Novel therapeutic approaches are continuously being researched in type 2 diabetes. The incretin class of anti-diabetic agents, consisting of glucagon-like peptide-1 agonists and dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors, has already found an important place in the current guidelines. Vildagliptin is a potent dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, with numerous trials in type 2 diabetes treatment, both in monotherapy and in combination therapy. This review focuses on vildagliptin pharmacological properties, clinical efficacy and safety, and pharmacoeconomic data.
1. Nauck MA, Homberger E, Siegel EG et al. Incretin effects of increasing glucose loads in man calculated from venous insulin and C-peptide responses. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 63: 492-498, 1986.
2. Nauck MA, Stöckmann F, Ebert R,Creutzfeldt W. Reduced incretin effect in type 2 (noninsulin- dependent) diabetes. Diabetologia 29: 46-52, 1986.
3. Vildagliptin - summary of product characteristics, 2012.
4. He Y-L. Clinical pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of vildagliptin. Clin Pharmacokinet 51: 147-162, 2012.
5. He Y-L, Sabo R, Picard F et al. Study of the pharmacokinetic interaction of vildagliptin and metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes. Curr MedRes Opin 25: 1265-1272, 2009.
6. Serra D, He Y-L, Bullock J et al. Evaluation of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic interaction between the dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor vildagliptin, glyburide and pioglitazone in patients with type 2 diabetes. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 46: 349-364, 2008.
7. He Y-L, Ligueros-Saylan M, Sunkara G, etal. Vildagliptin, a novel dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor, has no pharmacokinetic interactions with the antihypertensive agents amlodipine, valsartan, and ramipril in healthy subjects. J Clin Pharmacol 48: 85-95, 2008.
8. Ayalasomayajula SP, Dole K, He Y-L et al. Evaluation of the potential for steady-state pharmacokinetics interaction between vildagliptin and simvastatin in healthy subjects. Curr Med Res Opin 23: 2913-2920, 2007.
9. He Y-L, Sabo R, Sunkara G et al. Evaluation of pharmacokinetic interactions between vildagliptin and digoxin in healthy volunteers. J Clin Pharmacol 47: 998-1004, 2007.
10. He Y-L, Sabo R, Riviere G-J et al. Effect of the novel oral dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor vildagliptin on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of warfarin in healthy subjects. Curr Med Res Opin 23: 1131-1138, 2007.
11. Burkey BF, Hoffmann PK, Hassiepen U,Trappe J, Juedes M, Foley JE. Adverse effects of dipeptidyl peptidases 8 and 9 inhibition in rodents revisited. Diabetes Obes Metab 10: 1057-1061, 2008.
12. He Y-L, Wang Y, Bullock J et al. Pharmacodynamics of vildagliptin in patients with type 2 diabetes during OGTT. J Clin Pharmacol 47: 633-641, 2007.
13. D’Alessio DA, Denney AM, Hermiller LM etal. Treatment with the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor vildagliptin improves fasting islet-cell function in subjects with type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94: 81-88, 2009.
14. Ahrén B, Landin-Olsson M, Jansson PA,Svensson M, Holmes D, Schweizer A. Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 reduces glycemia, sustains insulin levels and reduces glucagon levels in type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 2078-2084, 2004.
15. Scheen AJ. DPP-4 inhibitors in the management of type 2 diabetes: a critical review of head-to-head trials. Diabetes Metab 38: 89-101, 2012.
16. Rosenstock J, Kim SW, Baron MA et al. Efficacy and tolerability of initial combination therapy with vildagliptin and pioglitazone compared with component monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab 9: 175-185, 2007.
17. Pan C, Yang W, Barona JP et al. Comparison of vildagliptin and acarbose monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week, double-blind, randomized trial. Diabet Med 25: 435-441, 2008.
18. Bosi E, Camisasca RP, Collober C, RochotteE, Garber AJ. Effects of vildagliptin on glucose control over 24 weeks in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin. Diabetes Care 30: 890-895, 2007.
19. Schweizer A, Dejager S, Foley JE. Impact of insulin resistance, body mass index, disease duration, and duration of metformin use on the efficacy of vildagliptin. Diabetes Ther 3: 8, 2012.
20. Matthews DR, Dejager S, Ahrén B et al. Vildagliptin add-on to metformin produces similar efficacy and reduced hypoglycaemic risk compared with glimepiride, with no weight gain: results from a 2- year study. Diabetes Obes Metab 12: 780-789, 2012.
21. Filozof C, Gautier J-F. A comparison of efficacy and safety of vildagliptin and gliclazide in combination with metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin alone: a 52-week, randomized study. Diabet Med 27: 318-326, 2010.
22. Bolli G, Dotta F, Colin L, Minic B,Goodman M. Comparison of vildagliptin and pioglitazone in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin. Diabetes ObesMetab 11: 589-595, 2009.
23. Kothny W, Foley J, Kozlovski P, Shao Q,Gallwitz B, Lukashevich V. Improved glycaemic control with vildagliptin added to insulin, with or without metformin, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Obes Metab 15: 252-257, 2013.
24. Fakhoury WK, Lereun C, Wright D. A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled clinical trials assessing the efficacy and safety of incretin-based medications in patients with type 2 diabetes. Pharmacology 86: 44-57, 2010.
25. Signorovitch JE, Wu EQ, Swallow E,Kantor E, Fan L, Gruenberger JB. Comparative efficacy of vildagliptin and sitagliptin in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a matchingadjusted indirect comparison of randomized trials. ClinDrug Invest 31: 665-674, 2011.
26. Aroda VR, Henry RR, Han J et al. Efficacy of GLP-1 receptor agonists and DPP-4 inhibitors: metaanalysis and systematic review. Clin Ther 34: 1247-1258, 2012.
27. Guerci B, Monnier L, Serusclat P et al. Continuous glucose profiles with vildagliptin versus sitagliptin in add-on to metformin: results from the randomized Optima study. Diabetes Metab 38: 359-366, 2012.
28. Marfella R, Barbieri M, Grella R, RizzoMR, Nicoletti GF, Paolisso G. Effects of vildagliptin twice daily vs. sitagliptin once daily on 24-hour acute glucose fluctuations. J Diabetes Complications 24: 79-83, 2010.
29. Matikainen N, Mänttäri S, Schweizer A etal. Vildagliptin therapy reduces postprandial intestinal triglyceride-rich lipoprotein particles in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 49: 2049-2057, 2006.
30. Dejager S, Razac S, Foley JE, Schweizer A. Vildagliptin in drug naive patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week, double-blind, randomized, placebocontrolled, multiple-dose study. Horm Metab Res 39: 218-223, 2007.
31. Keating GM. Vildagliptin - a review of its use in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs 70: 2089-2112, 2010.
32. Blüher M, Kurz I, Dannenmaier S, DworakM. Efficacy and safety of vildagliptin in clinical practice - results of the PROVIL-study. World JDiabetes 3: 161-169, 2012.
33. Ligueros-Saylan M, Foley JE, Schweizer A,Couturier A, Kothny W. An assessment of adverse effects of vildagliptin versus comparators on the liver, the pancreas, the immune system, the skin and in patients with impaired renal function from a large pooled database of Phase II and III clinical trials. Diabetes Obes Metab 12: 495-509, 2010.
34. Lukashevich V, Schweizer A, Shao Q,Groop PH, Kothny W. Safety and efficacy of vildagliptin versus placebo in patients with type 2 diabetes and moderate or severe renal impairment: a prospective 24-week randomized placebo-controlled trial. Diabetes Obes Metab 13: 947-954, 2011.
35. Schweizer A, Dejager S, Foley JE, CouturierA, Ligueros-Saylan M, Kothny W. Assessing the cardio-cerebrovascular safety of vildagliptin: metaanalysis of adjudicated events from a large Phase III type 2 diabetes population. Diabetes Obes Metab 12: 485-494, 2010.
36. Genovese S, Tedeschi D. Effects of vildagliptin/metformin therapy on patient-reported outcomes: work productivity, patient satisfaction, and resource utilization. Adv Ther 30: 152-164, 2013.
37. Waugh N, Cummins E, Royle P et al. Newer agents for blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes: systematic review and economic evaluation (executive summary). Health Technol Assess 14: 1-248, 2010.
38. Nathan DM, Buse JB, Davidson MB et al. Medical management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 32: 193-203, 2009.