Background. Alcohol addiction is a very common and complex disease. Alcohol addicted patients have a high risk for developing comorbid psychiatric disorder. Methods. In the present study, we explored symptom expression and severity for the most common comorbid mental disorders in Slovenian alcohol addicted patients. Three groups of male subjects were included: 101 acutely alcohol-addicted inpatients, 100 former alcohol-addicted subjects and 97 healthy controls from a blood donors group. The following questionnaires were employed: AUDIT, Zung Depression and Anxiety scale, Brief Social Phobia Scale, Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale and Obsessive Compulsive Drinking Scale, and Buss-Durkee Hostility Inventory. Results. Acutely addicted patients showed significantly more obsessive (p<0.001) and compulsive (p<0.001) symptoms and also more obsessive-compulsive symptoms of relying on alcohol consumption (p<0.001) compared to the other two groups. Acutely addicted patients showed significantly more anxiety (p<0.001) as well as depressive (p<0.001) and aggressive (p<0.001) traits compared to the other two groups. Conclusions. Obsessive-compulsive, anxious, depressive and aggressive traits can be comorbidities associated with alcohol addiction. Increased attention to these symptoms during the treatment of alcohol addiction could result in better outcome of alcohol addiction treatment and lower relapse rate
1. Dick DM, Bierut LJ. The genetics of alcohol dependence. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2006; 8: 151-7.
2. Dick DM, Agrawal A. The genetics of alcohol and other drug dependence. Alcohol Res Health 2008; 31: 111-6.
3. Schuckit MA, Hesselbrock V. Alcohol dependence and anxiety disorders: what is the relationship? Focus 2004; 2: 440-53.
4. Regier DA, Farmer ME, Rae DS, Locke BZ, Keith SJ, et al. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse: results from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Study. JAMA 1990; 264: 2511-8.
5. Farrell M, Howes S, Bebbington P, Brugha T, Jenkins R, Lewis G, et al. Nicotine, alcohol and drug dependence and psychiatric comorbidity: results of a national household survey. Br J Psychiatry 2001; 179: 432-7.
6. Sánchez-Peña JF, Alvarez-Cotoli P, Rodríguez-Solano JJ. Psychiatric disorders associated with alcoholism: 2 year follow-up of treatment. Actas Esp Psiquiatr 2012; 40: 129-35.
7. Hines LM, Ray L, Hutchison K, Tabakoff B. Alcoholism: the dissection for endophenotypes. Dialogues Clin Neurosci 2005; 7: 153-63.
8. Enoch MA, Goldman D. The genetics of alcoholism and alcohol abuse. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2001; 3: 144-51.
9. Schneider U, Altmann A, Baumann M, Bernzen J, Bertz B, et al. Comorbid anxiety and affective disorder in alcohol-dependent patients seeking treatment: the first Multicentre Study in Germany. Alcohol Alcohol 2001; 36: 219-23.
10. Pettinati HM, O‘brien CP, Dundon WD. Current status of co-occurring mood and substance use disorders: a new therapeutic target. Am J Psychiatry 2013; 170: 23-30.
11. Rus Makovec M, Cebasek Travnik Z, Radovanovic M, Ivancic R, Tomsic V. Diagnostika komorbidnosti pri bolnikih, odvisnih od alkohola: razlike in dileme. Zdrav Vestn 2002; 71: 679-84.
12. Echeburúa E, De Medina RB, Aizpiri J. Comorbidity of alcohol dependence and personality disorders: a comparative study. Alcohol Alcohol 2007; 42: 618-22.
13. Boschloo L, Vogelzangs N, Smit JH, Van Den Brink W, Veltman DJ, Beekman AT, et al. Comorbidity and risk indicators for alcohol use disorders among persons with anxiety and/or depressive disorders: findings from the Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety (NESDA). J Affect Disord 2011; 131: 233-42.
14. Falk DE, Yi HY, Hilton ME. Age of onset and temporal sequencing of lifetime DSM-IV alcohol use disorders relative to comorbid mood and anxiety disorders. Drug Alcohol Depend 2008; 94: 234-45.
15. Schade A, Marquenie LA, Van Balkom AJ, Koeter MW, De Beurs E, Van Den Brink W, et al. Alcohol-dependent patients with comorbid phobic disorders: a comparison between comorbid patients, pure alcoholdependent and pure phobic patients. Alcohol Alcohol 2004; 39: 241-6.
16. Bolton J, Cox B, Clara I, Sareen J. Use of alcohol and drugs to selfmedicate anxiety disorders in a nationally representative sample. J Nerv Ment Dis 2006; 194: 818-25.
17. Bolton JM, Robinson J, Sareen J. Self-medication of mood disorders with alcohol and drugs in the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. J Affect Disord 2009; 115: 367-75.
18. De Graaf R, Bijl RV, Ten Have M, Beekman AT, Vollebergh WA. Pathways to comorbidity: the transition of pure mood, anxiety and substance use disorders into comorbid conditions in a longitudinal population-based study. J Affect Disord 2004; 82: 461-7.
19. Rus-Makovec M, Cebasek-Travnik Z. Co-occurring mental and somatic diagnoses of alcohol dependent patients in relation to long-term aftercare alcohol abstinence and well-being. Psychiatr Danub 2008; 20: 194-207.
20. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
21. Rush AJ. Handbook of psychiatric measures. 1st ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
22. Goodman WK, Price LH. Assessment of severity and change in obsessive compulsive disorder. Psychiatr Clin North Am 1992; 15: 861-9.
23. Anton RF. Obsessive-compulsive aspects of craving: development of the Obsessive Compulsive Drinking Scale. Addiction 2000; 95 (Suppl 2): S211-7.
24. Zung WW. A Self-Rating Depression Scale. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1965; 12: 63-70.
25. Zung WW. A rating instrument for anxiety disorders. Psychosomatics 1971; 12: 371-9.
26. Davidson JR, Miner CM, De Veaugh-Geiss J, Tupler LA, Colket JT, Potts NL. The Brief Social Phobia Scale: a psychometric evaluation. Psychol Med 1997; 27: 161-6.
27. Buss AH, Durkee A. An inventory for assessing different kinds of hostility. J Consult Psychol 1957; 21: 343-9.
28. True WR, Xian H, Scherrer JF, Madden PA, Bucholz KK, Heath AC, et al. Common genetic vulnerability for nicotine and alcohol dependence in men. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999; 56: 655-61.
29. Amit Z, Weiss S, Smith BR, Markevitch S. Use of caffeine-based products and tobacco in relation to the consumption of alcohol: an examination of putative relationships in a group of alcoholics in Israel. Eur Addict Res 2004; 10: 22-8.
30. Peloquin MP, Hecimovic K, Sardinha J, Stewart SH, Barrett SP. The effect of snus on alcohol-related cigarette administration in dependent and non-dependent smokers. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2013; 114-115: 97-102.
31. Lajtha A, Sershen H. Nicotine: alcohol reward interactions. Neurochem Res 2010; 35: 1248-58.
32. Suzuki K, Muramatsu T, Takeda A, K. S. Co-occurrence of obsessivecompulsive personality traits in young and middle-aged Japanese alcohol-dependent men. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2002; 26: 1223-7.
33. Prisciandaro JJ, Desantis SM, Chiuzan C, Brown DG, Brady KT, Tolliver BK. Impact of depressive symptoms on future alcohol use in patients with co-occurring bipolar disorder and alcohol dependence: a prospective analysis in an 8-week randomized controlled trial of acamprosate. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2012; 36: 490-6.
34. Connolly JM, Kavanagh DJ, Baker AL, Kay-Lambkin FJ, Lewin TJ, Davis PJ, et al. Craving as a predictor of treatment outcomes in heavy drinkers with comorbid depressed mood. Addict Behav 2013; 38: 1585-92.
35. Karno M, Golding JM, Sorenson SB, Burnam MA. The epidemiology of obsessive-compulsive disorder in five US communities. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1988; 45: 1094-9.
36. Wolitzky-Taylor K, Bobova L, Zinbarg RE, Mineka S, Craske MG. Longitudinal investigation of the impact of anxiety and mood disorders in adolescence on subsequent substance use disorder onset and vice versa. Addict Behav 2012; 37: 982-5.
37. Preuss UW, Johann M, Fehr C, Koller G, Wodarz N, Hesselbrock V, et al Personality disorders in alcohol-dependent individuals: relationship with alcohol dependence severity. Eur Addict Res 2009; 15: 188-95.
39. Marquenie LA, Schade A, Van Balkom AJ, Comijs HC, De Graaf R, Vollebergh W, et al. Origin of the comorbidity of anxiety disorders and alcohol dependence: findings of a general population study. Eur Addict Res 2007; 13: 39-49.
40. Bulloch A, Lavorato D, Williams J, Patten S. Alcohol consumption and major depression in the general population: the critical importance of dependence. Depress Anxiety 2012; 29: 1058-64.
41. Staiger PK, Thomas AC, Ricciardelli LA, Mccabe MP. Identifying depression and anxiety disorders in people presenting for substance use treatment.\ Med J Aust 2011; 195: S60-3.
42. Burns L, Teesson M. Alcohol use disorders comorbid with anxiety, depression and drug use disorders: findings from the Australian National Survey of Mental Health and Well Being. Drug Alcohol Depend 2002; 68: 299-307.
43. Kushner MG, Abrams K, Thuras P, Hanson KL, Brekke M, Sletten S. Follow-up study of anxiety disorder and alcohol dependence in comorbid alcoholism treatment patients. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2005; 29: 1432-43.
44. Kessler RC, Mcgonagle KA, Zhao S, Nelson CB, Hughes M, Eshleman S, et al. Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States: results from the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1994; 51: 8-19.
45. Liang W, Chikritzhs T. Affective disorders, anxiety disorders and the risk of alcohol dependence and misuse. Br J Psychiatry 2011; 199: 219-24.
46. Ziherl S, Cebasek Travnik Z, Kores Plesnicar B, Tomori M, Zalar B. Trait aggression and hostility in recovered alcoholics. Eur Addict Res 2007; 13: 89-93.
47. Soloff PH, Lynch KG, Moss HB. Serotonin, impulsivity, and alcohol use disorders in the older adolescent: a psychobiological study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2000; 24: 1609-19.
48. Murdoch D, Pihl RO, Ross D. Alcohol and crimes of violence: present issues. Int J Addict 1990; 25: 1065-81.
49. Workman M, Beer J. Aggression, alcohol dependency, and selfconsciousness among high school students of divorced and nondivorced parents. Psychol Rep 1992; 71: 279-86.
50. Mccormick RA, Smith M. Aggression and hostility in substance abusers: the relationship to abuse patterns, coping style, and relapse triggers. Addict Behav 1995; 20: 555-62.
51. Moeller FG, Dougherty DM. Antisocial personality disorder, alcohol, and aggression. Alcohol Res Health 2001; 25: 5-11.
52. Chiang SS, Schuetz CG, Soyka M. Effects of irritability on craving before and after cue exposure in abstinent alcoholic inpatients: experimental data on subjective response and heart rate. Neuropsychobiology 2002; 46: 150-60.
53. Chachamovich E, Ding Y, Turecki G. Levels of aggressiveness are higher among alcohol-related suicides: results from a psychological autopsy study. Alcohol 2012; 46: 529-36.