Background: Shared decision making (SDM) is becoming more and more important for the patient-physician interaction. There has not been a study in Romania evaluating patients’ point of view in the SDM process yet. Therefore, the present study aims to evaluate the psychometric parameters of the translated Romanian version of SDM-Q-9.
Material and methods: A multicentric cross-sectional study was performed comprising eight recruitment centers. The sample consisted of in- and outpatients who referred to Hospital Units for treatment for atrial fibrillation or collagen diseases. Furthermore, patients who were members of Autoimmune Disease Patient Society were able to participate via an online survey. All participants completed the Romanian translated SDM-Q-9.
Results: Altogether, 665 questionnaires were filled in within the hospital setting (n = 324; 48.7%) and online (n= 341; 51.3%). The Romanian version had good internal consistency (Cronbach α coefficient of 0.96.) Corrected item correlations were good ranging from 0.64 to 0.89 with low corrected item correlations for item 1 and item 7. PCA found a one-factorial solution (similar with previous reports) but the first item had the lowest loading.
Conclusion: SDM-Q-9 is a useful tool for evaluation and improvement in health care that was validated in Romania and can be used in clinical setting in this country.
1. GÄRTNER FR, BOMHOF-ROORDINK H, SMITH IP, SCHOLL I, STIGGELBOUT AM, PIETERSE AH. The quality of instruments to assess the process of shared decision making: A systematic review. PLoS One. 2018;13(2):e0191747
2. TERWEE CB, PRINSEN CAC, CHIAROTTO A, WESTERMAN MJ, PATRICK DL, ALONSO J, BOUTER LM, DE VET HCW, MOKKINK LB. COSMIN methodology for evaluating the content validity of patient-reported outcome measures: a Delphi study. Qual Life Res. 2018;27(5):1159-1170
3. PRINSEN CAC, MOKKINK LB, BOUTER LM, ALONSO J, PATRICK DL, DE VET HCW, TERWEE CB. COSMIN guideline for systematic reviews of patient-reported outcome measures. Qual Life Res. 2018;27(5):1147-1157
4. MOKKINK LB, DE VET HCW, PRINSEN CAC, PATRICK DL, ALONSO J, BOUTER LM, TERWEE CB. COSMIN Risk of Bias checklist for systematic reviews of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures. Qual Life Res. 2018;27(5):1171-1179
5. SIMON D, SCHORR G, WIRTZ M, VODERMAIER A, CASPARI C, NEUNER B, et al. Development and first validation of the shared decision-making questionnaire (SDM-Q). Patient Educ Couns. 2006;63:319–327
6. SCHOLL I., KRISTON L., DIRMAIER J., HÄRTER M. Comparing the nine-item Shared Decision-Making Questionnaire to the OPTION Scale - an attempt to establish convergent validity. Health Expectations. 2015;18:137–150
7. KRISTON L, SCHOLL I, HÖLZEL L, SIMON D, LOH A, HÄRTER M. The 9-item shared decision making questionnaire (SDM-Q-9). Development and psychometric properties in a primary care sample. Patient Education and Counseling, 2010; 80: 94–99.
8. ALVAREZ K, WANG Y, ALEGRIA M, AULT-BRUTUS A, RAMANAYAKE N, YEH YH, et al. Psychometrics of shared decision making and communication as patient centered measures for two language groups. Psychol Assess. 2016;28(9):1074–86
9. DE LAS CUEVAS C, PERESTELO-PEREZ L, RIVERO-SANTANA A, CEBOLLA-MARTI A, SCHOLL I, HARTER M. Validation of the Spanish version of the 9-item Shared Decision-Making Questionnaire. Health Expect. 2015;18(6):2143-53
10. RODENBURG-VANDENBUSSCHE S, PIETERSE AH, KROONENBERG PM, SCHOLL I, VAN DER WEIJDEN T, LUYTEN GP, et al. Dutch Translation and Psychometric Testing of the 9-Item Shared Decision Making Questionnaire (SDM-Q-9) and Shared Decision Making Questionnaire-Physician Version (SDM-Q-Doc) in Primary and Secondary Care. PLoS One. 2015;10(7):e0132158
11. ZISMAN-ILANI Y, ROE D, SCHOLL I, HARTER M, KARNIELI-MILLER O. Shared Decision Making During Active Psychiatric Hospitalization: Assessment and Psychometric Properties. Health Commun. 2016:1–5
12. BAICUS C, DELCEA C, DIMA A, OPRISAN E, JURCUT C, DAN GA. Influence of decisionaids on oral anticoagulant prescribing among physicians: a randomised trial. Eur J Clin Invest. 2017;47(9):649-658
13. RUIZ-AZAROLA A, PERESTELO-PÉREZ L. Citizens’ participation in health: education and shared decision-making. SESPAS Report 2012. Gaceta Sanitaria, 2012; 26 (Suppl. 1): 158–161