Chan JK Rosai J. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation (SANT): Report of 25 cases of a distinct benign splenic lesion. Am J Surg Pathol. 2004;28:1268-79.
6. Thacker C, Korn R, Millstine J, Harvin H, Jeffrey A. Van Lier Ribbink JA, Gotway MB. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation of the spleen: CT, MR, PET, and 99mTc-sulfur colloid SPECT CT findings with gross and histopathological correlation. Abdominal Imaging. 2010;35: 683-9.
7. Li L, Fischer DA, Stanek AE. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation (SANT) of spleen: Addition of a case with focal CD68 staining and distinctive CT features. Am J Surg Pathol. 2005;29:839-41.
8. Kim HJ, Kim KW, Yu ES, Byun JH, Lee SS, Kim JH, Lee JS. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation of the spleen: Clinical and radiologic characteristics. Acta Radiologica. 2012; 53:701-6.