With disruptive technologies constantly emerging, the impact of artificial intelligence is becoming a relevant topic nowadays. An extensive investment in business intelligence support systems has been recognized as one of the top priorities of most successful managers. However, these constant internal changes of systems and management styles rarely happen smooth and natural, and frequently they trigger serious issues for the companies and its interactions with their customers. Implementations like automated call centers and online payment systems are just mainstream examples which can be used to show the numerous implications of the intrusion of artificial intelligence systems in our everyday life. With the increasing use of various forms of technology, an ongoing discussion has emerged about people's willingness to accept these technological trends. There are, of course, both pro and counter arguments to be discussed. In this article there are presented the results of an eye-tracking experiment about the reaction of consumers towards several forms of artificial intelligence. It has been shown that consumers have the tendency to react more at unexpected situations involving robots and forms of artificial intelligence.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bughin J. Hazan E. Ramaswamy S. Chui M. Allas T. Dahlström P. Henke N. Trench M. (2017) Aritificial Intelligence: The next digital frontier? online at https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Industries/Advanced%20Electronics/Our%20Insights/How%20artificial%20intelligence%20can%20deliver%20real%20value%20to%20companies/MGI-Artificial-Intelligence-Discussion-paper.ashx; accessed on 05.11.2018;
2. Buxbaum O. (2016) Key Insights into Basic Mechanisms of Mental Activity Springer online at http:// www.springer.com/978-3-319-29466-7 accessed on: 04.11.2018;
3. East R. Wright M. Vanhuele M. (2008) Consumer Behaviour: Applications in Marketing Sage London;
4. Fagnant D. J.; Kockelman K. (2015) Preparing a nation for autonomous vehicles: Opportunities barriers and policy recommendations. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 77 167-181;
5. Hassan Q.F. (2018). Internet of Things A to Z: Technologies and Applications. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 27-8. ISBN 9781119456759;
6. Jia J. (2009) CSIEC: A computer assisted English learning chatbot based on textual knowledge and reasoning Knowledge-Based Systems 22(4) 249-255 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2008.09.001;
7. Kotu V. Deshpande B. (2015) Predictive Analytics and Data Mining Morgan Kaufmann Waltham USA ISBN 978-0-12-801460-8;
8. Lee J.D. See K.A. (2004) Trust in automation: designing for appropriate reliance. Human Factors 46(1) 50-80;
9. Leo M. Medioni G. Trivemdi M. Kanade T. Farinella G.M. (2017) Computer vision for assistive technologies Computer Vision and Image Understanding Volume 154 January 2017 Pages 1-15;
10. Lin C.T.; Hsu P.F. (2003) Selection of Internet Advertising Networks Using an Analytic Hierarchy Process and Grey Relational Analysis Information and Management Sciences 14 (2) 1-16;
11. McCarthy John; Minsky Marvin; Rochester Nathan; Shannon Claude (1955) A Proposal for the Dartmouth Summer Research Project on Artificial Intelligence online at https://web.archive.org/web/20070826230310/http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/history/dartmouth/dartmouth.html accessed on: 04.11.2018;
12. McKnight D.H. Choudhury V. Kacmar C. (2002) The impact of initial consumer trust on intentions to transact with a web site: a trust building model. Journal of Strategic Information Systems 11(3) 297-323;
13. Metz R. (2012) Augmented Reality Is Finally Getting Real. Technology Review 2012 online at https://www.technologyreview.com/s/428654/augmented-reality-is-finallygetting-real/ accessed on: 06.11.2018;
14. Panker J. Lewis M. Fahey E. Vasquez M. J. (2007). How do you pronounce IT? TechTarget online at https://whatis.techtarget.com/reference/How-do-you-pronounce-IT accessed on 06.11.2018;
15. Rognerud J. (2014). Ultimate Guide to Optimizing Your Website Entrepreneur Press; Rosca M.I (2017) Metode de cercetări de marketing utilizate în publicitate ASE Publishing House Bucharest;
16. Silahtaroğlua G. Alayoglub N. (2016) Using or Not Using Business Intelligence and Big Data for Strategic Management: An Empirical Study Based on Interviews with Executives in Various Sectors Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 235 208-215;
17. Sonka M.; Hlavac V.; Boyle R. (2008) Image Processing Analysis and Machine Vision Cengage Learning; Swarup P. (2012) Artificial Intelligence International Journal of Computing and Corporate Research 2(4) online at https://www.ijccr.com/july2012/4.pdf accessed on: 06.11.2018;
18. Tanțău A.; Pelau C.; Pop M. (2018) Fake news in the energy industry in: Pleșea D. Vasiliu C. Murswieck A. Pamfilie R. Dinu V. Tăchiciu L. and Olaru M. (eds.) Fourth BASIQ International Conference on New Trends in Sustainable Business and Consumption (BASIQ) Heidelberg Germany 11-13 June 2018. Bucharest: Editura ASE pg. 204-210;
19. Turing A. M. (1950) Computing Machinery and Intelligence Mind 433-460;
20. Van Engen K.J. McLaughin D.J. (2018) Eyes and ears: Using eye tracking and pupillometry to understand challenges to speech recognition Hearing Research 369 56-66.