The term “nevi of special sites” refers to melanocytic nevi of specific anatomic locations including the breast, axillae, umbilicus, genitalia, flexural areas, acral surfaces, ear, scalp and the conjunctiva. Nevi from these anatomic sites display sometimes dermoscopic and histological features of melanoma, resulting in unnecessarily high rates of excisions and re-excisions. Some authors have categorized nevi excised in the axillary, breast, umbilical and perineal areas as the nevi of the milk line. Two patients, a 32-year-old female and 23-year-old male with breast and periumbilical pigmented lesions, presented to our Department during 2017. Dermoscopy revealed features that were highly specific for melanoma. Excisional biopsies were done and histopathology revealed benign nevi with present site-related atypia. Irregular blotches, non-uniform radial streaks, blue-gray veil, and regression are the most specific features of melanoma of the breast and flexural areas. Excision is always recommended in pigmented lesions on the breast and flexural areas, which exhibit these features. However, larger studies are needed to define specific criteria required to distinguish special-site nevi from melanoma.
1. Mason AR, Mohr MR, Koch LH, Hood AF. Nevi of special sites. Clin Lab Med. 2011;31(2):229-42.
2. Rongioletti F, Urso C, Batolo D, Chimenti S, Fanti PA, Filotico R, et al. Melanocytic nevi of the breast: a histologic case-control study. J Cutan Pathol. 2004;31(2):137-40.
3. Merkel EA, Martini MC, Amin SM, Lee CY, Gerami P. Evaluation of dermoscopic features for distinguishing melanoma from special site nevi of the breast. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;75(2):364-70.
4. Rongioletti F, Ball RA, Marcus R, Barnhill RL. Histopathological features of flexural melanocytic nevi: a study of 40 cases. J Cutan Pathol. 2000;27(5):215-7.
5. Nicolau AA, Aschie M. Morphologic and immunohistochemical features of breast nevi. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2013;54(2);371-5.
6. Dutt R, Rabinovitz, Singh R, Scope A. Dermoscopic and confocal features of an axillary “special site” nevus. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2017;7(1):55-8.
7. Massi G, LeBoitt PE. Nevi on special sites and nevi in pregnancy. In: Massi G, LeBoitt PE, editors. Histological diagnosis of nevi and melanoma. 2nd ed. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag; 2014. p. 339-54.
9. Argenziano G, Soyer HP, Chimenti S, Talamini R, Corona R, Sera F, et al. Dermoscopy of pigmented skin lesions: results of a consensus meeting via the internet. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003;48(5):679-93.
10. Annessi G, Bono R, Sampogna F, Faraggiana T, Abeni D. Sensitivity, specificity, and diagnostic accuracy of three dermoscopic algorithmic methods in the diagnosis of doubtful melanocytic lesions. The importance of light brown structureless areas in differentiating atypical melanocytic nevi from thin melanomas. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007;56(5):759-67.