Background and aims: Overweight and obese individuals are prone to an insulin resistance status assessed in the present study by the HOMA index ("Homeostasis model assessment"). This prospective study assessed the body mass index (BMI) and the insulin resistance status (HOMA index) in obese patients after bariatric surgery (gastric sleeve, gastric by-pass).
Material and Methods: The study included 48 patients who were assessed before the bariatric surgery and at 6 months thereafter. The assessment included the body mass index (BMI) and the HOMA index before meal.
Results: There was a significant positive correlation between BMI and HOMA index, mostly between weight loss and improvement in insulin resistance status (rho = 0.308, p = 0.0335).
Conclusions: BMI decreases significantly after bariatric surgery, which correlates positively with an improvement in insulin resistance status.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. McCall B. Adiposity-Based Chronic Disease: A New name for Obesity? Medscape Medical News 2016
2. WHO. Obesity and overweight. Fact Sheet 311 2006.
3. Garrow JS Webster J. Quetelet’s index (W/H2) as a measure of fatness. Int J Obes 9(2): 147–153 1985
4. Lichiardopol R. Rezistenţa la insulină: un sindrom cu implicaţii multiple. The BMJ 2003.
5. Bonora E Targher G Alberiche M et al. Homeostasis model assessment closely mirrors the glucose clamp technique in the assessment of insulin sensitivity: studies in subjects with various degrees of glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity. Diabetes Care 23(1): 57-63 2000
6. Katsuki A Sumido Y Gabazza E et al. Homeostasis Model Assessment Is a Reliable Indicator of Insulin Resistance During Follow-up of Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 24(2): 362-365 2001.
7. Gast KB Tjeerdema N Stijnen T Smit JW Dekkers OM. Insulin resistance and risk of incident cardiovascular events in adults without diabetes: meta-analysis. PLoS One 7(12): e52036 2012
8. Rundek T Gardener H Xu Q et al. Insulin resistance and risk of ischemic stroke among nondiabetic individuals from the northern Manhattan study. Arch Neurol 67(10): 1195-200 2010
9. Laborator Betania Oradea. Referinţele specifice tehnologiei de lucru utilizate. 2016. Ref Type: Catalog.
10. Beineke M. Marker for the diagnosis of insulin resistance. Bioscientia 1 2008
11. Stubbs RS Wickremesekera SK. Insulin resistance in the severely obese and links with metabolic co-morbidities. Obes Surg 12(3): 343-8 2002
12. Gumbs AA Modlin IM Ballantyne GH. Changes in insulin resistance following bariatric surgery: role of caloric restriction and weight loss. Obes Surg 15(4):462-473 2005
13. Monzo-Beltran L Vazquez-Tarragón A Cerdà C et al. One-year follow-up of clinical metabolic and oxidative stress profile of morbid obese patients after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. 8-oxo-dG as a clinical marker. Redox Biol 12: 389–402 2017