Posttraumatic cerebral infarction is an uncommon cause of morbidity and mortality and many studies have highlighted that trauma needs to considered as causative factor for cerebellar infarction. We present a case of cerebellar infarction in a 35 year old young patient secondary to vertebral fracture involving the vertebral foramen and vertebral artery injury. CT scan cervical spine showed C2-3 fracture on left side with fracture extending into the left vertebral foramen. A CT scan angiogram could not be performed because of poor neurological status. Possibly the infarction was due to left vertebral artery injury. Without surgical intervention prognosis of these patients remain poor. Prognosis of patients with traumatic cerebellar infarction depends on the neurological status of the patient, intrinsic parenchymal damage and more importantly extrinsic compression of the brainstem by the edematous cerebellar hemispheres.
1. Behzadnia H, Emamhadi M-R, Yousefzadeh-Chabok S, Alijani B. Posttraumatic Cerebellar Infarction in a 2-yearold Child. Caspian Journal of Neurological Sciences 2015;1:49-54.
2. Agrawal A, Kakani A. Cerebellar infarction after head injury. Journal of emergencies, trauma, and shock 2010;3:207-209.
3. Nichelli P, Gibertoni M, Guerzoni C. Delayed cerebellar infarction following a car accident. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1983;14:617-619.
4. Taniura S, Okamoto H. Traumatic cerebellar infarction. The Journal of trauma 2008;64:1674.
5. Tyagi AK, Kirollos RW, Marks PV. Posttraumatic cerebellar infarction. British journal of neurosurgery 1995;9:683-686.
6. Barinagarrementeria F, Amaya LE, Cantú C. Causes and mechanisms of cerebellar infarction in young patients. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1997;28:2400-2404.
7. Cano LM, Cardona P, Quesada H, Mora P, Rubio F. [Cerebellar infarction: prognosis and complications of vascular territories]. Neurologia (Barcelona, Spain) 2012;27:330-335.
8. Guyot LL, Kazmierczak CD, Diaz FG. Vascular injury in neurotrauma. Neurological research 2001;23:291-296.
9. Byrd LR, Vogel HL. Ischemic cerebellar infarct in a 5-year-old boy: sequela to minor back trauma. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 1996;96:245-249.
10. Duval EL, Van Coster R, Verstraeten K. Acute traumatic stroke: a case of bow hunter's stroke in a child. European journal of emergency medicine : official journal of the European Society for Emergency Medicine 1998;5:259-263.
11. Mostofi K. Neurosurgical management of massive cerebellar infarct outcome in 53 patients. Surgical neurology international 2013;4:28.
12. George B, Cophignon J, George C, Lougnon J. [Surgical aspects of cerebellar infarctions based upon a series of 79 cases (author's transl)]. Neuro-Chirurgie 1978;24:83-88.
13. Heros RC. Cerebellar hemorrhage and infarction. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1982;13:106-109.
14. Norris JW, Eisen AA, Branch CL. Problems in cerebellar hemorrhage and infarction. Neurology 1969;19:1043-1050.
15. Neugebauer H, Witsch J, Zweckberger K, Jüttler E. Space-occupying cerebellar infarction: complications, treatment, and outcome. Neurosurgical focus 2013;34:E8.
16. Savitz SI, Caplan LR, Edlow JA. Pitfalls in the diagnosis of cerebellar infarction. Academic emergency medicine : official journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine 2007;14:63-68.
17. Lehrich JR, Winkler GF, Ojemann RG. Cerebellar infarction with brain stem compression. Diagnosis and surgical treatment. Archives of neurology 1970;22:490-498.
18. Amarenco P. The spectrum of cerebellar infarctions. Neurology 1991;41:973-979.
19. Edlow JA, Newman-Toker DE, Savitz SI. Diagnosis and initial management of cerebellar infarction. The Lancet Neurology 2008;7:951-964.
20. Rommel O, Niedeggen A, Tegenthoff M, Kiwitt P, Bötel U, Malin J. Carotid and vertebral artery injury following severe head or cervical spine trauma. Cerebrovascular diseases (Basel, Switzerland) 1999;9:202-209.
21. Pugliese F, Crusco F, Cardaioli G, et al. CT angiography versus colour-Doppler US in acute dissection of the vertebral artery. La Radiologia medica 2007;112:435-443.
22. Heros RC. Surgical treatment of cerebellar infarction. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1992;23:937-938.
23. Amar AP. Controversies in the neurosurgical management of cerebellar hemorrhage and infarction. Neurosurgical focus 2012;32:E1.
24. Raco A, Caroli E, Isidori A, Salvati M. Management of acute cerebellar infarction: one institution's experience. Neurosurgery 2003;53:1061-1065; discussion 1065.
25. Tsitsopoulos PP, Tobieson L, Enblad P, Marklund N. Clinical outcome following surgical treatment for bilateral cerebellar infarction. Acta neurologica Scandinavica 2011;123:345-351.
26. Mendelow AD, Gregson BA, Fernandes HM, et al. Early surgery versus initial conservative treatment in patients with spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral haematomas in the International Surgical Trial in Intracerebral Haemorrhage (STICH): a randomised trial. Lancet (London, England) 2005;365:387-397.
27. Heros RC. Cerebellar infarction resulting from traumatic occlusion of a vertebral artery. Case report. Journal of neurosurgery 1979;51:111-113.
28. Chen HJ, Lee TC, Wei CP. Treatment of cerebellar infarction by decompressive suboccipital craniectomy. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1992;23:957-961.
29. Kase CS, Wolf PA. Cerebellar infarction: upward transtentorial herniation after ventriculostomy. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation 1993;24:1096-1098.