Oleic acid has many beneficial effects on human health. One of the main dietary sources of oleic acid is olive oil. Non-Mediterranean European countries, including Serbia, have low habitual olive oil consumption, but other vegetable oils also contain different amounts of oleic acid. In infants and young children milk is the most important source of fatty acids, including oleic acid. Furthermore, fatty acid composition of plasma phospholipids reflects dietary intake and fatty acid metabolism. In patients with serious chronic diseases fatty acid status is altered independently on the intake. Here we reviewed status of oleic acid in healthy persons as well as in patients with different chronic diseases in Serbia.
1. Perez-Martinez P, Garcia-Rios A, Delgado-Lista J, Perez-Jimenez F, Lopez-Miranda J: Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil and obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitus. Curr Pharm Des 2011; 17(8):769-77.
3. Samieri C, Feart C, Proust-Lima C, Peuchant E, Tzourio C, Stapf C, Berr C, Barberger-Gateau P: Olive oil consumption, plasma oleic acid, and stroke incidence: The Three-City Study. Neurology 2011.
6. Araujo de Vizcarrondo C CdPF, Martin E: Fatty acid composition of beef, pork, and poultry fresh cuts, and some of their processed products. Arch Latinoam Nutr 1998; 48(3):354-8.
7. Sahin N, Akoh CC, Karaali A: Human milk fat substitutes containing omega-3 fatty acids. J Agric Food Chem 2006; 54(10):3717-22.
8. Rioux FM, Innis SM: Oleic acid (18:1) in plasma, liver and brain myelin lipid of piglets fed from birth with formulas differing in 18:1 content. J Nutr 1992; 122(7):1521-8.
10. Wu TC, Lau BH, Chen PH, Wu LT, Tang RB: Fatty acid composition of Taiwanese human milk. J Chin Med Assoc 2010; 73(11):581-8.
12. Yuhas R, Pramuk K, Lien EL: Human milk fatty acid composition from nine countries varies most in DHA. Lipids 2006; 41(9):851-8.
15. Katan MB, Deslypere JP, van Birgelen AP, Penders M, Zegwaard M: Kinetics of the incorporation of dietary fatty acids into serum cholesteryl esters, erythrocyte membranes, and adipose tissue: an 18-month controlled study. J Lipid Res 1997; 38(10):2012-22.
16. Popović T, Borozan, S., Arsić, A., Debeljak-Martačić, J., Vučić, V., de Luka, S., Milovanović, I., Trbović, A., Glibetić M: Effects of n-3 Supplementation on Plasma and Liver Phospholipid Fatty Acids Profile in Aged Wistar Rats Croatica Chemica Acta 2011; 84(1):73-9.
17. Arsic A, Vucic V, Prekajski N, Tepsic J, Ristic-Medic D, Velickovic V Glibetic M. Different fatty acid composition of serum phospholipids of small and appropriate for gestational age preterm infants and of milk from their mothers. Hippokratia 2012; 16(3): 230-35.
18. Cvetkovic Z, Vucic V, Cvetkovic B, Petrovic M, Ristic-Medic D, Tepsic J, Glibetic M: Abnormal fatty acid distribution of the serum phospholipids of patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ann Hematol 2010; 89(8): 775-82.
23. Petrovic S, Arsic A, Glibetic M, Cikiriz N, Jakovljevic V, Vucic V. The effects of polyphenol-rich chokeberry juice on fatty acid profiles and lipid peroxidation of active handball players: results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2016; 94(10): 1058-63.
24. Ristic-Medic D, Suzic S, Vucic V, Takic M, Tepsic J, Glibetic M: Serum and erythrocyte membrane phospholipids fatty acid composition in hyperlipidemia: effects of dietary intervention and combined diet and fibrate therapy. Gen Physiol Biophys 2009; 28 Spec No:190-9.
30. Lopez-Miranda J, Perez-Jimenez F, Ros E, De Caterina R, Badimon L, Covas MI, Escrich E, Ordovas JM, Soriguer F, Abia R et al: Olive oil and health: summary of the II international conference on olive oil and health consensus report, Jaen and Cordoba (Spain) 2008. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2010; 20(4):284-94.
31. Granados N, Amengual J, Ribot J, Palou A, Bonet ML: Distinct effects of oleic acid and its trans-isomer elaidic acid on the expression of myokines and adipokines in cell models. Br J Nutr 2011; 105(8):1226-34.
33. Lopez-Huertas E: Health effects of oleic acid and long chain omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) enriched milks. A review of intervention studies. Pharmacol Res 2010; 61(3):200-7.
34. Mensink RP, Zock PL, Kester AD, Katan MB: Effects of dietary fatty acids and carbohydrates on the ratio of serum total to HDL cholesterol and on serum lipids and apolipoproteins: a meta-analysis of 60 controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 77(5):1146-55.
35. Pedersen A, Baumstark MW, Marckmann P, Gylling H, Sandstrom B: An olive oil-rich diet results in higher concentrations of LDL cholesterol and a higher number of LDL subfraction particles than rapeseed oil and sunflower oil diets. J Lipid Res 2000; 41(12):1901-11.
36. Saadatian-Elahi M, Slimani N, Chajes V, Jenab M, Goudable J, Biessy C, Ferrari P, Byrnes G, Autier P, Peeters PH et al: Plasma phospholipid fatty acid profiles and their association with food intakes: results from a cross-sectional study within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 89(1):331-46.
40. Escrich E, Moral R, Grau L, Costa I, Solanas M: Molecular mechanisms of the effects of olive oil and other dietary lipids on cancer. Mol Nutr Food Res 2007; 51(10):1279-92.
42. Menendez JA, Papadimitropoulou A, Vellon L, Lupu R: A genomic explanation connecting “Mediterranean diet”, olive oil and cancer: oleic acid, the main monounsaturated fatty acid of olive oil, induces formation of inhibitory “PEA3 transcription factor-PEA3 DNA binding site” complexes at the Her-2/neu (erbB-2) oncogene promoter in breast, ovarian and stomach cancer cells. Eur J Cancer 2006; 42(15):2425-32.
43. Stojanović A, Zeković M, Rašić-Milutinović Z, Ristić- Medić D, Pokimica, Debeljak-Martačić J, Vučić Vesna: Dietary intake in newly diagnosed lung cancer patients. Srp arh celok lek, 2017; doi.org/10.2298/SARH170301115S
46. Lichtenstein AH, Appel LJ, Brands M, Carnethon M, Daniels S, Franch HA, Franklin B, Kris-Etherton P, Harris WS, Howard B et al: Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee. Circulation 2006; 114(1):82-96.
50. Fidler N, Sauerwald T, Pohl A, Demmelmair H, Koletzko B: Docosahexaenoic acid transfer into human milk after dietary supplementation: a randomized clinical trial. J Lipid Res 200; 41(9):1376-83.
51. Jensen RG, Lammi-Keefe CJ, Henderson RA, Bush VJ, Ferris AM: Effect of dietary intake of n-6 and n-3 fatty acids on the fatty acid composition of human milk in North America. J Pediatr 1992; 120(4 Pt 2):S87-92.