Introduction. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a disease with increased left ventricular (LV) wall thickness not solely explained by abnormal loading conditions, with great heterogeneity regarding clinical expression and prognosis. The aim of the present study was to collect data on HCM patients from different centres across the country, in order to assess the general characteristics and therapeutic choices in this population.
Methods. Between December 2014 and April 2017, 210 patients from 11 Romanian Cardiology centres were enrolled in the National Registry of HCM. All patients had to fulfil the diagnosis criteria for HCM according to the European Society of Cardiology guidelines. Clinical, electrocardiographic, imaging and therapeutic characteristics were included in a predesigned online file.
Results. Median age at enrolment was 55 ± 15 years with male predominance (60%). 43.6% of the patients had obstructive HCM, 50% non-obstructive HCM, while 6.4% had an apical pattern. Maximal wall thickness was 20.3 ± 4.8 mm (limits 15-37 mm) while LV ejection fraction was 60 ± 8%. Heart failure symptoms dominated the clinical picture, mainly NYHA functional class II (51.4%). Most frequent arrhythmias were atrial fibrillation (28.1%) and non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (19.9%). Mean sudden cardiac death risk score (SCD-RS) was 3.0 ± 2.3%, with 10.4% of the patients with high risk of SCD. However, only 5.7% received an ICD. Patients were mainly treated with beta-blockers (72.9%), diuretics (28.1%) and oral anticoagulants (28.6%). Invasive treatment of LVOT obstruction was performed in a small number of patients: 22 received myomectomy and 13 septal ablation. Cardiac magnetic resonance was reported in only 14 patients (6.6%).
Conclusions. The Romanian registry of HCM illustrates patient characteristics at a national level as well as the gaps in management which need improvement – accessibility to high-end diagnostic tests and invasive methods of treatment.
1. SEN-CHOWDHRY S., JACOBY D., MOON JC., MCKENNA WJ. Update on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and a guide to the guidelines. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2016; 13(11):651-675.
2. ELLIOTT PM., ANASTASAKIS A., BORGER MA., BORGGREFE M., CECCHI F., CHARRON P., et al. 2014 ESC Guidelines on diagnosis and management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35(39):2733-79.
4. ELLIOTT P., CHARRON P., BLANES JR., TAVAZZI L., TENDERA M., KONTÉ M., LAROCHE C., et al. European Cardiomyopathy Pilot Registry: EURObservational Research Programme of the European Society of Cardiology. 2016; 37(2):164-73.
5. CHARRON P., ELLIOTT PM., GIMENO JR., CAFORIO ALP., KASKI JP., TAVAZZI L., et al. The Cardiomyopathy Registry of the EURObservational Research Programme of the European Society of Cardiology: baseline data and contemporary management of adult patients with cardiomyopathies. Eur Heart J. 2018 (doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehx819).
6. OLIVOTTO I., MARON MS., ADABAG AS., CASEY SA., VARGIU D., LINK MS., et al. Gender-related differences in the clinical presentation and outcome of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 46(3):480-7.
8. OLIVOTTO I., CECCHI F., CASEY SA., DOLARA A., TRAVERSE JH., MARON BJ. Impact of atrial fibrillation on the clinical course of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2001; 104(21):2517-24.
9. GUTTMANN OP., RAHMAN MS., O’MAHONY C., ANASTASAKIS A., ELLIOTT PM. Atrial fibrillation and thromboembolism in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: systematic review. Heart. 2014; 100(6):465-72.
10. CECCHI F., OLIVOTTO I., BETOCCHI S., RAPEZZI C., CONTE MR., SINAGRA G., et al. The Italian registry for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: A nationwide survey. Am Heart J. 2005; 150(5):947-54.
11. APETREI E., COMAN I., GEORGESCU G., CAPRARU C., PETRE D. Correlation between ECG and echocardiographical changes in 145 cases of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Proceedings 14th Int. Congr. Electrocardiol. Berlin, 1997; 591-4.
12. MONSERRAT L., ELLIOTT PM., GIMENO JR., SHARMA S., PENAS-LADO M., MCKENNA WJ. Non-sustained ventricular tachycardia in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003; 42(5):873-9.
13. ADABAG AS., CASEY SA., KUSKOWSKI MA., ZENOVICH AG., MARON BJ. Spectrum and prognostic significance of arrhythmias on ambulatory Holter electrocardiogram in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Col. Cardiol. 2005; 45(5):697-704.
14. MARON MS, OLIVOTTO I, ZENOVICH AG, LINK MS, PANDIAN NG, KUVIN JT, et al. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is predominantly a disease of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Circulation. 2006; 114(21):2232-9.
15. TO AC., DHILLON A., DESAI MY. Cardiac magnetic resonance in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011; 4(10):1123-37.
16. O’HANLON R., GRASSO A., ROUGHTON M., MOON JC., CLARK S., WAGE R., et al. Prognostic Significance of Myocardial Fibrosis in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56(11):867-74.
17. SPOLADORE R., MARON MS., D’AMATO R., CAMICI PG., OLIVOTTO I. Pharmacological treatment options for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: high time for evidence. Eur Heart J. 2012; 33(14):1724-33.
18. APETREI E., SEGGEWISS H., DELEANU D., POPESCU BA., ZARMA L., COMAN IM. Ablaţia miocardică septală percutanată în cardiomiopatia hipertrofică obstructivă. Rev Rom Cardiol. 1991; 9:134-40.