Background. We aimed to determine the relationship between endocan and cirrhotic cardiomyopathy.
Materials and methods. Patients with liver cirrhosis and no heart disease were included in a prospective observational study with liver disease decompensation and death as primary outcomes.
Results. 83 cirrhotic patients were included and 32 had cirrhotic cardiomyopathy. Endocan levels were significantly lower in patients with cirrhotic cardiomyopathy (5.6 vs. 7 ng/mL, p = 0.034). Endocan correlated with severity of cirrhosis, time to decompensation or death from liver disease (OR 4.5 95% CI 1.06-31.1).
Conclusion. Endocan is a promising biomarker of severity of cirrhosis and may help in the diagnosis of cardiac dysfunction in this population.
1. SEO K, KITAZAWA T, YOSHINO Y, et al. Characteristics of serum endocan levels in infection. PLoS One. 2015; 10(4):e0123358.
2. COX LA, VAN EIJK LT, RAMAKERS BP, et al. Inflammation-induced increases in plasma endocan levels are associated with endothelial dysfunction in humans in vivo. Shock. 2015; 43(4):322-326.
3. SCHERPEREEL A, DEPONTIEU F, GRIGORIU B, et al. Endocan, a new endothelial marker in human sepsis. Crit Care Med.2006; 34(2):532-537.
4. PALUD A, PARMENTIER-DECRUCQ E, PASTRE J, et al. Evaluation of endothelial biomarkers as predictors of organ failures in septic shock patients. Cytokine. 2015; 73(2):213-218.
5. YANG J, YANG Q, YU S, et al. Endocan: A new marker for cancer and a target for cancer therapy. Biomed Rep. 2015; 3(3):279-283.
6. BALTA S, MIKHAILIDIS DP, DEMIRKOL S, et al. Endocan: A novel inflammatory indicator in cardiovascular disease? Atherosclerosis.2015; 243(1):339-343.
7. HUANG GW, TAO YM, DING X. Endocan expression correlated with poor survival in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Dig Dis Sci. 2009; 54(2):389-394.
8. NAULT JC, GUYOT E, LAGUILLIER C, et al. Serum proteoglycans as prognostic biomarkers of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with alcoholic cirrhosis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev.2013; 22(8):1343-1352.
9. OZAKI K, TOSHIKUNI N, GEORGE J, et al. Serum endocan as a novel prognostic biomarker in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. J Cancer. 2014; 5(3):221-230.
10. TOK D, EKIZ F, BASAR O, et al. Serum endocan levels in patients with chronic liver disease. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2014; 7(7):1802-1807.
11. TOSHIKUNI N, OZAKI K, GEORGE J, et al. Serum endocan as a survival predictor for patients with liver cirrhosis. Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 29(8):427-430.
13. GOLDBERG, DS, FALLON MB. The Art and Science of Diagnosing and Treating Lung and Heart Disease Secondary to Liver Disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 13(12):2118-2127.
14. LOPEZ-TALAVERA JC, CADELINA G, OLCHOWSKI J, et al. Thalidomide inhibits tumor necrosis factor alpha, decreases nitric oxide synthesis, and ameliorates the hyperdynamic circulatory syndrome in portal-hypertensive rats. Hepatology. 2016; 23:1616–1621.
15. KUDDUS RH, NALESNIK MA, SUBBOTIN VM, et al. Enhanced synthesis and reduced metabolism of endothelin-1 (ET-1) by hepatocytes--an important mechanism of increased endogenous levels of ET-1 in liver cirrhosis. J Hepatol. 2000; 33(5):725-732.
16. BALDASSARRE M, GIANNONE FA, NAPOLI L, et al. The endocannabinoid system in advanced liver cirrhosis: pathophysiological implication and future perspectives. Liver Int. 2013; 33:1298–1308.
17. BUSK TM, BENDTSEN F, NIELSEN HJ, et al. TIMP-1 in patients with cirrhosis: relation to liver dysfunction, portal hypertension, and hemodynamic changes. Scand J Gastroenterol.2014; 49(9):1103-1110.
18. MORTENSEN C, JENSEN JS, HOBOLTH L, et al. Association of markers of bacterial translocation with immune activation in decompensated cirrhosis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol.2016; 26(12):1360-6.
19. WIEST R, LAWSON M, GEUKING M. Pathological bacterial translocation in liver cirrhosis. J Hepatol. 2014; 60(1):197-209.
20. GASKARI SA, LIU H, D’MELLO C, et al. Blunted cardiac response to hemorrhage in cirrhotic rats is mediated by local macrophage-released endocannabinoids. J Hepatol.2015; 62(6):1272-7.
21. VOIOSU AM, DAHA IC, VOIOSU TA, et al. Prevalence and impact on survival of hepatopulmonary syndrome and cirrhotic cardiomyopathy in a cohort of cirrhotic patients. Liver Int. 2015; 35(12):2547-2555.
22. NAGUEH SF, APPLETON CP, GILLEBERT TC, et al. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2009; 22:107–133.
23. VOIOSU T, BALANESCU P, BENGUS A, et al. Serum endocan levels are increased in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Lab.2014; 60(3):505-510.
24. BĂLĂNESCU P, LADARU A, BĂLĂNESCU E, et al. Endocan, Novel Potential Biomarker for Systemic Sclerosis: Results of a Pilot Study. J Clin Lab Anal. 2016; 30(5):368-373.
25. DALLIO M, MASARONE M, CAPRIO GG, et al. Endocan Serum Levels in Patients with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease with or without Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Pilot Study. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2017; 26(3):261-268.
26. WIESE S, MORTENSEN C, GØTZE JP, et al Cardiac and proinflammatory markers predict prognosis in cirrhosis. Liver Int. 2014; 34(6):e19-30.
27. KARAGIANNAKIS DS, VLACHOGIANNAKOS J, ANASTASIADIS G, et al. Frequency and severity of cirrhotic cardiomyopathy and its possible relationship with bacterial endotoxemia. Dig Dis Sci. 2013; 58(10):3029-3036.
28. LEE W, KU SK, KIM SW, et al. Endocan elicits severe vascular inflammatory responses in vitro and in vivo. J Cell Physiol. 2014; 229(5):620-630.
29. BALTA S, MIKHAILIDIS DP, DEMIRKOL S, et al. Endocan--a novel inflammatory indicator in newly diagnosed patients with hypertension: a pilot study. Angiology. 2014; 65(9):773-777.
30. TSCHÖPE C, PAULUS WJ. Doppler echocardiography yields dubious estimates of left ventricular diastolic pressures. Circulation. 2009; 120: 810-820.