Extramedullary plasmacytoma is a rare neoplasm characterized by monoclonal proliferation of plasma cells. It is most often located in the head and neck region. Extramedullary Plasmacytomas are more predominant in males who are in the 5th – 6th decade. In this report, this patient, who is a young female, presented to our clinic with history of intermittent nasal obstruction for the past year. She was diagnosed with extramedullary plasmacytoma and was subjected to radiotherapy. The clinical and histopathologic findings of plasmacytoma are discussed. In order to exclude systemic involvement, a systematic approach using clinical, laboratory and radiologic investigations was performed. Extramedullary plasmacytoma of the nasal cavity is rare and should be considered in the differential diagnosis of nasal cavity masses, especially in the young age group.
1. Bachar G, Goldstein D, Brown D, Tsang R, Lockwood G, Perez-Ordonez B, et al. Solitary extramedullary plasmacytoma of the head and neck-long-term outcome analysis of 68 cases. Head Neck. 2008;30(8):1012–9. DOI: 10.1002/hed.20821.
2. Kitamura A, Yamashita Y, Hasegawa Y, Kojima H, Nagasawa T, Mori N. Primary lymphoma arising in the nasal cavity among Japanese. Histopathology. 2005;47(5):523-32. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2559.2005.02265.x.
3. International Myeloma Working Group. Criteria for the classification of monoclonal gammopathies, multiple myeloma and related disorders: a report of the International Myeloma Working Group. Br J Haematol. 2003;121(5):749-57.
4. Attanasio G, Viccaro M, Barbaro M, De Seta E, Filipo R. Extramedullary plasmacytoma of paranasal sinuses. A combined therapeutic strategy. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2006;26(2):118-20.
5. Wiltshaw E. The natural history of extramedullary plasmacytoma and its relation to solitary myeloma of bone and myelomatosis. Medicine (Baltimore). 1976;55(3):217-38.
6. Creach KM, Foote RL, Neben-Wittich MA, Kyle RA. Radiotherapy for extramedullary plasmacytoma of the head and neck. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;73(3):789-94. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.04.077. Epub 2008 Aug 15.