Background and Aims: Various types of infertility are associated with uncontrolled hyperglycemia and diabetes. Development of oxidative stress is one the most important factors in the alteration of spermatogenesis in diabetic conditions. Consequently, the reduction of oxidative stress with antioxidant compounds can be effective in the reduction of tissue alterations. The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of coenzyme Q10 in improvement of spermatogenesis in adult diabetic rats. Material and Methods: 32 adult rats were divided into four groups of control and treatment. Coenzyme Q10 (10 mg/kg body weight - b.w.) was administrated to one control and one diabetic (intraperitoneal injection of 45 mg/kg b.w. of Streptozotocin) groups. Blood concentrations of FSH, LH and Testosterone were measured. Histology of testicular tissue and sperm analysis were considered for evaluation of spermatogenesis. Results: Administration of Coenzyme Q10 led to increase of pituitary gonadotropins levels in diabetic rats. Testosterone levels were not changed significantly. Testicular morphology, spermatogenic indices and sperm analysis were improved in treated diabetic rats. Conclusions: The results of this study suggest that the use of Coenzyme Q10 has positive effects in reduction of spermatogenic alterations following induction of experimental diabetes in rats.
1. Yanardag R, Ozsoy-Sacan O, Bolkent S, Orak H, Karabulut-Bulan O. Protective effects of metformin treatment on the liver injury of streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Hum Exp Toxicol 24: 129-135, 2005.
2. Cai L, Chen S, Evans T, Xi Deng D, Mukherjee K, Chakrabarti S. Apoptotic germ-cell death and testicular damage in experimental diabetes: prevention by endothelin antagonism. Urol Res 28: 342-347, 2000.
7. Grootegoed JA, Oonk RB, Jansen R, Van der Molen HJ. Metabolism of radiolabeled energy-yielding substrates by rat Sertoli cells. J Reprod Fertil 77: 109-118, 1986.
8. Mruk DD, Yan Cheng C. Sertoli-Sertoli and Sertoli-germ cell interactions and their significance in germ cell movement in the seminiferous epithelium during spermatogenesis. Endocrine Rev 25: 747-806, 2004.
9. Lenaz G, Fato R, Formiggini G, Genova ML. The role of coenzyme Q in mitochondrial electron transport. Mitochondrion [Suppl. 7]: S8-S33, 2007. (Abstract)
10. Crane FL. Biochemical functions of coenzymeQ10. J Am Coll Nutr 20: 591-598, 2001.
11. Bentinger M, Brismar K, Dallner G. The antioxidant role of coenzyme Q. Mitochondrion [Suppl. 7]: S41-S50, 2007. (Abstract)
12. Venkateswaran S, Pari L. Antioxidant effect of Phaseolus vulgaris in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 11: 206-209, 2002.
13. Singh RB, Shinde SN, Chopra RK, Niaz MA, Thakur AS, Onouchi Z. Effect of coenzyme Q10 on experimental atherosclerosis and chemical composition and quality of atheroma in rabbits. Atherosclerosis 148: 275-282, 2000.
14. Shetty G, Wilson G, Huhtaniemi I, Shuttlesworth GA, Reissmann T, Meistrich ML. Gonadotropin releasing hormone analogs and testosterone inhibits the recovery of spermatogenesis in irradiated rats. Endocrinology 141: 1735-1745, 2000.
15. Wyrobek AJ, Gordon LA, Burkhart JG et al. An evaluation of the mouse sperm morphology test and other sperm tests in nonhuman mammals. A report of the US Environmental Protection Agency Gene-Tox Program. Mutat Res 115: 1-72, 1983.
16. Nishikawa T, Araki E. Impact of mitochondrial ROS production in the pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Antioxid Redox Signal 9: 343-353, 2007.
17. Shrilatha B, Muralidhara. Early oxidative stress in testis and epididymal sperm in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice: its progression and genotoxic consequences. Reprod Toxicol 23: 578-587, 2007.
18. Aitken RJ, Roman SD. Antioxidant systems and oxidative stress in the testes. Oxid Med Cell Longev 1: 15-24, 2008.
19. Kianifard D, Sadrkhanlou RA, Hasanzadeh S. the histological, histomorphometrical and histochemical changes of testicular tissue in the metformin treated and untreated streptozotocin-induced adult diabetic rats. Vet Res Forum 2: 13-24, 2011.
20. Sudha S, Valli G, Julie PM, Arunakaran J, Govindarajulu P, Balasubramanian K. Influence ofstreptozotocin-induced diabetes and insulin treatment on the pituitary-testicular axis during sexual maturation in rat. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 108: 14-20, 2000.
21. Reddy MM, Mahipal SV, Subhashini J et al. Bacterial lipopolysaccharide-induced oxidative stress in the impairment of steroidogenesis and spermatogenesis in rats. Reprod Toxicol 22: 493-500, 2006.
22. Maiorino M, Ursini F. Oxidative stress, spermatogenesis and fertility. Biol Chem 383: 591-597, 2005.
23. Balercia G, Mosca F, Mantero F et al. Coenzyme Q(10) supplementation in infertile men with idiopathic asthenozoospermia: an open, uncontrolled pilot study. Fertil Steril 81: 93-98, 2004.
24. Lewin A, Lavon H. The effect of coenzyme Q10 on sperm motility and function. Molecul Aspect of Med 18: 213-219, 1997.
25. Tanimura J. Studies on arginine in human semen. The influences of several drugs on male infertility. Bull Saka Med Sch 12: 90-100, 1967.