2. Burrows NR, Hora I, Geiss LS, Gregg EW, Albright A. Incidence of end-stage renal disease attributed to diabetes among persons with diagnosed diabetes - United States and Puerto Rico, 2000-2014. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 66: 1165-1170, 2017.
3. Montvida O, Shaw J, Atherton JJ, Stringer F, Paul SK. Long-term trends in antidiabetes drug usage in the U.S.: Real-world evidence in patients newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care Nov 6. pii: dc171414. doi: 10.2337/dc17-1414, 2017. [Epub ahead of print]
4. American Diabetes Association. Pharmacologic approaches to glycemic treatment, Sec. 8 in Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes―2017. Diabetes Care 40[Suppl. 1]: S64–S74, 2017.
5. Edelman SV, Polonsky WH. Type 2 diabetes in the real world: the elusive nature of glycemic control. Diabetes Care 40: 1425-1432, 2017.
6. Htike ZZ, Zaccardi F, Papamargaritis D, Webb DR, Khunti K, Davies MJ. Efficacy and safety of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists in type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and mixed-treatment comparison analysis. Diabetes Obes Metab 19: 524-536, 2017.
7. Malone J, Trautmann M, Wilhelm K, Taylor K, Kendall DM. Exenatide once weekly for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 18:359-367, 2009.
8. Knop FK, Brønden A, Vilsbøll T. Exenatide: pharmacokinetics, clinical use, and future directions. Expert Opin Pharmacother 18: 555-571, 2017.
9. Abd El Aziz MS, Kahle M, Meier JJ, Nauck MA. A meta-analysis comparing clinical effects of short- or long-acting GLP-1 receptor agonists versus insulin treatment from head-to-head studies in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Obes Metab 19: 216-227, 2017.
10. DeYoung MB, MacConell L, Sarin V, Trautmann M, Herbert P. Encapsulation of exenatide in poly-(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) microspheres produced an investigational long-acting once-weekly formulation for type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther 13: 1145-1154, 2011.
11. Fineman M, Flanagan S, Taylor K et al. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of exenatide extended-release after single and multiple dosing. Clin Pharmacokinet 50: 65–74, 2011.
12. LaRue S, Malloy J. Evaluation of the dual-chamber pen design for the injection of exenatide once weekly for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Sci Technol 9: 815–821, 2015.
13. Buse JB, Drucker DJ, Taylor KL et al. DURATION-1: exenatide once weekly produces sustained glycemic control and weight loss over 52 weeks. Diabetes Care 33: 1255–1261, 2010.
14. Wysham CH, Philis-Tsimikas A, Klein EJ et al. DURATION-1 extension in patients with T2D: efficacy and tolerability of exenatide once weekly (QW) over 7 years. Diabetes 65[Suppl. 1]: A271, 2016. (Abstract 1041-P) - Presented at ADA 76th Scientific Sessions; New Orleans, USA, 10–14 Jun 2016.
15. Kayaniyil S, Lozano-Ortega G, Bennett HA et al. A network meta-analysis comparing exenatide once weekly with other GLP-1 receptor agonists for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Ther 7: 27-43, 2016.
16. MacConell L, Gurney K, Malloy J et al. Safety and tolerability of exenatide once weekly in patients with type 2 diabetes: an integrated analysis of 4,328 patients. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 8: 241–253, 2015.
17. Bettge K, Kahle M, Abd El Aziz MS, Meier JJ, Nauck MA. Occurrence of nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea reported as adverse events in clinical trials studying glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists: A systematic analysis of published clinical trials. Diabetes Obes Metab 19: 336-347, 2017.
18. Buse JB, Bergenstal RM, Glass LC et al. Use of twice-daily exenatide in basal insulin-treated patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 154: 103-112, 2011.
19. Diamant M, Nauck MA, Shaginian R et al. Glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor agonist or bolus insulin with optimized basal insulin in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 37: 2763-2773, 2014.
20. Frias JP, Rosenstock J, Somogyi A et al. Efficacy and safety of exenatide qw vs. placebo added to insulin glargine in uncontrolled basal-insulin treated type 2 diabetes: DURATION-7 trial. Diabetes 66[Suppl 1]: A34, 2017. (Abstract 132-OR) – Presented at ADA 77th Scientific Sessions, San Diego, USA, 9-13 June 2017.
21. Hardy E, Rosenstock J, Frias JP et al. Individual HbA1c and weight responses to exenatide QW or placebo added to titrated insulin glargine in type 2 diabetes uncontrolled after insulin optimisation in the DURATION-7 study. Diabetologia 60[Suppl 1]: S3, 2017. (Abstract 3) – Presented at EASD Annual Meeting, Lisbon, Portugal, 12-15 September 2017.
22. Frías JP, Guja C, Hardy E et al. Exenatide once weekly plus dapagliflozin once daily versus exenatide or dapagliflozin alone in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin monotherapy (DURATION-8): a 28 week, multicentre, double-blind, phase 3, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 4: 1004–1016, 2016.
23. Guja C, Frias JP, Ahmed AA et al. DURATION-8 randomised controlled trial 1-year results: efficacy and safety of once-weekly exenatide plus once-daily dapagliflozin versus exenatide or dapagliflozin alone. Diabetologia 60[Suppl 1]: S5, 2017. (Abstract 6) - 53rd EASD Annual Meeting, Lisbon, Portugal, 12-15 September 2017.
28. Gadde KM, Vetter ML, Iqbal N et al. Efficacy and safety of autoinjected exenatide once-weekly suspension versus sitagliptin or placebo with metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: The DURATION-NEO-2 randomized clinical study. Diabetes Obes Metab 19: 979-988, 2017.