The Language Centre (LC) as an integral part of the South East European University (SEEU) implements a number of well-established, institution wide quality procedures which are intended to have a positive impact on the standards of learning and teaching. These include: Teaching Observation Procedure, an annual Student Evaluation Survey, a performance management process for staff linked to professional development and an LC cycle of strategic planning, linked both to internal and LC Specific external evaluation. In developing these procedures, the University and Centre has drawn on international quality assurance guidelines, trends and good practice in order to develop effective approaches to quality within a specific educational and national context. The purpose of this paper is to evaluate what changes these procedures have made, both at individual teacher and LC level, how far institutional -wide processes have been applicable and valuable to the LC and whether there has been an impact on LC staff in their awareness and/or commitment to quality enhancement. Our conclusions will be drawn from an evaluation of these procedures, a comparison of LC data over a period of time and an investigation into Centre staff perceptions. We hope that the results of these findings will contribute to a greater understanding of the value of quality assurance procedures for Language Centers as well as to identifying what makes such processes successful
1. Crabbe, David, (2003). The Quality of Language Learning Opportunities. TESOL University of Wellington, New Zealand. Retrieved on August 19, 2013 from http://www.jxteacher.com/userfiles/benjamin/files/The%20Quality%20of%20Language%20Learning%20Opportunities.pdf
2. Andree Sursock, (2011). EUA Publications 2011. Processes and Tools - Participation, Ownership and Bureaucracy. Examining Quality Culture, Part 2. Retrieved on August 19, 2013 from http://www.eua.be/pubs/Examining_Quality_Culture_Part_II.pdf
3. European Association for Quality Association. Standards and Guidelines of Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area, Helsinki, 2005. Retrieved on August 19, 2013 from http://www.enqa.eu/files/ESG_3edition%20(2).pdf
4. Fry Heather, Ketteridge Steve and Marshall Stephanie. (Eds.) (2003). A Handbook for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Routledge. New York and London.
5. Kareva Veronika. The Influence of Classroom Communication on Student Commitment to University. South East European University dissertation. (2011) Available from firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Marshal Stephanie (Ed.) (2008). Strategic Leadership of Challenge in Higher Education. Routledge. New York. Munn Bob. Conversational, not confrontational. (pp. 31 - 41).
8. Ryegard Asa, Apelgren Karin and Ollson Thomas. (2010) A Swedish Perspective on Pedagogical Competence. Uppsala University. Retrieved on Aug. 19, 2013 from http://www.dun-net.dk/media/105390/46-47_dut-11_web-7.pdf
9. Kember, David and McNaught, Carmel. (2007). Enhancing University Teaching. Routledge. London and New York.
10. Nacionalna programa za razvoj na obrazovanieto vo Republika Makedonija 2005-2015. Ministerstvo za obrazovanie I nauka na RM. Prevzemeno na 19.08.2013 od, http://www.npro.edu.mk/dokumenti/strategija-mk.pdf
11. "Makedonija vo brojki, 2010, str. Drzaven zavod za statistika. Prevzemeno na 19.08.2013 od, http://www.stat.gov.mk/Publikacii/MakBrojki2010web_mac.pdf
12. CILT. The National Center for Languages. Quality in language learning - a European view. Retrieved on Aug. 19, 2013 from http://www.cilt.org.uk/further_and_adult_education/research_and_statistics/quality_in_language_learning.aspx
13. Ramsden, Paul. (2008). Learning to Teach in Higher Education. Routledge. London and New York.
14. Vettori Oliver, (2012). From self-reflection to enhancement. EUA Publications. EUA. Retrievable from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eua.be%2FLibraries%2FPublications_homepage_list2FExamining_Quality_Culture_EQC_Part_III.sflb.ashx&ei=mgESUsGKIeTc4QSCh4D4BQ&usg=AFQjCNEsexQgTXTqMiA5UE-jaXDnqB9KhQ&sig2=D4t0QGDeUKzY_iIFaEBb8w&bvm=bv.50768961,d.Yms