Objective: The objectives of this study were: determination of serum hepcidin levels in patients with Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) with/without anemia and controls, and its correlation with disease activity and anemia parameters. Patients and Methods: 69 people were involved in our study: 54 patients and 15 healthy subjects (controls). Laboratory evaluation of anemia, iron parameters, serum hepcidin levels and disease activity was carried out. RA patients were divided in two groups: anemic group and non-anemic group (NA), according to hemoglobin levels (Hb). Soluble transferrin receptor-ferritin index (sTfR-F index) was used to classify anemia types: anemia of chronic disease (ACD) and anemia of chronic disease + iron deficiency anemia (ACD+IDA). Disease activity was evaluated using the following parameters: erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), C-reactive protein (CPR), and disease activity score (DAS28). Results: ACD and ACD+IDA groups had significantly higher serum hepcidin concentrations than controls (p<0.001, p<0.001), and NA group (p=0.006, p=0.002). No difference in hepcidin levels was observed between ACD and ADC+IDA groups (p=0.85) and between NA and controls (p=0.66). ESR was significantly higher in ACD and ACD+IDA groups compared with NA group (p<0.001, p=0.002) and controls. (p<0.001, p<0.001).DAS 28 score was higher in anemic groups than NA group (ACD vs. NA, p=0.01), (ACD+IDA vs. NA, p=0.01) and no difference was observed between ACD and ACD+IDA In RA patients serum hepcidin concentration was significantly negatively correlated with hemoglobin (Hb) (r= -0.459, p<0.000) and serum iron( r=-0.357, p<0.01) and positively with disease activity variables: ESR (r=0.352, p<0.01) , CRP (r=0.369, p<0.01), DAS28 score (r=0.289, p<0.05). Conclusion: Hepcidin increases in RA patients with anemia and its levels correlate with Hb, serum iron, and disease activity variables.
1. Wilson A, Yu HT, Goodnough LT, Nissenson AR. Prevalence and outcomes of anemia in rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review of the literature. Am J Med. 2004; 116 (Suppl 7A):50S-7S
2. Skikne B S, Punnonen K, Caldron P.H, Bennett M.T, Rehu M, Gasior G.H.et al. Improved differential diagnosis of anemia of chronic disease and iron deficiency anemia: A prospective multicenter evaluation of soluble transferrin receptor and the sTfR/log ferritin index Am J Hematol.2011;86 (11):923-27.
3. Weiss G, Goodnough LT. Anemia of chronic disease. N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1011-23
4. Bloxham E, Vagadia V, Scott K, Francis G, Saravanan V, Heycocket C, et al. Anemia in rheumatoid arthritis: can we afford to ignore it? Postgrad Med J. 2001; 87: 596-600.
5. Zhang X , Rovin BH, Biol Chem Beyond anemia:hepcidin, monocytes and inflammation.2013 ; 394(2):231-8.
6. Piperno A, Mariani R, Trombini P , Girelli D. Hepcidin modulation in human diseases: From research to clinic World J Gastroenterol.2009 ;15(5): 538-551.
7. Swinkels DW, J F M Wetzel Hepcidin: a new tool in the management of anemia in patients with chronic kidney disease? Clinical Chem . 2002, ; 48(7):1066-76.
8. Kemna EHJM, Tjalsma H, Podust NV, Swinkels DW. Mass spectrometry-based hepcidin measurements in serum and urine: analytical aspects and clinical implications. Clin Chem. 2007; 53: 620-8.
9. Ganz T Hepcidin--a regulator of intestinal iron absorption and iron recycling by macrophages. Best Practice & Research Clinical Haematology. 2005, 18(2):171-182.
10. Nicolas G, Chauvet C, Viatte L, Danan JL, Bigard X, Devaux I, et al. The gene encoding the iron regulatory peptide hepcidin is regulated by anemia, hypoxia, and inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2002 ; 110 : 1037-44.
11. Wrighting D M, Andrews N C. Interleukin-6 induces hepcidin expression through STAT3.Blood , 2006; 108 ( 9).3204-9.
12. Nemeth E, Valore EV, Territo M, Schiller G, Lichtenstein A, Ganz T, et al. Hepcidin, a putative mediator of anemia of inflammation, is a type II acute-phase protein. Blood 2003; 101 : 2461-3.
13. Tomas Ganz. Hepcidin, a key regulator of iron metabolism and mediator of anemia of inflammation Blood . 2003 102 (3) 783-788.
14. Patiu M, Lazlo G Review Iron metabolism disorder exploration .Classical and modern .Studia Universitatis Babes-Bolyai.Biologia.2007.LII.2:83-92.
15. Hebbar A Kesh, Gibson M V.Patient Care. Nov 2006:36-37 www.patientcareonline.
16. Arnett FC, Edworthy SM, Bloch DA, McShane DJ, Fries JF, Cooper NS, et al. The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum.1988; 31 : 315-24.
17. Report of a WHO Scientific Group. Nutritional Anemias. World Health Organization, Geneva, 1968
18. Rimon E, Levy S, Sapir A. Diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia in elderly by transferrin receptor- ferritin index. Arch Intern Med. 2002 ; 162 : 445-9.
19. Choi CW, Cho W R, Park K H, Choi I K , Seo J H, Kim B S et all The cutoff value of serum ferritin for the diagnosis of iron deficiency in community-residing older persons. Annals of Hematology 2005; 84(6): 358-61.
20. Thomas L, Thomas C. Anemia in iron deficiency and disorders of iron metabolism. Deutsch Med Wochenschr.2002; 127 : 1591-4.
21. Margetic S, Topic E, Ruzic DF, Kvaternik M, et al. Soluble transferring receptor and transferrin receptor-ferritin index in iron deficiency anemia and anemia in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Chem Lab Med.2005 ; 43: 326-31.
22. Kogan A, Filatov V, Gusev N, Bereznikova A, Kolosova O, Katrukha A, et al. Immunological study of complex formation between soluble transferrin receptor and transferring. Am J Hematol.2005 ; 79 : 281-7.
23. Shilpa J, Shashi N, Jagdish C, Sunita S, Sonal J, Priya M, et al. Evaluation of serum transferrin receptor and sTfR ferritin indices in diagnosing and differentiating iron deficiency anemia from anemia of chronic disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2010 ; 77 : 179-83
24. Goyal R, Das R, Bambery P, Garewal G. Serum transferrin receptor ferritin index shows concomitant iron deficiency anemia and anemia of chronic disease is common in patients with rheumatoid arthritis in north India. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2008; 51(1) : 102-4.
25. Yamanishi H, Iyama S, Yamaguchi Y, Kanakura Y, Iwatani Y. Total iron binding capacity calculated from serum transferrin concentration or serum iron concentration and unsaturated iron binding capacity. Clin Chem. 2003; 49 : 175-8.
26. Thomas C, Thomas L. Biochemical markers and hematologic indices in the diagnosis of functional iron deficiency. Clin Chem. 2002 ;48: 1066-76.
27. Prevoo ML, van't Hof MA, Kuper HH, van Leeuwen MA, van de Putte LN, van Riel PL. Modified disease activity scores that include twenty-eight-joint counts. Development and validation in a prospective longitudinal study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis &Rheum. 1995; 38 : 44-8.
28. Krause A, Neitz S, Magert HJ, Schulz A, Forssmann WG, Schulz-Knappe P, et al. LEAP-1, a novel highly disulfide- bonded human peptide, exhibits antimicrobial activity. FEBS Lett. 2000; 480: 147-50.
29. Park CH, Valore EV, Waring AJ, Ganz T. Hepcidin, a urinary antimicrobial peptide synthesized in the liver. J Biol Chem. 2001; 276: 7806-10.
30. Nicolas G, Bennoun M, Devaux I, Beaumont C, Grandchamp B, Kahn A. Lack of hepcidin gene expression and severe tissue iron overload in upstream stimulatory factor 2 (USF2) knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2001; 98: 8780-5.
31. Koca SS, Isik A, Ustundag B, Metin K, Aksoy K. Serum pro-hepcidin levels in rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Inflammation 2008; 31: 146-53.
32. Kim HR, Kim KW,Yoon SJ, Kim SH, Lee SH. Serum pro-hepcidin could reflect disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Korean Med Sci. 2010; 25 : 348-52
33. Dallalio G, Fleury T, Means Jr RT. Serum hepcidin in clinical specimens. Br J Haematol. 2003;122: 996-1000.
34. Roe MA, Collings R, Dainty JR, Swinkels DW, Fair- weather-Tait SJ. Plasma hepcidin concentrations significantly predict interindividual variation in iron absorption in healthy men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 1088-91.
35. Deicher R, , HÖrl W H. Hepcidin: a molecular link between inflammation and anemia. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004 Mar; 19 (3):521-4.
36. Cheng P P, Jiao X-Y, , Wang X-h, Lin J h, Cai Ying-m Hepcidin expression in anemia of chronic disease and concomitant iron-deficiency anemia Clinical and Experimental Medicine. 2010; 11(1):33-42.
37. van Santen S, van Dongen-Lases EC, de Vegt F, Laarakkers CMM, van Riel PLCM, van Ede AE, et al. Hepcidin and hemoglobin content parameters in the diagnosis of iron deficiency in rheumatoid arthritis patients with anemia. Arthritis & Rheum. 2011;63: 3672-80.
38. Kroot JJC, Kemna EHJM, Bansal SS, Busbridge M, Campostrini N, Girelli D, et al. Results of the first international round robin for the quantification of urinary and plasma hepcidin assays: need for standardization. Haematologica 2009;94: 1748-52.
39. Ganz T, Olbina G, Girelli D, Nemeth E, Westerman M. Immunoassay for human serum hepcidin. Blood 2008; 112 :4292-7.
40. Ganz T, Nemeth E. Hepcidin and disordersof iron metabolism. Annu Rev Med. 2011; 62 :347-60.