Objective: The aim of this study was to determine the rate of Her-2 gene amplification in breast cancer cases with a previous negative Her-2 result as determined by immunohistochemistry (score 0 or 1).
Material and Method: 552 cases of invasive breast carcinoma were assessed with the contribution of 9 centers. Previous immunohistochemistry score was either 0 or 1+ in all cases. These cases were re-tested by Her-2 silver in situ hybridization in the central laboratory. Her-2 gene amplification was defined as Her-2/CEP 17 ratio of more than 2.2. Cases with a ratio between 1.8 and 2.0 were defined as equivocal and cases with a ratio of less than 1.8 were defined as negative.
Results: Re-testing of the 552 cases with silver in situ hybridization showed a total of 22 cases with Her-2 gene amplification, of which 11 (3.2%) were found to be score 0, and 11 were found to be score 1+ (5.3%) by immunohistochemistry previously. Her-2 gene amplification rate of cases (score 0 and 1+) ranged from 0% to 10.48% among the centers. Polysomy was found in 28 (8.1%) of the score 0 cases and 25 (12.1%) among the score 1+ cases. Five (9.4%) of the cases with polysomy were found to be amplified, and 48 (90.6%) were not.
Conclusion: The results of the study show that a group of cases (3.98%) with a potential to benefit from anti-Her-2 therapy may be missed with the immunohistochemical method. This indicates the importance of quality assurance, especially in central laboratories with many breast cancer cases in daily practice.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. B ilous M Ades C Armes J Bishop J Brown R Cooke B Cummings M Farshid G Field A Morey A McKenzie P Raymond W Robbins P Tan L. Predicting the HER2 status of breast cancer from basic histopathology data: An analysis of 1500 breast cancers as part of the HER2000 international study. Breast. 2003;12:92-8.
2. Perez EA Roche PC Jenkins RB Reynolds CA Halling KC Ingle JN Wold LE. HER2 testing in patients with breast cancer: Poor correlation between weak positivity by immunohistochemistry and gene amplification by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Mayo Clin Proc. 2002;77:148-54.
3. Wolff AC Hammond ME Schwartz JN Hagerty KL Allred DC Cote RJ Dowsett M Fitzgibbons PL Hanna WM Langer A McShane LM Paik S Pegram MD Perez EA Press MF Rhodes A Sturgeon C Taube SE Tubbs R Vance GH van de Vijver M Wheeler TM Hayes DF. American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists: American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer. Arch Path Lab Med. 2007;131:18-43.
4. Slamon DJ Clark GM Wong SG Levin WJ Ullrich A McGuire WL. Human breast cancer: Correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the HER-2/neu oncogene. Science. 1987;235:177-82.
5. Tuzlalı S Yavuz E Canda T Özgun Gecer M Süllü Y Sezer C Süren D Dizbay Sak S Calay Z İlvan Ş Zorludemir S Ergin M Karaveli FŞ Peştereli E Özdener F Üstündağ K. Meme kanserinde aşırı HER 2 reseptörü ekspresyonunun değerlendirildiği ulusal çok merkezli epidemiyolojik calışma. 21.Ulusal Patoloji Kongresi Bildiri Özetleri; 2011 Kasım 16-21; İzmir Türkiye
6. Lund MJ Butler EN Hair BY Ward KC Andrews JH Oprea-Ilies G Bayakly AR O’Regan RM Vertino PM Eley JW. Age/race differences in HER2 testing and in incidence rates for breast cancer triple subtypes. A population-based study and first report. Cancer. 2010;116:2549-59.
7. Owens MA Horten BC Da Silva MM. HER2 amplification ratios by fluorescence in situ hybridization and correlation with immunohistochemistry in a cohort of 6556 breast cancer tissues. Clin Breast Cancer. 2004;5:63-9.
8. Penault-Llorca F Bilous M Dowsett M Hanna W Osamura RY Ruschoff J van de Vijver M. Emerging technologies for assessing HER2 amplification. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009;132:539-48.
9. Yaziji H Goldstein LC Barry TS Werling R Hwang H Ellis GK Gralow JR Livingston RB Gown AM. HER-2 testing in breast cancer using parallel tissue-based methods. JAMA. 2004;291:1972-7.
10. Reddy JC Reimann JD Anderson SM Klein PM. Concordance between central and local laboratory HER2 testing from a community-based clinical study. Clin Breast Cancer. 2006;7:153-7.
11. Dendukuri N Khetani K McIsaac M Brophy J. Testing for HER2-positive breast cancer: A systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis. CMAJ. 2007;176:1429-34
12. Sauter G Lee J Bartlett JM Slamon DJ Press MF. Guidelines for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing: Biologic and methodologic considerations. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:1323-33.
13. Walker RA Bartlett JM Dowsett M Ellis IO Hanby AM Jasani B Miller K Pinder SE. HER2 testing in the UK: Further update to recommendations. J Clin Pathol. 2008;61:818-24.
14. Pauletti G Dandekar S Rong H Ramos L Peng H Seshadri R Slamon DJ. Assessment of methods for tissue-based detection of the HER-2/neu alteration in human breast cancer: A direct comparison of fluorescence in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18:3651-64.
15. Gown AM Goldstein LC Barry TS Kussick SJ Kandalaft PL Kim PM Tse CC: High concordance between immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization testing for HER2 status in breast cancer requires a normalized IHC scoring system. Mod Pathol. 2008;21:1271-7.
16. Krishnamurti U Hammers JL Atem FD Storto PD Silverman JF. Poor prognostic significance of unamplified chromosome 17 polysomy in invasive breast carcinoma. Mod Pathol. 2009;22:1044-8.
17. Vanden Bempt I Van Loo P Drijkoningen M Neven P Smeets A Christiaens MR Paridaens R De Wolf-Peeters C. Polysomy 17 in breast cancer: Clinicopathologic significance and impact on HER-2 testing. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:4869-74.
18. Hyun CL Lee HE Kim KS Kim SW Kim JH Choe G Park SY. The effect of chromosome 17 polysomy on HER-2/neu status in breast cancer. J Clin Pathol. 2008;61:317-21.
19. Torrisi R Rotmensz N Bagnardi V Viale G Curto BD Dell’orto P Veronesi P Luini A D’Alessandro C Cardillo A Goldhirsch A Colleoni M. HER2 status in early breast cancer: Relevance of cell staining patterns gene amplification and polysomy 17. Eur J Cancer. 2007;43:2339-44.
20. Wolff AC Hammond ME Hicks DG Dowsett M McShane LM Allison KH Allred DC Bartlett JM Bilous M Fitzgibbons P Hanna W Jenkins RB Mangu PB Paik S Perez EA Press MF Spears PA Vance GH Viale G Hayes DF. American Society of Clinical Oncology; College of American Pathologists: Recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists clinical practice guideline update. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:3997-4013.
21. Ross JS. Saving lives with accurate HER2 testing. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010;134:183-4.