This topic reflects the behavioral characteristics and the measurement of first class air travel worldwide. Airlines in the East are pushing the boundaries and investing heavily on their first class cabins and potentially competes for their premium passenger. On the other hand, first class market in the western part of the world has been disappearing for decades and rather replaced with improved business class cabins. The worldwide shock of most recent economic crisis had a downward impact on the premium air travel and the post economic impacts were followed by some carriers cutting their first class capacity. The purpose of this research is to highlight whether first class make sense for the airlines to retain? This study is carried out with the research that some airlines have specifically targeted their routes that can fill expensive first class seats, and these were reflected by the strong presence of global business centers whereas others were diminishing due to less lucrative demand. This research will also show the complexity of airline hard product around the world and how they encounter to retain their premium passenger.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Air India to remove First Class cabin from B777 long range planes. Economic times Available at http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/air-india-to-removefirst-class-cabin-from-b777-long-range-planes/articleshow/50613580.cms January 17 2016.
2. Bhaskara V. Does International First Class Have a Future? Airways magazine Available at https://airwaysmag.com/industry/does-international-first-class-have-a-future/ February 05 2016.
3. Beaverstock J. V. Derudder B. Faulconbridge J. & F. Witlox. International business travels in the global economy Ashgate publishing Ltd. 2012.
4. Cervera-Taulet A. Schlesinger M. W. & M. J. Yagüe-Guillen. Influence of advertising on brand personality in the airline sector – The case of Spain Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing July 17 2013.
5. Cornwell A. Qatar Airways almost entirely ending first class seats Gulf News Aviation Available at http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/qatar-airways-almost-entirely-ending-first-class-seats-1.1328985 May 6 2014.
6. Chung-Wei Kuo & J. Rong-Chang. Willingness to pay for airlines’ premium economy class - The perspective of passengers Journal of Air transport Management 59 March 2017 pp. 134-142.
7. Doganis R. Flying off Course IV: Airline Economics and Marketing Business and Economics Routledge 2009.
8. Etihad Residence highlights the UAE airline ascension in first class travel while others cut back. Available at https://centreforaviation.com/insights/analysis/etihad-residence-highlights-the-uae-airlineascension-in-first-class-travel-while-others-cut-back-167636 May 17 2014.
9. Hanlon J. P. Global airlines: competition in a transnational industry Business and Economics Routledge 2007.
10. IATA Premium traffic monitors. Available at http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/Documents/economics/premium-monitor-dec15.pdf December 2015.
11. Kitching C. Airlines add first class seats as flying enters new age of luxury Daily mail Available at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2853969/From-sleeping-compartments-12-500-apartment-sky-Airlines-add-class-seats-flying-enters-new-age-luxury.html November 29 2014
12. Michaels D. Airlines Escalate Race in Lie-Flat Seating The Wall Street Journal Available at http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204276304577263403053555834 March 8 2012.
13. Michaels D. Clemes Ch. Gan Tzu-Hui Kao & M. Choong. An empirical analysis of customer satisfaction in international air travel Journal of Innovative Marketing 4 2 January 2008.
14. Newcombe T. Gulf carriers see ‘staggering’ rise in business and first class traffic Buying Business Travel Available at https://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/0226041-gulf-carriers-see-%E2%80%98staggering%E2%80%99-rise-business-and-first-class-traffic August 2 2016.
15. Nicas J. The long slow death of first class The Wall Street Journal Available at http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444097904577535280680475986 July 19 2012.
16. Qubein R. Airlines Extravagant First class amenities reserved for wealthy elite Fortune Available at http://fortune.com/2015/11/19/airlines-extravagant-first-class-amenities-reserved-forwealthy-elite/ November 20 2015.
17. Ruchi G. & N. Dhanisha. Impact of Global Economic Crisis on Airline Industry International Journal of Commerce Business and Management (IJCBM) 3 2 April 2 2014.
18. Tadros R. Emirates brand value grows 17% to reach UD$ 7.7 billion Emirates Available at https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-brand-value-grows-17-to-reach-us77-billion February 2 2016.
19. Wensveen J. G. W. Air transportation: A management perspective Transportation Ashgate 2007.
20. Weiss R. Lufthansa to shrink first class capacity Flight Global Available at: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/lufthansa-to-shrink-first-class-capacity-with-a350-423771/ April 1 2016.
21. Young-joo A. Insin K. & S. H. Sunghyup. Critical in-flight and ground-service factors influencing brand prestige and relationships between brand prestige well-being perceptions and brand loyalty - First-class passengers Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing 32 May 6 2015.