Determination of Apixaban Levels in Human Plasma by a High-Throughput Liquid Chromatographic Tandem Mass Spectrometry Assay / Determinarea rapidă a apixabanului în plasma umană prin cromatografie de lichide de înaltă performanță cuplată cu spectrometrie de masă în tandem
A high-throughput liquid chromatography method with detection by tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) was developed and validated for the quantification of apixaban in human plasma. The separation was performed on a Gemini-NX column under isocratic conditions using a 33:67 (v/v) mixture of acetonitrile and 1 mM ammonium formate in water at 40 ºC with a flow rate of 0.5 mL/min. The detection of apixaban was performed in multiple reaction monitoring mode (m/z 417.2 from m/z 460.2) with electrospray positive ionization. A single-step protein precipitation with methanol was used for plasma sample preparation. The method was validated with respect to selectivity, linearity (r > 0.994), intra-day and inter-day precision (CV < 14.4 %) and accuracy (bias < 9.5 %) over the range of 9.70 - 970.00 ng/mL plasma. The lower limit of quantification (LLOQ) was 9.70 ng/mL and the recovery was between 97.4 - 104.5 %. The method is fast, efficient, requires the processing of a small volume of plasma (50 μL), a short run-time (1 min) for chromatographic analysis, and a simple and rapid preparation of samples. It is very well suited for clinical therapeutic drug monitoring and pharmacokinetic studies.
1. Nutescu E. Apixaban: a novel oral inhibitor of factor Xa. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2012;69(13):1113-26. DOI: 10.2146/ajhp110418
2. Scaglione F. New oral anticoagulants: comparative pharmacology with vitamin K antagonists. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2013;52(2):69-82. DOI: 10.1007/s40262-012-0030-9
3. European Medicine Agency, Eliquis: Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at http://www.ema.\europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/002148/WC500107728.pdf. Accessed October 23rd, 2014.
4. Agnelli G, Buller HR, Cohen A, Curto M, Gallus AS, Johnson M et al. Oral apixaban for the treatment of acute venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med. 2013 Aug 29;369(9):799-808. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1302507
5. Cheng JW, Barillari G. Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants in cardiovascular disease management: evidence and unanswered questions. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2014;39(2):118-35. DOI: 10.1111/jcpt.12122
6. Bruins Slot KM, Berge E. Factor Xa inhibitors versus vitamin K antagonists for preventing cerebral or systemic embolism in patients with atrial fibrillation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Aug 8;8:CD008980. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008980.pub2
7. Bauer KA. Pros and cons of new oral anticoagulants. Management of Thromboembolic Disease. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2013;2013:464-70. DOI: 10.1182/asheducation-2013.1.464
8. Levy JH, Faraoni D, Spring JL, Douketis JD, Samama CM. Managing New Oral Anticoagulants in the Perioperative and Intensive Care Unit Setting. Anesthesiology. 2013 Jun;118(6):1466-74. DOI: 10.1097/ ALN.0b013e318289bcba
9. Gogarten W, Vandermeulen E, Van Aken H, Kozek S, Llau JV, Samama CM. Regional anesthesia and antithrombotic agents: recommendations of the European society of Anaesthesiology. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2010 Dec;27(12):999-1015. DOI: 10.1097/ EJA.0b013e32833f6f6f
10. Frost C, Wang J, Nepal S, Schuster A, Barrett YC, Mosqueda-Garcia R, et al. Apixaban, an oral, direct factor Xa inhibitor: single dose safety, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and food effect in healthy subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Feb;75(2):476-87. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2012.04369.x
11. Bauer KA. Pros and cons of new oral anticoagulants. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2013;2013:464-70. DOI: 10.1182/asheducation-2013.1.464
12. Brieger D. Anticoagulation: a GP primer on the new oral anticoagulants. Aust Fam Physician. 2014;43(5):254-9.
13. Douxfils J, Chatelain C, Chatelain B, Dogné JM, Mullier F. Impact of apixaban on routine and specific coagulation assays: a practical laboratory guide. [Abstract] Thromb Haemost. 2013;110(2):283-94. DOI: 10.1160/ TH12-12-0898
14. Vílchez JA, Gallego P, Lip GYH. Safety of new oral anticoagulant drugs: a perspective. Ther Adv Drug Saf 2014;5(1):8-20. DOI: 10.1177/2042098613507945
15. Pernod G, Albaladejo P, Godier A, Samama CM, Susen S, Gruel Y, et al. Management of major bleeding complications and emergency surgery in patients on longterm treatment with direct oral anticoagulants, thrombin or factor-Xa inhibitors: proposals of the working group on perioperative haemostasis (GIHP) - March 2013. Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2013;106(6-7):382-93. DOI: 10.1016/j.acvd.2013.04.009
16. Dincq AS, Lessire S, Douxfils J, Dogné JM, Gourdin M, Mullier F. Management of Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants in the Perioperative Setting. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:385014. DOI: 10.1155/2014/385014
17. Eby C. Novel anticoagulants and laboratory testing. Int J Lab Hematol. 2013 Jun;35(3):262-8. DOI: 10.1111/ ijlh.12065
18. Gous T, Couchman L, Patel JP, Paradzai C, Arya R, Flanagan RJ. Measurement of the direct oral anticoagulants apixaban, dabigatran, edoxaban, and rivaroxaban in human plasma using turbulent flow liquid chromatography with high-resolution mass spectrometry. Ther Drug Monit. 2014 Oct;36(5):597-605. DOI: 10.1097/ FTD.0000000000000059
19. Korostelev M, Bihan K, Ferreol L, Tissot N, Hulot JS, Funck-Brentano C, et al. Simultaneous determination of rivaroxaban and dabigatran levels in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2014 Nov;100:230-5. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2014.08.011
20. Schmitz EM, Boonen K, van den Heuvel DJ, van Dongen JL, Schellings MW, Emmen JM, et al. Determination of dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban by ultra- performance liquid chromatography - tandem mass spectrometry (UPLC-MS/MS) and coagulation assays for therapy monitoring of novel direct oral anticoagulants. J Thromb Haemost. 2014 Oct;12(10):1636-46. DOI: 10.1111/jth.12702
21. Raghavan N, Frost CE, Yu Z, He K, Zhang H, Humphreys WG, et al. Apixaban metabolism and pharmacokinetics after oral administration to humans. Drug Metab Dispos. 2009 Jan;37(1):74-81. DOI: 10.1124/ dmd.108.023143
22. Frost C, Nepal S, Wang J, Schuster A, Byon W, Boyd RA, et al. Safety, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of multiple oral doses of apixaban, a factor Xa inhibitor, in healthy subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Nov;76(5):776-86. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.12106
23. Cui Y, Song Y, Wang J, Yu Z, Schuster A, Barrett YC, et al. Single- and multiple-dose pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and safety of apixaban in healthy Chinese subjects. Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Dec 6;5:177-84. DOI: 10.2147/CPAA.S51981
24. Delavenne X, Mismetti P, Basset T. Rapid determination of apixaban concentration in human plasma by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry: application to pharmacokinetic study. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2013 May 5;78-79:150-3. DOI: 10.1016/j. jpba.2013.02.007
25. Upreti VV, Wang J, Barrett YC, Byon W, Boyd RA, Pursley J, et al. Effect of extremes of body weight on the pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, safety and tolerability of apixaban in healthy subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Dec;76(6):908-16. DOI: 10.1111/ bcp.12114
26. Wang X, Mondal S, Wang J, Tirucherai G, Zhang D, Boyd RA, et al. Effect of activated charcoal on apixaban pharmacokinetics in healthy subjects. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2014 Apr;14(2):147-54. DOI: 10.1007/ s40256-013-0055-y
27. Gouin-Thibault I, Flaujac C, Delavenne X, Quenet S, Horellou MH, Laporte S, et al. Assessment of apixaban plasma levels by laboratory tests: suitability of three anti-Xa assays. A multicentre French GEHT study. Thromb Haemost. 2014 Feb;111(2):240-8. DOI: 10.1160/TH13-06-0470
28. Guidance for Industry, Bioanalytical Method Validation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Federal Register. 2001;66.
29. Guidance on the Investigation of Bioavailability and Bioequivalence. The European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products, Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products. 2001; CPMP/EWP/QWP/1401/98.
30. Imre S, Vlase L, Muntean DL. Bioanalytical method validation. Rev Romana Med Lab. 2008;10(1):13-21.
31. Guideline on bioanalytical method validation. European Medicines Agency. Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP). 275542 / 2014. http:// www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2011/08/WC500109686.pdf
32. Guidance for Industry. Bioanalytical Method Validation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Food and Drug Administration. Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM). September 2013 http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidances/ucm368107.pdf