The goal of this study, part of the PERSOTHER project, is the implementation a new ancillary technique - fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) - in Burkitt lymphoma (BL) diagnosis, for the first time in our country. BL is a B-cell lymphoma with a highly aggressive clinical course. Three clinical variants of BL are recognized: endemic BL (in equatorial Africa), sporadic (throughout the world) and immunodeficiency-associated BL. The 2008 World Health Organization (WHO) Classification described a new category of B-cell lymphoma, unclassifiable, with intermediate features between diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) and BL. Because the treatment of BL is very aggressive, with high doses chemotherapy, an accurate diagnosis is required. Cytology, morphology and immunophenotype (CD20+, CD10+, BCL6+, BCL2-, Ki67 98-100%) are typical for BL. Most of the cases have MYC translocation at band 8q24 to the IgH region, 14q32. The demonstration of MYC translocation is necessary for BL diagnosis and differential with DLBCL and borderline cases. 22 cases of BL were evaluated by FISH for MYC translocation. 17 cases were positive, one case was negative and 4 cases were inconclusive. The results are concordant with the literature: the authors report about 10% MYC negative cases. In this cases micro-RNA (MiRNA-s) alterations may be implicated. The present study highlights the importance of FISH in BL diagnosis. It also identifies some of the technical difficulties of this method and it represents a basis for future routine diagnosis of selected BL cases.
1. Leoncini L, Raphael M, Stein H, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Kluin PM. Burkitt Lymphoma. Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, et al. World Health Organisation Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. 4th ed. IARC Lyon. 2008: 262-264.
3. Dang CV, O'Donnell KA, Zeller KI, Nguyen T, Osthus RC, Li F. The c-Myc target gene network. Semin Cancer Biol. 2006 Aug;16(4):253-64.
4. Delsol G. Molecular abnormalities in lymphomas. Bull Cancer. 2010 Nov;97(11):1347-64.
5. Roberti A, Rizzolio F, Lucchetti C, de Leval L, Giordano A, Ubiquitin-mediated protein degradation and methylation-induced gene silencing cooperate in the inactivation of the INK4/ARF locus in Burkitt lymphoma cell lines. Cell Cycle. 2011 Jan 1;10(1):127-34.
6. Reichard KK, Hall BK, Corn A, Foucar MK, Hozier J. Automated analysis of fluorescence in situ hybridization on fixed, paraffin-embedded whole tissue sections in Bcell lymphoma Mod Pathol. 2006 Aug;19(8):1027-33.
7. Love C, Sun Z, Jima D, Li G, Zhang J, Miles R, et al. The genetic landscape of mutations in Burkitt lymphoma. Nat Genet. 2012 Dec;44(12):1321-5.
8. Onnis A, De Falco G, Antonicelli G, Onorati M, Bellan C, Sherman O, et al Alteration of microRNAs regulated by c-Myc in Burkitt lymphoma. PLoS One. 2010 Sep 24;5(9).
9. Leucci E, Cocco M, Onnis A, De Falco G, van Cleef P, Bellan C, et al. MYC translocation-negative classical Burkitt lymphoma cases: an alternative pathogenetic mechanism involving miRNA J Pathol. 2008 Dec;216(4):440-50.
10. Onnis A, Navari M, Antonicelli G, Morettini F, Mannucci S, De Falco G, et al. Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen 1 induces expression of the cellular microRNA hsa-miR-127 and impairing B-cell differentiation in EBV-infected memory B cells. New insights into the pathogenesis of Burkitt lymphoma. Blood Cancer J. 2012 Aug 31;2:e84.
11. Dobrea C, Al Salamat H , Lupu AR. Diffuse large Bcell lymphoma - a new look and old prognostic factors. Rev Rom Med Lab, 2012 Dec 20(4): 307-315.
12. Snuderl M, Kolman OK, Chen Y-B, Hsu JJ, Ackerman AM, Dal Cin P, et al. B-cell lymphomas with concurrent IGH-BCL2 and MYC rearrangements are aggressive neoplasms with clinical and pathologic features distinct from Burkitt lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010 Mar;34(3):327-40.
13. Naresh KN, Ibrahim HA, Lazzi S, Rince P, Onorati M, Ambrosio MR, et al. Diagnosis of Burkitt lymphoma using an algorithmic approach - applicable in both resource- poor and resource-rich countries. Br J Haematol. 2011 Jul 1. 154:770-776.
14. Aukema SM, Siebert R, Schuuring E, van Imhoff GW, Kluin-Nelemans HC, Boerma EJ, et al. Double-hit Bcell lymphomas. Blood. 2011 Feb 24;117(8):2319-31.
15. Campo E, Swerdlow SH, Harris NL, Pileri S, Stein H, Jaffe ES. The 2008 WHO classification of lymphoid neoplasms and beyond: evolving concepts and practical applications. Blood. 2011 May 12;117(19):5019-32.